News   Apr 26, 2024
 92     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 571     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Gilead Place is classified as a "Local Road" but is really a 'lane" and VERY few lanes have sidewalks as most are too narrow. If you put in a real sidewalk here I doubt you could have any vehicles as what would be left would be too narrow.
Yet it has sidewalks. If it had none, I'd agree. If there were curb cuts on it to houses I'd agree.

Gilead Place is classified as a "Local Road" but is really a 'lane" and VERY few lanes have sidewalks as most are too narrow. If you put in a real sidewalk here I doubt you could have any vehicles as what would be left would be too narrow.
Really, they should be shared street without curbs, possibly central drainage. You can use pavers, concrete or painted asphalt to indicate where the pedestrian clear path should be.

Really, they should be shared street without curbs, possibly central drainage. You can use pavers, concrete or painted asphalt to indicate where the pedestrian clear path should be.
Paint is useless in the snows of winter. Stop trying to appease your automobile gods.

Yeah, I realize we can't fix every problem for everyone all at once, and Gilead Place is pretty low on the priority list. It's very low traffic, and the only reason I'm even there with the stroller is because the toddler likes to look at the excavation for 28 Eastern. We can walk on the street just fine. But if a car comes, you definitely don't think it's a shared space of any sort, and you have to skedaddle up onto the unusable sidewalk before you get honked at.

Yeah, I realize we can't fix every problem for everyone all at once, and Gilead Place is pretty low on the priority list. It's very low traffic, and the only reason I'm even there with the stroller is because the toddler likes to look at the excavation for 28 Eastern. We can walk on the street just fine. But if a car comes, you definitely don't think it's a shared space of any sort, and you have to skedaddle up onto the unusable sidewalk before you get honked at.
Only ±3% of the transportation budget is spent on cycling and pedestrian infrastructure.

Only ±3% of the transportation budget is spent on cycling and pedestrian infrastructure.
You're preaching to the choir here. We should fix a lot of streets, and do it a lot faster, but I still think that Gilead Place will be pretty low on the priority list. Though it should be fixed by the time there is a subway station and a bunch of 45 storey towers just two blocks away.

What's that - about 3 days a year before the salt and melt reveal the paint?
Oh, those lines...
slippery-icy-road-with-yellow-line.jpg
From link.

This woman was known to downtown east residents and drivers. She could frequently be found in her wheelchair, creeping across Dundas or Sherborne, usually against the light, rolling up to car windows to beg for money. Many drivers would slow down and evade her as she sat in the middle of the road. It was only a matter of time before she was hit by a car, and it’s not surprising that it was a cement truck that struck her since its likely suburban driver wouldn‘t have the experience to expect people to be sitting in the roadspace.

IMO, this is primarily a failure in policing. Over the past few years it’s become common for panhandlers to walk into and stand in the middle of Parliament, Sherbourne and Jarvis streets at Dundas between the lanes of moving traffic, often displaying actual or feigning mental issues or disabilities as they beg. I’ve seen one fellow at Dundas and Sherbourne walk right in front of moving cars to force them to stop so they can beg for money. It's a clear violation of the Ontario Safe Streets Act (it is illegal to solicit in traffic), and yet we never see police take action to keep these people safe.

Last edited:
"Where there are no posted speed limits, the maximum speed is 50 km / h in cities, towns and villages, and 80 km / h elsewhere." That's the law in Ontario.

13f6cc70162ed654e757d65cc677d0d2.jpg

Why is it still "50 km/h"? Shouldn't it be "40 km/h" as the default unposted speed limit?

calgary-speed-limit-40-km-h.jpg

Use signs with "50 km/h" or "30 km/h", or higher, where applicable. Would also save money on signage.

Back