News   Jul 15, 2024
 251     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

New question... Are these ramps being over designed? Would we be able to essentially build them like a 400 series flyover ramp and save money? (Ie. single piers for support, wider spans between supports, etc.)

I would argue against the temptation to go cheap - we are creating a revitalized space - the ramps should be designed as iconic structures in their own right.

AoD

I would argue against the temptation to go cheap - we are creating a revitalized space - the ramps should be designed as iconic structures in their own right.

AoD

Oh, I'd definitely support that idea!

But if we're going the cheap route, I hope we get something like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6376...4!1skT0jL3qPo2aNC4GRLn0maQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Instead of something like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6507...4!1sxCjpU_0RJgyxLhddrsMsWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's no reason to use any support columns at all. The Gardiner East should be rebuilt on a berm along the rail corridor as in DTAH's proposal with a developable strip of property and Lakeshore Blvd running alongside.

We'd save on hundreds of millions in maintenance for decades by not building an elevated expressway, it would be cheaper to build and we'd have property worth billions of dollars in development. Done smartly, the city can turn a profit in replacing the Gardiner.

I agree that the berm option is worth looking at, from the standpoints both of urbanism and economics. There was an idea a few years back of using the underused space on the existing berm, but that was found to be unavailable. A couple of issues will be:
  • The "tunnels" some folks complain about where Jarvis, Sherbourne, and Parliament cross under would more or less double in length. That takes us back into the unresolvable "two barriers, which is worse" argument, but if you're already in an underpass and it only takes an extra 17 seconds to get out, and you don't have to walk under a hulking expressway at the other end, I don't see that as a huge problem.
  • It would more or less rule out any extra development land between Yonge and Cherry, but so do the lie-brid and boulevard options. I suspect building a berm costs significantly less than a concrete structure (it's a place to put fill) and little or nothing to maintain over the years. And staging the construction would not be too challenging.

There's no reason to use any support columns at all. The Gardiner East should be rebuilt on a berm along the rail corridor as in DTAH's proposal with a developable strip of property and Lakeshore Blvd running alongside.

We'd save on hundreds of millions in maintenance for decades by not building an elevated expressway, it would be cheaper to build and we'd have property worth billions of dollars in development. Done smartly, the city can turn a profit in replacing the Gardiner.

The bridge between the DVP and Gardiner (whatever the alignment for that stretch) will require a bridge. That's the bit I am proposing to turn lemon into lemonade.

AoD

Are you proposing something similar to the Queensway through downtown Ottawa? It's elevated, but it's a berm instead of with support columns.

Last edited:
Green Gardiner Proposal by Brook McIlroy mentioned in the Staff report (and posted in Spacing)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfsmaf1ffb056kt/BMI-GreenGardiner-2015-09-22-draft - LIGHT.pdf?dl=0

I can definitely live with this proposal - and it would be very, very interesting indeed if they tie it to Smartrack. That said, I am not convinced by the NS greenways given the amount of grade change required.

AoD

I remember going on a Jane's Walk for Gardiner East, and someone was going around advocating for decking the existing Gardiner with a Beltline Trail. I dismissed it as absurd.

This, however, I could get behind. Particularly if the adjacent private development could be leveraged for some of the capital outlay.

I remember going on a Jane's Walk for Gardiner East, and someone was going around advocating for decking the existing Gardiner with a Beltline Trail. I dismissed it as absurd.

This, however, I could get behind. Particularly if the adjacent private development could be leveraged for some of the capital outlay.

Having said that, I am worried about adding even more height to the rail berm and the impact it would have. Think we need to model it further - the proposal to build on the north side of the berm is a little unconvincing at this point.

AoD

Green Gardiner Proposal by Brook McIlroy mentioned in the Staff report (and posted in Spacing)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfsmaf1ffb056kt/BMI-GreenGardiner-2015-09-22-draft - LIGHT.pdf?dl=0

I can definitely live with this proposal - and it would be very, very interesting indeed if they tie it to Smartrack. That said, I am not convinced by the NS greenways given the amount of grade change required.

AoD

I can definitely live with this proposal as well. I never really bought the idea that we couldn't build the Gardiner over the rail corridor (see: I-280 leading into San Francisco), but adding new tracks AND getting a more appealing-looking Gardiner is definitely something I could get behind. I also like the fact that it would allow Lake Shore to be build at a more human scale (~6 lanes), instead of what would have in essence been an 8 lane at-grade highway.

I thought that "Option 3" still had the DVP to Gardiner ramp under the rail corridor. This one has it over top of the railway.

Back