News   Jul 30, 2024
 136     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 326     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Driving through North York Centre a few minutes ago, I felt disheartened about the curb lane patios from a safety perspective. It would take just one inattentive driver to create a mass cas. I don't imagine the planters have much rigidity or anchoring to them. This area needs the pedestrianization/traffic calming rebuild asap. Plus the patios look so unattractive with their orange pylons and crime scene like tape. And it didn't seem particularly enticing to be inches away from heavy traffic. But it was great to see many people out and about again with the city vibrancy returning.

Driving through North York Centre a few minutes ago, I felt disheartened about the curb lane patios from a safety perspective. It would take just one inattentive driver to create a mass cas. I don't imagine the planters have much rigidity or anchoring to them. This area needs the pedestrianization/traffic calming rebuild asap. Plus the patios look so unattractive with their orange pylons and crime scene like tape. And it didn't seem particularly enticing to be inches away from heavy traffic. But it was great to see many people out and about again with the city vibrancy returning.

Two observations.

1) I will echo your own comments; and agree with those of @allengeorge above. As currently laid out the patios provide neither an ideal (or even minimally passable) level of safety, let alone the illusion thereof.........and most could certainly be prettier. But likewise, were the program made permanent I'm certain better solutions would be found. Assuming the patios would not be offered in the winter, I can imagine using removalble bollards similar to Market Street's current design; augmented by flowers and nicer temporary borders.

It should be possible (its probably been done, but I'm too lazy to look right now) to design bollards with 2 or 3 sets of openings in them, through which you could slip painted metal poles, and then lock them into place with bolts through the bollard.

2) The risk profile of this, in its current form, while also insisting on those terrible jersey barriers in front of Union Station is the sort of thing that shows the City has no consistency about certain things; and that people support policies sometimes merely because they feel pressure from above to 'do something'.......rather the policy action being supported by evidence.

Last edited:
I posted here about an Alex B. twitter thread not so long ago opining on a lost opportunity to re-do Ossington.
At the time, I noted that neither he, nor Sean Micallef on about the same subject seemed to have made any effort to understand what happened (or didn't) and why.

Well.....today, Sean opined in print, in The Star on the very same subject.

The above is currently paywalled, but Outline works.

At any rate, even with all the time that has passed, he didn't not solicit even one comment from the Head of Transportation, or the project manager, or the Mayor or anyone else.
I don't care what your politics are, if you are too lazy to do any research, you need to learn to be quiet and let people who actually care do the heavy lifting.
Harsh? Yes. I'm fed up with people who claim to be progressive and only set causes back with their uninformed forays in print that are about as useful as what Mark Brooks has to say about the Pickering Airport.

Meanwhile, in the USA...

BREAKING: National ‘Vision Zero’ Resolution Introduced

From link.
As an epidemic of traffic deaths surges nationwide, Vision Zero finally is finally gaining traction in Congress.

After months of intense campaigning from advocates, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) introduced a bi-cameral resolution Tuesday expressing the desire of the legislature to “reduce traffic fatalities to zero by 2050.”

The resolution is non-binding, but advocates say it’s an important first step on a path towards more concrete policy change.

“Our priorities, plans, and policies are based on the goal we aim for, and we should not be aiming for some of our loved ones to be safe as they move about our communities — we should be working for safety for all,” said Leah Shahum, director of the Vision Zero Network. “Goals drive our actions and our urgency. And we need to shake off the complacency we’ve had for too long of preventable deaths and injuries.”

The five-page resolution — which is co-sponsored by five senators and five representatives, all Democrats — puts a belated national focus on a growing public health crisis. According to National Traffic Safety Administration, the number of pedestrian fatalities jumped by 44 percent in the decade between 2010 to 2019, while deaths of cyclists in crashes rose 36 percent in the same period, spurred by the continued dominance of dangerous road designs as well as the the growth in popularity of larger vehicles like SUVs and pickups. The resolution also comes just as the legislature is hammering out an infrastructure bill that will determine the nation’s roadway safety priorities for the next decade.

