News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9K     9 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

More palatable, politically, perhaps. But I don't think it would do much for reducing congestion or car-oriented development. The cost likely wouldn't be borne directly by the user, so businesses would likely continue to supply just about as much parking as they do now (absorbed as the cost of attracting customers/employees). This would especially be the case if minimum parking provisions continue to be mandated through regulation.

Street parking belongs to the city. I'd be concerned about them taxing their own property; they might actually find a way to take a loss on it.

As much as most of me would like to see the Gardiner torn down, there still is something striking about the old pile of concrete and steel.

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

If I recall correctly it's a full EA. That means years and I've heard the number 4 tossed around. I say study the hell out of it, as it will be challenged no matter the findings.

It should be like the Decarie Highway or Ville-Marie Highway in Montreal.

528985591_0a4dd76566.jpg

2736733331_00aed40530.jpg

it would be more pedestrian friendly to cross the highway by bridges or just by building parks on top of it.

...and destruction which came, in its turn, to be decried once Montreal's own "urban reform" movement came to pass in the 70s.

So, in practice, advocating these Montreal solutions today would be like advocating "trenching" Spadina Avenue today...

...and destruction which came, in its turn, to be decried once Montreal's own "urban reform" movement came to pass in the 70s.
1970s ... Montreal was still removing housing in the 1980s for the Ville Marie extension ... that they still haven't built.

Implode & demolish it - all of it from the Humber River to the Don.

i used to think that too when it stood all alone and ugly. now it winds through a forest of condos and looks much more like it belongs. a little bit of tokyo right here in toronto.

The majority of drivers on the Gardiner are from Mississauga or Oakville. It was definitely a mistake for Harris to download the QEW (from 427 to the Humber) to Toronto, saying it is a local road. If the Gardiner is to be kept, then either the Ontario government or the 905 should help pay to maintain it.
Maybe tolls, with rebates for Toronto residents, maybe in order, if we wish to keep the DVP ramp.

Back