News   May 10, 2024
 847     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 976     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

...But but but if we had better driver training we may not get shows like Canada's Worst Driver!

Sorry to report that Canada's Worst Driver ended a few years ago after 14 seasons, meaning we no longer have an incentive to keep our driver training so lax.

I think we talked about this before but this isn't based on actual data but my experience and the experiences of others in my high school. Its not common to see people take their tests in Oshawa or Guelph to get easier instructors. Part of it might be superstition and nothing discounts someone just being lucky and getting either a chill proctor or getting a proctor whose shift and just wants to go home. From what I hear though, Downsview and Newmarket are considered to be the hardest Drive Tests in the GTHA, with the former having to deal with tests running on congested roadways.
Agreed on this front. I took my driving tests in Newmarket, which included the intimidating, steep 404 on-ramps, but I know some of my classmates opted to take their tests in Orangeville instead so they did not have to drive on a 400-series highway.

...But but but if we had better driver training we may not get shows like Canada's Worst Driver!

You do realize this concept was started in the UK and copied in several countries (some where it is still running) including some that many feel are the holy grail of all that is good in driving and roads.

We don't even need helicopters for this. Drones are much cheaper now and they can be used for enforcement. They will also be much more sneaky than a large police cruiser or helicopter.

If you're thinking of quadcopters, even large commercial ones, they have a limited battery live, in the order of 30 minutes. Cheaper than a helicopter for sure (rotary/hour is stupid expensive) but you still have to have operators and accommodating air regulations. If you are thinking some along the lines of a civilian version of a military UAV, I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Certainly they could video an infraction from above, but I'm not sure the optics are good enough to capture the plate as well. Maybe mandate roof licence numbers.

I've been designing the Peninsula Highway or Highway 408
Highway408Final.png

Attachments

• Highway408 (1).png
    Highway408 (1).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
I never understood why more drivers coming in from Mississauga/Milton on the 401 don't stay in the express lanes. From what I see, almost always the collectors jams up where 410 merges and the express is moving quickly until the usual slow down approaching 427.

The weaving from the westbound 401 to the collector lanes for 410 & Dixie is bad. I wish a ramp from 401 express to the mini-express on the northbound 410 was part of that work, but alas.

I never understood why more drivers coming in from Mississauga/Milton on the 401 don't stay in the express lanes. From what I see, almost always the collectors jams up where 410 merges and the express is moving quickly until the usual slow down approaching 427.
One problem with using the core is that if traffic jams up, it can be a long way to a transfer to enable you to bail. At least with the collectors is you might be able to crawl to the next exit and try another option.

Navigation apps. Not sure why but they (can't say all of them however) want you in the collectors here even if you are driving all the way through Toronto past Pickering or vice versa. Blindly following what the computer says is one source of the overuse of the collectors vs the express.

more billions down the drain for sprawl inducing highway that puts a hole in municipal and provincial budgets? What does this do that the QEW does not?
The QEW is nearly at capacity with Hamilton and Niagara region growing faster than the provincial average

Last edited:

Back