News   Jul 16, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 441     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Roads: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

There are two things in your little statement that are unconstitutional. Photo radar, and more glaringly, an increase in penalty for simply fighting a charge.

Why is photo radar unconstitutional but, say, red light cameras are not? Aren't cameras part of the enforcement protocol for the HOT lanes Ontario is about to introduce? Why would they be any less unconstitutional than enforcing speed limits with cameras?

There are already discounts offered for not challenging, and paying promptly, some charges (like parking tickets) so adding another tier of pricing also seems like it might survive a constitutional challenge.

The government doesn't want to increase the speed limit because it would mean a cut in revenue.
Right ... what is the provincial revenue from speeding tickets each year?

I'd think if they were interested in revenue, they'd actually enforce the speed limit a bit more closely. In good weather, you have to be doing significantly more than 110 km/hr on a rural 400-series highway to get a ticket. At 100 km/hr I feel unsafe with all the stuff ripping past me ...

I'm quite sure they could easily get the same revenue if they increased the speed limit.

As others have stated, 120 km/h is the maximum speed that should be legally allowed on 400 series highways. If speed limits are increased, so should the fines. No point incentivizing people to drive much faster than that when the majority can't drive properly to begin with.

Personally, the OPP should really focus more on lane discipline and distracted driving as opposed to "speeding," as these are two issues that 1) seriously impede traffic flow and 2) are a serious danger on our roads.

If you want to drive slow, then get the hell out of the fast lane, grandma. Also, it is absolutely mind boggling seeing the vast number of people who text and drive these days. Seems like everybody is too important to leave their phones alone while they drive. If you're going to T&D, you might as well have a bottle of Jack in the cup holder too.

Last edited:
As I said earlier, the express lanes should have speed limits increased to 120 km/h, while the collector lanes should be no more than 100 km/h. Why? Express lanes should be express and collector lanes should be a little slower for those who can't drive fast, as well as it being a good transition.

With regards to T&D, it would be a good idea if the driver has a passenger who does the texting for him/her, but there are many who drive alone, which makes things much more dangerous.

Personally, the OPP should really focus more on lane discipline and distracted driving as opposed to "speeding," as these are two issues that 1) seriously impede traffic flow and 2) are a serious danger on our roads.

If those are common behaviours and are dangerous.....are they not more dangerous at 120 km/hour than they are are 100 km/hour?

If those are common behaviours and are dangerous.....are they not more dangerous at 120 km/hour than they are are 100 km/hour?

Perhaps drivers are more inclined to do other things when they are travelling at such a slow speed that they feel the driving does not require their full attention.

A valid question if people actually paid any attention to the 100 km/h speed limit. But they don't. People drive the speed that feels comfortable and safe, and since our highways are designed for 130, that's what people drive. The speed limit, the design speed, and the speed that the police enforce should all be the same.

There are some lucrative tickets to be handed out on 401 exits to people diving across 2-3 lanes because they have been hogging the outside lane. Absolute madness.

Well, these behaviours aren't exactly synonymous with speed. People texting and driving are not only a real danger to others around them, they typically drive slower or leave huge gaps between themselves and the car in front to diminish the chances of a collision. Slow drivers who hog the passing lane inhibit others from passing on the left.

Speed is one thing, and I'm of the mindset that travelling faster than 130 km/h is reckless, but violations of good driving practices should be more routinely enforced irregardless of speed.

Last edited:
There are two things in your little statement that are unconstitutional. Photo radar, and more glaringly, an increase in penalty for simply fighting a charge.
If you want to throw around words like unconstitutional, feel free to cite case law. I don't see how the latter couldn't be effected by simply hiking the standard penalties and then providing for a reduction if "pleaded to" and the fine paid.

The courts are jammed with people who are simply trying it on, to get off on a technicality. This has implications for public funds, and it's time it stopped.

EDIT: if PR is unconstitutional it wouldn't exist in Winnipeg or Edmonton (quote below)

To date, Photo Radar has been challenged on technical and constitutional arguments, even up to the Court of Appeal in the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia. However, the issue of photo radar has withstood all appeals and petitions.

Last edited:
If you want to drive slow, then get the hell out of the fast lane, grandma. Also, it is absolutely mind boggling seeing the vast number of people who text and drive these days. Seems like everybody is too important to leave their phones alone while they drive. If you're going to T&D, you might as well have a bottle of Jack in the cup holder too.

Can't say I've seen any square cupholders. If you want something that fits and supports local brewers, I'd recommend Forty Creek.

I think 120 km is perfectly reasonable for Ontario 400 series highways. However, I don't think any of our highways in the GTA should have this speed limit. It is perfectly reasonable to be going 120-140 on a simple stretch of highway on your way to Northern Ontario, Montreal, or Southwest Ontario. It is not perfectly reasonable to be doing the same speed in heavy traffic, with dense frequency of interchange and people switching back and forth between 6 lanes in the GTA.

Back