News   Jun 28, 2024
 3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 612     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

A roundabout on New Hwy 6? Or is this the old Hwy 6 that is now a local road. A roundabout with this much traffic would be a disaster (in Europe they would signalize a high-volume roundabout).
Currently, Highway 85 north of Waterloo has a roundabout on it, and it manages to handle a fairly large volume of traffic (including trucks) quite well. The only reason to signalize the roundabout would be if the volume was so high, that there was literally no break in which cross traffic could enter roundabout. Highway 6 is busy, but it's not that busy.

no, my understanding is that the new highway 6 will be built to freeway standards. Again, that was my understanding. The roundabout might be on the exit to old 6.

"The bypass will start near Freelton, where the four-lane Highway 6 turns into two lanes, said Puslinch Mayor Dennis Lever. It will continue west around Morriston until it reaches a roundabout northwest of the village."

A roundabout on New Hwy 6? Or is this the old Hwy 6 that is now a local road. A roundabout with this much traffic would be a disaster (in Europe they would signalize a high-volume roundabout).

I found that sentence confusing too. I was under the impression that the bypass was basically being built to 400-series standards.

As for the guy who bought in 2015: Stupid is as stupid does, suck it up buttercup, and do some research next time.

And it seems that the drawings on the 401 widening project website (http://www.highway401-hespeler-halton.ca/highway401/consultation.asp) don't answer the question, as they don't depict a proposed roundabout. It's a relatively new thing.

I think insertnamehere's guess is as good as any. A roundabout on "old" Highway 6 south, where the connector road and 401 onramp meet hwy 6.
highway6.PNG

Attachments

• highway6.PNG
    highway6.PNG
    720.1 KB · Views: 1,918
Not sure quite where it is - but in the UK, there are a lot of roundabout on similar dual carriageways without signals. Signals are relatively unusual. I don't see why it wouldn't work. The capacity is higher than with signals.

Edit - ah, I see on the post above, that the roundabout won't be on the new Highway 6.

Thanks for that graphic, RandomBusGuy. From the looks of it, it looks like the Highway 6 bypass is only a single carriageway. When you look at how the Hanlon and 401 are depicted, it's very clear that both have dual carriageways, but the bypass doesn't have that.

That is very strange, because I would have assumed it would have been a 4-lane, dual carriageway expressway until it met up with the existing 5 lane (2 per direction + centre turning lane) Highway 6, which would be a pretty smooth transition. That image seems to suggest otherwise.

We have a precedent for roundabouts on divided highways - Highway 26 between Collingwood and Wasaga Beach.
That is at the end of the divided highway however, not in the middle of it as presumed here.

They just built a roundabout in Fredricton in the middle of what was previously a freeway though.

Hopefully it will be a dual carriageway - and I would like to see this on the rest of Highway 6 between Morriston and Waterdown (if not a full grade-separated freeway) It's notoriously dangerous.

The graphic also shows a missing roadway at the Highway 6/County Road 34 connector interchange as well.

The graphic also shows a missing roadway at the Highway 6/County Road 34 connector interchange as well.
So it does, and being that far north of 34, I assume they'll close the Maltby Road intersection. This would mean the first set of lights on the Hanlon would be Kortight Road

I assume Woodlawn will become an interchange when they build 7 to Kitchener. This would only leave 6 lights on the Hanlon, down from 11 not that long ago. I wonder what the remaining grade separations is. I expect that this route will become busier once the new Highway 7 opens.

Long term, I could see the Kortright intersection closed (as well as the College Avenue intersection) and replaced with a full interchange at Stone Road.

North of Highway 7/24 (Wellington Street), it's really tight. There are two railway spurs that need to be crossed, as well as three intersections (not counting Woodlawn). If that section is ever grade separated, I would expect there would be no interchanges.

MTO has plans for grade separating the entire thing. I believe Woodlawn and the 2 rail crossings are going to be done as part of the Highway 7 project. The other crossings, who knows when MTO plans on moving on eliminating them.

I am super not familiar with this area or highway but it strikes me that they cheaped out by not connecting the two segments of Highway 6 directly, instead to stay on Highway 6 it looks like you have to go onto the 401 for a bit and then exit off. Do they co-sign Highway 401 in this section as Highway 6? Seems like they almost should. Although I guess that could be confusing as well.

Just my random thoughts.

And if they grade separate most of this highway will it be renamed to a 400-series highway? Although there's already an existing 406 highway which isn't close to this one...

I am super not familiar with this area or highway but it strikes me that they cheaped out by not connecting the two segments of Highway 6 directly, instead to stay on Highway 6 it looks like you have to go onto the 401 for a bit and then exit off. Do they co-sign Highway 401 in this section as Highway 6? Seems like they almost should. Although I guess that could be confusing as well.

Just my random thoughts.

And if they grade separate most of this highway will it be renamed to a 400-series highway? Although there's already an existing 406 highway which isn't close to this one...

If they went straight south from the Hanlon, they'd have to immediately find a way to go above quarries. There's also some environmentally sensitive land in the area to work around. Co-signing with the 401 will likely save many headaches during the construction process.

https://goo.gl/maps/TLhiHsZbQUL2

Back