News   Jul 16, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 552     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Roads: Montreal reduces city speed limits to 40 km/h

Maybe taxes will be reduced with the sharp increase in speeding ticket revenue. :D

two ways of dealing with pot holes.

1. fix them

2. lower the speed limit by 10km/h so people can't feel them

Just about every side street I have seen in Toronto (not the arteries, multi-lane, or main streets) currently has the 40 km/h signs on them. I see it as just switching which streets will have the posted signs. If there are no posted speed limit signs on an urban street, then speed limit will be 40 km/h, while the rest (the arteries, multi-lane, and main streets) will have 50 km/h or 60 km/h or whatever as posted. If some street needs the 30 km/h posted, that will still be posted.

The urban roads and streets will be assumed to be 40 km/h, unless otherwise posted. The rural roads will still be assumed to be 80 km/h, unless otherwise posted.

two ways of dealing with pot holes.

1. fix them

2. lower the speed limit by 10km/h so people can't feel them

A little off topic UD2, but you'll likely feel the pot holes more going slower over them where the car reacts to every single bump, instead of going fast when you glide right through. Of course that's dependent on the softness of your shocks. The show Mythbusters did a show on that.

Just about every side street I have seen in Toronto (not the arteries, multi-lane, or main streets) currently has the 40 km/h signs on them.

Maybe in downtown. Up here in Scarborough, only streets in school zones have 40 km/hr limits, otherwise every side street is 50 km/hr

Why am I not surprised to hear this? Another cash-grab by the City of Montreal. No where else have I seen so many streets with the ridiculous undriveable speed limit of 30 kph. Nobody drives this speed, certainly the police don't. I saw a police car behind me once and I drove 30 kph just to see how he liked it. As soon as a second lane appeared, he floored it and passed me. I'm sure later he nabbed someone for doing what he did.

Just because the signs say 50, does not mean that drivers don't push 60. Reducing the limit to 40 will save lives only if cops enforce it.

But speeding is not the issue in Montreal, it is drivers cutting off cyclists at intersections when turning. I have seen so many close calls on de Maisonneuve that I'm hesitant to cycle on Montreal's streets. The city should continue to legislate and enforce common sense for those who lack it, but not only in Montreal.

Hey, how about some real annoying fun. Impose 40k speed limits on the Decarie, as well

Just about every side street I have seen in Toronto (not the arteries, multi-lane, or main streets) currently has the 40 km/h signs on them. I see it as just switching which streets will have the posted signs. If there are no posted speed limit signs on an urban street, then speed limit will be 40 km/h, while the rest (the arteries, multi-lane, and main streets) will have 50 km/h or 60 km/h or whatever as posted. If some street needs the 30 km/h posted, that will still be posted.

The urban roads and streets will be assumed to be 40 km/h, unless otherwise posted. The rural roads will still be assumed to be 80 km/h, unless otherwise posted.

What they will likely do is just put new signs on roads which are currently 50 and have no signs. Then for roads which are currently 40 and have signs, they will just never replace those signs. Good way to save money if they have a lot more '40' then '50' signs.

But speeding is not the issue in Montreal, it is drivers cutting off cyclists at intersections when turning.

Very many of those incidents occur when a cyclist, upset that the motorist in front of him is slowing down, speeds up to pass the car on the right - only to discover too late that the car is turning right.

I have seen that happen many times, in both Montreal and Toronto. And yes, in many cases the motorist had even signaled the turn. :eek:

When I lived in Montreal (which granted was many years ago), the police didn't enforce the speed limits anywhere near as much as they did in Toronto.

Dunno if that's changed though.

What they will likely do is just put new signs on roads which are currently 50 and have no signs. Then for roads which are currently 40 and have signs, they will just never replace those signs. Good way to save money if they have a lot more '40' then '50' signs.

Actually, there are no 40 signs in Mtl, only 30 (for school and playground) and 50.

A little off topic UD2, but you'll likely feel the pot holes more going slower over them where the car reacts to every single bump, instead of going fast when you glide right through. Of course that's dependent on the softness of your shocks. The show Mythbusters did a show on that.

Next time my struts start leaking becasuse I've ran a pothole too fast. I'll make sure to have you pay for the replacement.

otherwise... my point remains more valid.

effect of pot holes proportionally decrase with speed.

Next time my struts start leaking becasuse I've ran a pothole too fast. I'll make sure to have you pay for the replacement.

otherwise... my point remains more valid.

effect of pot holes proportionally decrase with speed.

does that work for plot holes too? ... just asking...

Paris to Set Default Citywide Speed Limit Below 20 MPH (30 Km/H)

From this link:

Paris has enacted slow zones over much of the city in recent years. New Mayor Anne Hidalgo wants to go further. Map via World Streets

Slow-speed zones are an increasingly widespread tactic to improve street safety and urban livability. Inspired by a German town that limited motor vehicle speeds to 30 kilometers per hour — or roughly 19 miles per hour — British activists have made 20 mph zones a core street safety policy across the nation.

A slow zone in Paris. Photo via World Streets

The movement has begun to catch on in the United States, where New York City has been implementing 20 mph zones on neighborhood streets.

Now Eric Britton at World Streets reports that Paris, which has a number of slow zones already, is taking the idea citywide:

The just-elected new Mayor of Paris, Madame Anne Hidalgo, has prepared a revolutionary sustainable mobility project whereby virtually all of the streets of the city will be subject to a maximum speed limit of 30 km/hr.

The only exceptions in the plan are a relatively small number of major axes into the city and along the two banks of the Seine, where the speed limit will be 50 km/hr, and the city’s hard pressed ring road (périphérique) where the top permissible speed has recently been reduced from 80 to 70 km/hr. At the other end of the slowth spectrum are a certain number of “meeting zones” (zones de rencontre) spotted around the city in which pedestrians and cyclists have priority but mix with cars which are limited to a top speed of 20 km/hr. A veritable révolution à la française.

This major policy initiative has not however taken place overnight, since for some years now there has been a steady increase in the number of zones reserved for pedestrians only, and more recently a step-by-step movement to “eco-areas” (see http://www.eco-quartiers.fr) where top speeds are already limited to 30 km/hr. By 2013 some 560 kilometers of the city streets were already in such areas, about one third of the total.

Britton says the policy change will have far-ranging effects:

As traffic speeds are significantly brought down across the city, a number of very important things occur as a direct result: substantially fewer accidents, significant reduction in serious injuries and deaths, energy savings, reduce dependence on imported fossil fuels, local air pollution reduction, quality-of-life improvements all those who live and work, and play and study there, improved conditions and local accessibility for local business, significantly reduced carbon stress on climate, and the long list goes on.

Too bad Paris is not a world class city, according to Rob Ford's standards.

Back