News   Jul 16, 2024
 579     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 688     2 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

No, I'd take the far right lane ... or the far left lane. Though I haven't driven it since last week before the change.

Why would you stay in a lane that you know is going to end? I hate it when people merge at the last possible moment ...

They are continuing to rip up the old asphalt in the express lanes now. They have made pretty good progress and it looks like they have ripped up a little over a kilometer of road or so starting about 500m from the 410. Interesting though, why is there no concrete bed underneath the old express lanes? Did they not put concrete under the asphalt when they first built the 401, is this a new idea?

if they do that, it would require another environmental assesment which will delay the highway even longer. do u really want them to delay it possibly any longer

Why would you stay in a lane that you know is going to end? I hate it when people merge at the last possible moment ...
Why would you leave a lane, before the merge. That only slows down the cars in the lane your merging into, and encourages fools to race up along side you in the lane you've just left. Best to simply hold a steady speed, position yourself to merge, and do so near the end. That's the safest and produces the optimal traffic flow.

Why would you leave a lane, before the merge. That only slows down the cars in the lane your merging into, and encourages fools to race up along side you in the lane you've just left. Best to simply hold a steady speed, position yourself to merge, and do so near the end. That's the safest and produces the optimal traffic flow.

I noticed that if u stay in the right lane, it exits at mavis so if ur getting off at mavis, you can stay in the right lane, its usually empty, then u can get to mavis quick, or u can merge back to the collector lanes because they usually open up at mavis so u can squeeze back in over there cus ppl drive like slow pokes.

I noticed that if u stay in the right lane, it exits at mavis so if ur getting off at mavis, you can stay in the right lane, its usually empty, then u can get to mavis quick, or u can merge back to the collector lanes because they usually open up at mavis so u can squeeze back in over there cus ppl drive like slow pokes.

That's what I've been doing.

That's what I've been doing.

Nice I took it again today and noticed going westbound its its 5 lanes till u hit mavis, then 2 lanes will shift to the off ramp, and 3 lanes continue westbound to peel regioal road 1.

My guess is when all the construction is done, there will be 3 core and 3 collector lanes and 2 will exit on mavis, and 4 will continue west bound untill they revamp the mississauga road bridge

Is it just me or anyone noticing there is less congestion on the west bound 401 at the new merge point than there has been in the previous weeks?

i guess people are getting to know the traffic and driving accordingly, or taking alternate routes.

Is it just me or anyone noticing there is less congestion on the west bound 401 at the new merge point than there has been in the previous weeks?

i guess people are getting to know the traffic and driving accordingly, or taking alternate routes.
Well it is August. I remember when I first started commuting to the GTA, through this area from Kitchener years ago ... in August. It got very different after Labour Day.

New pic from Asphaltplanet.ca on Kennedy Road:
401_cl_343_east_c_Aug1212_forum.jpg

Via http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190293&page=59

Well it is August. I remember when I first started commuting to the GTA, through this area from Kitchener years ago ... in August. It got very different after Labour Day.

Very true. I like to think that it's because of people taking vacation in the summer. That's always what I blame it on.

It's much lighter in this area than it was in June. Thankfully I'm moving before labour day and won't have to deal with this area during rush hour daily anymore.

I'm curious how long it is until they move the EB lanes into the new Collectors. They're looking closer to being complete.

So once all the EB lanes are moved to the new collectors, they'll be able to redo the new express lanes...and then they'll be done. And the ETA on this is 2013 IIRC...I wonder when in 2013. And I wonder when phase II starts.

Looks to be some action this weekend on the Eastbound lanes:

From MTO

Highway 401 from Highway 403 and 410 to west of Mclaughlin Road including Hurontario Street north and south of Highway 401. Expect delays up to 10 minutes. Friday August 24 7:00 p.m. to Saturday August 25 11:30 a.m. Ramp 401 Eastbound to Hurontario Northbound/Southbound closed and Lane 3 closed on Highway 401 Eastbound from Mavis Road to Highway 410. Friday August 24 Lane 2 will also be closed at 8:30 p.m. and re-open Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Saturday August 25 8:30 p.m. to Sunday August 26 11:30 a.m. Ramp from Highway 401 Eastbound to Hurontario Northbound/Southbound closed; Lanes 2 and 3 of Highway 401 Eastbound closed from Mavis Road to Highway 410; ramp Highway 401 Eastbound to Highway 410 Northbound closed; access to Highway 401 Eastbound collectors east of Highway 410 closed; ramp Highway 401 Eastbound to Dixie Road Northbound/Southbound closed. Sunday August 26 8:30 p.m. to Monday August 27 5:00 a.m.; Ramp 401 Eastbound to Hurontario Northbound/Southbound closed; Lanes 2 and 3 of Highway 401 Eastbound closed from Mavis Road to Highway 410; ramp 401 Eastbound to Highway 410 Northbound closed; access to Highway 401 Eastbound collectors east of Highway 410 closed; ramp Highway 401 Eastbound to Dixie Road Northbound/Southbound closed. Friday August 24 7:00 p.m. to Monday August 27 5:00a.m.: ramps Hurontario Street Nothbound and Soutbound to Highway 401 Eastbound closed.

Honestly that's extremely difficult to read. I really tried and it just turns into a jumble. It could be written better, or even better, diagrammed.

Back