News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Do what was mentioned a while back in this thread. Tunnel the Gardiner and rail corridor under the harbourfront -- build landfill out about 150-200m beyond the current water's edge -- from Spadina to Parliament -- and build parks, cafes and restaurants along this new land. That would finally give us the waterfront we've been dreaming about for decades.

Do what was mentioned a while back in this thread. Tunnel the Gardiner and rail corridor under the harbourfront -- build landfill out about 150-200m beyond the current water's edge -- from Spadina to Parliament -- and build parks, cafes and restaurants along this new land. That would finally give us the waterfront we've been dreaming about for decades.

I fear that by only considering the East Gardiner, the results of the EA will be heavily skewed against a complete solution. There is no option to consider rebuilding the entire Gardiner if the scope is only the east. As such, maintaining the existing or removing are the only options that will probably be considered.

The pictures make me want to remove this section of Gardiner I don't use even more lol. As long as they leave the part of the Gardiner I use I'm fine with it. Selfish viewpoint? Yes.

I'm also a fan of the tear it down option, it'll help put pressure on extending the Queen's Quay streetcar ROW eastward, building infill GO stations, and actually building the eastern portion of the DRL.

I'm not confident that council will be enthusiastic about tearing down the gardiner. We have a mayor and a chair of the public works & infrastructure committee who are against anything that doesn't have a carbon-spewing exhaust pipe. Even though the outcome will have a huge impact on the city's future, this debate will probably be a lot like the transit debates, with no facts whatsoever. Expect to hear plenty of "war on cars", "traffic chaos", and "bicycle riding downtown lefties". It's too bad this issue couldn't wait until we get a new mayor.

I actually like the tunneled option. Too bad it's not mentioned but not considered. It would be great if they did the tunnel option and included a DRL or some kind of transit line at the same time.

I'm rooting for "remove" (cheapest and most beautiful option), but I hope they add active uses to the north side, like a library or a gym or a supermarket, anything that will bring people to this area and help connect a little bit more both sides of the rail corridor.

I'm part of the minority here it seems, but I think removing the Gardiner would be a horrible idea. Sometimes you need to drive in to downtown, and it's already enough of a pain in the ass getting in there by car. Without the Gardiner every single street within 2 kms of the freeway would get even more congested.

Smaller cities in Canada don't have freeways serving their downtowns, because they don't need it. Fact is, there are more trucks needing to get into the city than total cars in downtown London (for example). Having thousands of trucks having to use city streets would be far worse than the current situation IMO.

Yes, the Gardiner isn't the greatest looking thing, but all these claims that it creates a pedestrian barrier between downtown and the waterfront, to me, is baloney. I've crossed Lakeshore plenty of times afoot and did not feel unsafe or uncomfortable at all. And every time I do walk there I'm surrounded by plenty of other people who also don't seem to be bothered by it.

If they were building a highway from scratch and had the space without having to demolish anything in the process, then yes, burying it would be a lot more elegant. But as it is, I don't think it's realistic. There would be at least a 5 year period of intolerable congestion, it would cost billions, and the only other city to have done it hasn't exactly come out of it with a perfect system (tons of structural, electrical and leakage problems).

I'm part of the minority here it seems, but I think removing the Gardiner would be a horrible idea. Sometimes you need to drive in to downtown, and it's already enough of a pain in the ass getting in there by car. Without the Gardiner every single street within 2 kms of the freeway would get even more congested.

I'm not concerned by that. Various other cities around the continent have removed/reduced urban freeways without it harming traffic. Drivers found new routes (often faster than the old route), property values increased and everyone was happy.

The congestion we see on the Gardiner appears to be a symptom of induced demand.

Back