News   May 10, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Roads: Highway 407 East (Durham Region)

I'm not talking about the entire thing, just the small gap between between the future 407 interchange and where the 400-series section begins. On this screenshot, the interchange will be just south of the 35 badge.
The construction does rebuild a small piece of 115 up to the next interchange - but there's still a small gap:

I'm not talking about the entire thing, just the small gap between between the future 407 interchange and where the 400-series section begins. On this screenshot, the interchange will be just south of the 35 badge.

View attachment 25051

Is 407 built for GTA people going to their Kawartha Cottages, or for through traffic on the 401 to by-pass Toronto. I would have thought that connecting down to the 401 with a freeway would be a higher priority than connecting north towards Peterborough - and this might be easier done with a new alignment towards the SE (Newtonville), rather than upgrading the current 35/115.

Is 407 built for GTA people going to their Kawartha Cottages, or for through traffic on the 401 to by-pass Toronto. I would have thought that connecting down to the 401 with a freeway would be a higher priority than connecting north towards Peterborough - and this might be easier done with a new alignment towards the SE (Newtonville), rather than upgrading the current 35/115.

my opinion on this is totally dependant on the outcome of the Princess Margaret early bird draw ;)

I would be tempted to use it as a way to access Highway 7 to get to Ottawa. I already do today via the 401 and 115, but using the 407 would be a nice alternative.

There is another MTO study looking at the Peterborough area and Highway 7 corridor, however it has been dormant over the last year
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/13923-Peterborough-Area-and-Highway-7-Corridor-studies

index-notice_exhibit_540.jpg

Both. The two 407 connectors in Durham and the 115 connection will give lots of flexibility for drivers and make it useful for both purposes.

There is another MTO study looking at the Peterborough area and Highway 7 corridor, however it has been dormant over the last year
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/13923-Peterborough-Area-and-Highway-7-Corridor-studies

They just re-did Highway 7 east of Peterborough a couple years ago (widened to 4 or 5 lanes undivided), so I doubt that much work will be done there in the near future with regards to extending the controlled access highway, but you never know.

The transition to phase of diversions at Brock road according to this PDF began last week. The southbound Brock to westbound 407 ramp closed and has now been ripped up, and the diversion of the mainline 407 further west is now being graded. I presume they will make the full switch including the realignment of highway 7 onto the future westbound carriageway in the next month or so.

Highway 7 has now officially been diverted onto the future westbound carriageway through the future Brock road interchange. The changeover was made last weekend. This weekend it appears as though the existing 407 will be shifted entirely to the northbound carriageway for the last km or two, to allow for the construction of a proper eastbound carriageway.

In the coming months the Brock road overpass structure will begin as well as the deconstruction of the old highway 7 alignment to allow for the construction of the eastbound carriageway.
I believe after this weekend they will be in the first diversion "phase" as detailed in the PDF I linked in my last post.

The Brock Road realignment has also been paved.

Last edited:
The Brock Road Brougham Bypass / realignment opened today, along with the new Brock Road interchange. Its only a partial interchange right now, serving people going westbound and coming from the west on the 407.

The 401 has been completely realigned at the new 412 interchange for a while now, too.

Has there been any public word on whether the construction group expects to open phase 1 on time? Their web site has gotten very quiet.

I've been kind of wondering this myself as well. There have been no updates for a while, from any source.

As far as my contacts in the MTO go, they're still assuming/being told that it will open late this year. Which would blow me away, considering how much work there still is to do.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back