News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 405     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

There's a door to door streetcar from this guys house to his workplace, and instead of taking that hour to read, rest, chat with friends/family, or do whatever else he wants, he complains to CP24 about how long it takes for him to drive.
Caronto forever. :(

There's a door to door streetcar from this guys house to his workplace, and instead of taking that hour to read, rest, chat with friends/family, or do whatever else he wants, he complains to CP24 about how long it takes for him to drive.
I have not felt the effects of the Gardiner because I live downtown and take transit to work. Weird how that works.

CP24 doing a good TorontoLife impression here.

That's like jumping into a lake and then complaining that you got wet -- repeatedly.
What was he expecting when deciding to try to drive into the downtown of a metropolis of millions of people? Downtown Pefferlaw?
Even Arnold Ziffel would have known better than to try doing that.

Last edited:
Except it currently requires a transfer, and takes 75 minutes from Leslieville to St Joseph's according to Google. Also, you're probably going to be standing so it won't be relaxing. I don't blame people for driving with how slow our streetcars are.

It would be interesting to hear what these drivers have to say after parts of the Gardiner fell down due the no maintained or rebuildation with someone getting injured or kill because of it. At the same time, how they plan on getting around the disaster.

Its amassing how people want to push things down the road that work and cost to fix thing doesn't happen on their watch, but someone else watch. Its a money pit and out dated at the same time.

It will happen down the road, but not in most of this board life cycle that it will be removed as proposed 30 years ago and since then to today thinking.

Reactions: PL1
Except it currently requires a transfer, and takes 75 minutes from Leslieville to St Joseph's according to Google. Also, you're probably going to be standing so it won't be relaxing. I don't blame people for driving with how slow our streetcars are.
Our streetcars are slow due traffic 100%. Get rid of traffic, transit will be a lot faster than it is. Even driving is slow without transit being in the way on Queen or King caused by left turns or cross traffic blocking the intersections.

Our streetcars are slow due traffic 100%. Get rid of traffic, transit will be a lot faster than it is. Even driving is slow without transit being in the way on Queen or King caused by left turns or cross traffic blocking the intersections.
Agreed. But Toronto will never do that so the problem continues.

I would say it's because of the many many bizarre rules, stop before proceeding through intersection, stop at every switch, stop because switch has to be manually changed. stop when passing some little sign hanging from the wires. Then there's the million detours currently in place which add additional time, And, they drive really slowly, back years ago when i used to take the 501 daily they used to be driven at the speed of traffic and were way faster. If you are lucky enough to pass a streetcar now when driving it's a speck in your rearview mirror after 30 seconds.

Door to door? He'd have to change vehicles and hope they show up when expected. The streetcar times are incredibly unreliable from the experience of people I work with. My boss would leave from humber bay to the core. He'd leave the same time daily, there would be a 45 min variation in the times he'd show up. Also do you think a Nurse would want to stand for 75 mins after working 12-14 hours?

It would be interesting to hear what these drivers have to say after parts of the Gardiner fell down due the no maintained or rebuildation with someone getting injured or kill because of it. At the same time, how they plan on getting around the disaster.

Its amassing how people want to push things down the road that work and cost to fix thing doesn't happen on their watch, but someone else watch. Its a money pit and out dated at the same time.

It will happen down the road, but not in most of this board life cycle that it will be removed as proposed 30 years ago and since then to today thinking.
I think it's an impossible feat. The 401 has a 4+ year construction project going on and the whole gardiner rebuild will take over a decade. Either we fix the 401 "too early" and waste money or close more sections in parallel.

I would say it's because of the many many bizarre rules, stop before proceeding through intersection, stop at every switch, stop because switch has to be manually changed. stop when passing some little sign hanging from the wires. Then there's the million detours currently in place which add additional time, And, they drive really slowly, back years ago when i used to take the 501 daily they used to be driven at the speed of traffic and were way faster. If you are lucky enough to pass a streetcar now when driving it's a speck in your rearview mirror after 30 seconds.
Yes the stop and go at switches is a joke considering what I have seen elsewhere and has to do with lack of funds and TTC not willing to replaces switches like they should. As for detours today, fact of life as everything has a life cycle and a lot of cycles were pushed down the road that it got us to this point.

If TTC/City did what they do in Europe for sidewalk stops, it would be a lot safer for riders getting on/off the streetcar than it is today. In Europe, they have stop lights before the stop that is trip by the streetcar when stopping that the light turns red right away and remains red until it trips the release once the streetcar start moving. This will tick drivers off as well been very costly to do.

Get rid of on street parking and paint a white/yellow line on the road that will house the ROW for streetcars like it done in Europe. You cannot use the ROW to make a left turn as well. This will speed up service a lot. It will allow driver to pass a streetcar who are exceeding the speed limit or the streetcar that is under the limit.

Our streetcars are slow because people drive.

"The King Street Transit Pilot was launched in 2017 to give streetcars priority between Bathurst and Jarvis streets as commute times along the busy transit line became painful. The idea was found to be a success and the pilot was eventually made permanent.
[…]
[Coun. Chris Moise] said it’s become an “open secret” that drivers can get away with flouting the special rules on King Street which are meant to give the streetcars priority, often in an effort to avoid congestion on other nearby streets.
[…]
The TTC says their data show that travel times which initially improved by the right-of-way on King Street have slid backwards."

Seriously, Yonge, King, Queen and (maybe) Spadina need to be made car-free within the downtown. It's ridiculous that we continue to look the other way when it comes to cars. We aren't going to get anything done if we continue to be "kind" to the feelings of drivers.

Our streetcars are slow because people drive.

"The King Street Transit Pilot was launched in 2017 to give streetcars priority between Bathurst and Jarvis streets as commute times along the busy transit line became painful. The idea was found to be a success and the pilot was eventually made permanent.
[…]
[Coun. Chris Moise] said it’s become an “open secret” that drivers can get away with flouting the special rules on King Street which are meant to give the streetcars priority, often in an effort to avoid congestion on other nearby streets.
[…]
The TTC says their data show that travel times which initially improved by the right-of-way on King Street have slid backwards."

Seriously, Yonge, King, Queen and (maybe) Spadina need to be made car-free within the downtown. It's ridiculous that we continue to look the other way when it comes to cars. We aren't going to get anything done if we continue to be "kind" to the feelings of drivers.
16 minutes to go 2.5km is still slow. Cars are one reason why streetcars are slow, but it's not the only reason.

They're also much bigger and require longer distances to comfortably get up to speed and to stop. I've been on streetcars with drivers who are more than willing to be as fast (or faster) than the cars around them. Trust me, it's not comfortable by any means for those standing.

Back