News   Jul 15, 2024
 761     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 914     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

In the interim I think an immediate priority could also be something like adding signs along our highways advising drivers to yield and make ample room for GO and Greyhound buses. Just to drive the point home about high and highest occupancy vehicles having greater importance on our highways.

No.

If I have paid to use the HOT lane, then I have the right to the full service of the lane, and I'm not moving aside for buses.

If drivers have to move aside for buses, then they won't pay to use the HOT lanes, and it defeats the purpose of the HOT lanes.

The government wants to make money on these lanes, so they're not going to set a "cap" and increase the price of the lane to kick drivers out of the lane.

I'm sure the Ontario government would love to see these HOT lanes jammed pack! CHA-CHING! CHA-CHING!

This might come as a surprise to some people here but the Ontario government is in the business of increasing revenue, and not saving the enviroment.

Last edited:
No.

If I have paid to use the HOT lane, then I have the right to the full service of the lane, and I'm not moving aside for buses.

If drivers have to move aside for buses, then they won't pay to use the HOT lanes, and it defeats the purpose of the HOT lanes.

Oh, whoops. I didn't mean as part of the HOV lane. I just meant in general, and for the Prov's overall attempts at improving our highways' efficiency (which seems to be a bigger component of HOV lanes than simple revenue generation).

In the interim I think an immediate priority could also be something like adding signs along our highways advising drivers to yield and make ample room for GO and Greyhound buses. Just to drive the point home about high and highest occupancy vehicles having greater importance on our highways.

No offense, but that is absurd. GO and Greyhound buses are so rare on highways (probably 1 out of every 1,000 vehicles, if that). And lane changing/weaving like that is not really practical. You can't expect drivers to actually move over like they would for emergency vehicles.

Excess capacity.
The problem, is going to be converting existing lanes into new HOT lanes (like on the 401 through Toronto). At least when conversion is into HOV lanes, there's a notion that it's still a free public access lane (with stipulations). With HOT, there will be the immediate perception of compelling people to pay to use something they used to get for free. I don't envy the marketing team.

No existing regular lanes will be converted to HOV or HOT, this is just fear mongering. The HOV lanes on 401 will be through Mississauga (410 Westerly) as the construction continues.

At least that's what they are saying for now...I actually think a 401 express HOV lane through Toronto may not be the worst thing in the world. It would probably get great usage.

Construction is progressing well on the 427 widening. Traffic on the NB lanes of the road will be shifted over to the newly paved centre portion any day now so they can start rehabilitating the existing NB lanes. Once that's done they'll swap and do the SB lanes and after that they'll cut out the centre strip in the newly paved roadway and put in the concrete tall wall.

With this mild weather we've been having, is there a chance that road/ highway construction and paving will be extended further into winter?

We don't need more highways, need more increased transit links in the region.

tbh I think thats a pretty naive comment to make. One does not simply assume that by cutting roadway development it will lead to more transit use, especially since the gta transits are shit compared to
others. Besides this issue reaches far deeper back decades; Highways to and from the city have been supersaturated for years because of political games and inaction.

Here's where they'd gotten to in terms of alignment choices:

http://www.gta-west.com/pdf/9-1-15/ShortListedRouteandInterchangeLocationAlternativesAug2015.pdf

GTAwest.PNG

Attachments

• GTAwest.PNG
    GTAwest.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 550
tbh I think thats a pretty naive comment to make. One does not simply assume that by cutting roadway development it will lead to more transit use, especially since the gta transits are shit compared to
others. Besides this issue reaches far deeper back decades; Highways to and from the city have been supersaturated for years because of political games and inaction.

This highway is estimated to cost about 4 to 5 billion dollars. I think what Adjei is saying is that that money would be better spent on transit instead, because to be honest I'm having a hard time accepting the old style of thinking that you solve traffic congestion by building more highways.

Back