“No other preventable cause of death is so overlooked and implicitly condoned as the tens of thousands of preventable traffic fatalities each year in this country. This must — and can — change,” added Shahum. “We are encouraged that this new resolution to set and advance the goal of eliminating traffic deaths by 2050 is a sign of stepped-up federal leadership. Now we need to put proven strategies to work, including designing roadways for safety instead of speed and investing funding in safety improvements, especially for those walking and biking and those in traditionally underserved communities.”

If passed, the resolution would commit Congress and the U.S. Department of Transportation to work together to achieve zero roadway fatalities by 2050 and calls on the DOT to improve data gathering and implement measures that promote traffic safety. It also supports “efforts to address disparities and other equity-related issues related to transportation safety” and “the use of the term ‘crash’ and not ‘accident’ when describing traffic incidents and encourages” government agencies to use the term — which might encourage the media use more accurate language, too.

“Every traffic death is more than a number,” said Amy Cohen, co-founder of Families for Safe Streets. “October 8 will mark eight years since I lost my 12-year-old son Sammy. He was in 8th grade and just trying to get from school to soccer practice. This should not be a deadly act. … Taking that first step to a safety-first transportation policy will prevent others from the heartache we have suffered.”

Here's the link to the PDF of the resolution.

Intersection improvements designed to make turns slower and safer are now installed at 8 pilot locations in Toronto.

1627565872610.png

A reminder of the locations:

1627565954608.png

On Parliament Street where I like to dine I never accept a table on the street. I'll wait for a table on the rooftop patio at HOP or go the backyard patio at Stout. In addition to traffic collision risk there's just the unpleasantness of traffic noise, firetruck sirens, etc. And then there's the beggars, addicts and EDPs coming up to you whilst you enjoy your meal. Though I do enjoy the curb lane patio at Remarkable Bean on Queen East as I can sit beside my motorcycle.

On Parliament Street where I like to dine I never accept a table on the street. I'll wait for a table on the rooftop patio at HOP or go the backyard patio at Stout. In addition to traffic collision risk there's just the unpleasantness of traffic noise, firetruck sirens, etc. And then there's the beggars, addicts and EDPs coming up to you whilst you enjoy your meal. Though I do enjoy the curb lane patio at Remarkable Bean on Queen East as I can sit beside my motorcycle.

My family and I ate at Saigon on Parliament on the weekend. We did not want a table on the roadside patio for all the reasons you listed. Still had a beggar ask for money though despite being inside (window table)!

My family and I ate at Saigon on Parliament on the weekend. We did not want a table on the roadside patio for all the reasons you listed. Still had a beggar ask for money though despite being inside (window table)!
My teenage daughter is determined to move to a small town where she hopes they'll be less of what she calls "crazy people" and dirty old men staring at her. She'll likely escape the former but not the latter, it's a sh#tty world for women still.

^With women comprising well over half of university enrollments and rising, the latter claim is looking weaker all the time.

My teenage daughter is determined to move to a small town where she hopes they'll be less of what she calls "crazy people" and dirty old men staring at her. She'll likely escape the former but not the latter, it's a sh#tty world for women still.
^With women comprising well over half of university enrollments and rising, the latter claim is looking weaker all the time.

I'm not sure the latter is really relatable to the former.

The Admiral, of course, tends to write overly-broad statements, but here, I think its clear that he's not speaking about academic or economic prospects but rather the social realities around unwanted attention that may sometimes inspire fear, or simply be irksome. Something men are by and large less likely to experience and less likely to experience with any regularity.

Of course, its a rather big leap from the above to the 'sh$tty world for women' without caveat.

I love patio's but i will not set foot on a curb lane patio. I don't trust Toronto drivers and i don't like gas and diesel fumes being blown my face while eating.

Back