News   Jul 05, 2024
 103     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 856     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

That's a spurious argument; we all pay taxes for things we don't use. They exist so that we can use them for their intended purpose. If anything it is selfish to close roads for events that aren't inclusive to all residents of the city!

Maybe for you, but for others it can be quite inconvenient. For many people Sunday is a work day, and it's a time when transit service is the worst.

Spurious only for selfish drivers who don't think they should need to share the road with other modes of transportation.

They're inclusive, you just have to sign up ;)

I've done many event and I'm no athlete

I don't think the Toronto Triathlon Festival people would allow me on the route it if I just showed up with my bike on Sunday morning... Likewise with the Ride for Heart you have to actually participate in the Ride for Heart.

Even though some are charitable events, the fact remains that these are private organizations making use of public resources while inconveniencing those who don't participate.

Spurious only for selfish drivers who don't think they should need to share the road with other modes of transportation.

Nice rebuttal, troll. A triathlon is not a mode of transportation, and streetcars, buses and bicycles can't use roads when they're closed either. You ever suffered through a streetcar detour when the MMVAs are on, for example?

Of course I've experienced delays like that on transit. Inconvenient, but part of life in a healthy vibrant city, and I don't mind sharing the road with events that bring that kind of life to my home. Trying to get rid of these events because you have to detour a bit on a few Sundays a year is selfish. Not being able to see past the occasional delayed trip is sad.

IMG_4470 1 copy.JPG

"You don't really expect the Hybrid EA to be approved do you?"

Attachments

• IMG_4470 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4470 1 copy.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 499
Why does city council have to close roads in the most disruptive way possible every single weekend, and close subway lines for construction at the same time? This is in a city with a tiny subway system that the left wing of council is hostile to expanding. The endless road closures in this city have gotten totally out of hand and Tory has to do something about this. People have to get to work on weekends. The province would never allow silly special events to close the 401 on weekends. It would be much better if the province would upload the Gardiner and DVP and put an end to this permanently.

I don't think the Toronto Triathlon Festival people would allow me on the route it if I just showed up with my bike on Sunday morning... Likewise with the Ride for Heart you have to actually participate in the Ride for Heart.

Even though some are charitable events, the fact remains that these are private organizations making use of public resources while inconveniencing those who don't participate.
I did say you just have to sign up. So once you do that, yes, you just show up.

I can make silly arguments too.

The Gardiner already excludes people. I can't use it during the vast majority of time.

I don't think the cops would let me on the Gardiner if I just showed up with my bike or on foot on a regular Sunday morning. I suppose I could "sign up" and take a GO bus to enjoy those Gardiner views.

I get inconvenienced all the time by events around the city. Events that take over streets on the way to places I'm trying to get to. Events that take over my favourite parks. Events that make noise. Events that smell (good and bad). I roll with it.

Maybe for you, but for others it can be quite inconvenient. For many people Sunday is a work day, and it's a time when transit service is the worst.

One way or another, some people will be inconvenienced. The city administration tries to count them and minimize the impact.

Living in a big city has both pros and cons. We can't have only pros and avoid all cons.

• TORONTO TRIATHALON FESTIVAL - DETOUR
    Effective June 21 2015 (02:00am -12:00pm )
    The City of Toronto is hosting the Toronto Triathlon Festival During this time, the eastbound Gardiner Expressway will be closed from the Humber River to the Don Valley Parkway. Also, the northbound Don Valley Parkway will be closed.During this time: GO Buses operating to the east and north will detour and travel on the westbound Gardiner to Hwy. 427 North and Hwy. 407E. GO Buses operating from the west to Union will utilize Lakeshore Boulevard. Please plan ahead as service may be delayed during this time.
This is completely unacceptable.

My parents commented on the closure of the Gardiner this morning since they were actually coming into the city during the closure. Surprisingly they said that traffic wasn't that bad on the Queensway, and that they should close the highway more often for events since they really enjoyed doing Ride for Heart this year.

Back