News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.6K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Roads: Ambassador & Gordie Howe Bridges

the name of the town has no real meaning and is up to the municipality. Which is why Dryden is a "City" and Oakville a "Town".

Markham changed from a "Town" to a "City" about a decade ago on one council vote.

What matters in Ontario is "upper tier" and "lower tier" municipalities. The rest is all noise.

Ya, it's a confusing area to discuss. Upper tier (county/region) provide services within lower tier (cities) either by legislation or agreement. The only thing that is more prevalent in the US (compared to Ontario anyway) is the existence of smaller stand-alone enclaves within large ones. These 'donut holes' always strike me as odd; like some European/Asian international boundaries.

Even in Ontario, 'who-does-what' varies between upper and lower tiers. The County of Frontenac, for example, maintains no roads; all were downloaded to the lower tiers. Court jurisdictions have been regional for a while and the regions followed county/district boundaries pretty much out of convenience. For Provincial Offences Court (Ontario Court of Justice), when the province gave municipalities POA fine revenue, they downloaded the responsibility to administer them; although the overall administration of justice is constitutionally a provincial matter. The POA court in th City of Orillia is operated by the City of Barrie. Go figure.

I find the whole issue quite a confusing mess in Ontario; started by Davis with the regions (counties by any other name) then further messed up by Harris. When Dryden (pop ~7400) is a 'city' and Oakville (pop ~210000) is a 'town', words lose meaning.
And with the regional review going on now, it's even possible that the Region of Peel's roads could all be downloaded to the lower tiers. With Peel Police appearing not to even be under consideration in this review, I don't know what else they could even look at that would make sense to download. Roads make sense since they lie within a specific city only, so let that city manage them. Both Mississauga and Brampton are perfectly capable of managing their "regional" roads. Caledon, on the other hand...

And with the regional review going on now, it's even possible that the Region of Peel's roads could all be downloaded to the lower tiers. With Peel Police appearing not to even be under consideration in this review, I don't know what else they could even look at that would make sense to download. Roads make sense since they lie within a specific city only, so let that city manage them. Both Mississauga and Brampton are perfectly capable of managing their "regional" roads. Caledon, on the other hand...
Off-topic to the bridge thread, but I thought the review was dead. The concept of upper tier roads is to have a level of consistency in connector and inter-low tier roads. Seeing as I think pretty much every road in Caledon is two-lane, that seems consistent with what the municipality could handle.

442512958_122131417784248512_2209261338976278765_n.jpg

The highly anticipated action blockbuster, "Speed 3: Full Throttle," is set to film pivotal scenes on the Gordie Howe International Bridge before its final segment closes. The bridge, which connects Detroit, Michigan, and Windsor, Ontario, has become a landmark of modern engineering and an iconic backdrop for cinematic action.

Ayc_9w.gif
I never understood what made the bus jump up at such a sharp angle on a seemingly flat surface.

They could at least de-number them and let the urban municipalities put up their own signage.
Well, I guess who owns it gets to decide on naming/numbering. Actually, for a road that crosses multiple boundaries, changing the name every time it crosses a line would be more confusing. That is one of my bugs with Barrie, even within its borders. In some cases, even if there is a posted name, there is an underlying number for internal purposes.

Changing road names holds significant disruption for aspects such as Canada Post and 911 service programming.

I find the whole issue quite a confusing mess in Ontario; started by Davis with the regions (counties by any other name) then further messed up by Harris. When Dryden (pop ~7400) is a 'city' and Oakville (pop ~210000) is a 'town', words lose meaning.

And it's not just Oakville. There's Ajax, Aurora, Milton, Newmarket, and Whitby. It seems some GTA municipalities hate the idea that they've grown so much at a fundamental level.

Last edited:
Hurontario as well changes to Main Street for a good chunk of Brampton.
And of course Heritage, which changes name to become Meadowvale, Creditview, Central Parkway West, Central Parkway East, and finally Kennedy.

I guess it doesn't happen in Peel, except in Mississauga, Brampton, and Caledon ... :)

And of course Heritage, which changes name to become Meadowvale, Creditview, Central Parkway West, Central Parkway East, and finally Kennedy.

I guess it doesn't happen in Peel, except in Mississauga, Brampton, and Caledon ... :)

By and large they don't, but for those that do (with the exception of the Heritage/Meadowvale part), Heritage, Meadowvale, Central Parkway (East and West don't really count), and Kennedy, only one of these name changes occur at a municipal boundary. And the last is a directional change issue. And that's such an obvious chaos nobody's likely to see them all as one street anyways.

And that doesn't really justify urban regional road numbering, which only EMP/Mississauga Rd. has of these examples. Nor does that even apply to roads like Derry and Cawthra anyways.

EDIT: Forgot Heritage/Meadowvale was part of the 'U'.

Last edited:
I just saw this on FB: temporary braces have been installed, connecting both sides of the bridge.
View attachment 571400

There's a bit more on the Project's Twitter/X page:
One beam on each side is needed to make the final connection to the 2 section with 1 or 2 cross beam framing into those beam to allow the decking to be place on them. Lots of bolts will be needed to bolt those 2 final beams to hold the 2 sections together. Just over a year from now, you will be able to drive/walk/cycle over this bridge than use the Ambassador bridge or the tunnel with faster time to go south on I-75 to get to the 401

Reactions: PL1

Back