Richard Florida: Toronto could use a good civic crisis

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Richard Florida: Toronto could use a good civic crisis

May 22 2010

Richard Florida

thestar_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...florida-toronto-could-use-a-good-civic-crisis

##################################

I've lived in Toronto for three years. Every passing day, I'm discovering new dimensions to this great city. I count our decision to move here among the best of my life. But the more I look at our city and region, the more I recognize the challenges we face, especially in light of how the tectonic economic events of the past 18 months are recasting the role of cities and regions worldwide, which I lay out in my new book, The Great Reset. I hold up Toronto as an example of an older Frost Belt city that has effectively made the transition to a new economy based on finance, media, service, technology and design-intensive manufacturing.

But resets are times when the fortunes of cities, regions and nations change dramatically. They are times of chaos and suffering, but also of tremendous innovation. We hear the phrase “a crisis is a terrible thing to waste” — first articulated by Stanford economist Paul Romer, and later picked up by President Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel — a lot these days. But how does Toronto reset itself? I worry that as cities from New York to London, San Francisco to Shanghai, strive to remake themselves for a new age, our very success may be making us too complacent.

The crisis and reset we are going through are comparable in magnitude to the Panic and Long Depression of the 1870s and the Great Depression of the 1930s. The pain of job loss and dislocation in both of those periods was far worse than what we feel now. But both were the most innovative decades of the past two centuries. We invented new technologies, new transportation systems, new infrastructure and new ways of living and working.

It's the latter — or what geographers call a new “spatial fix” — that powers true recovery and lasting prosperity. As I show in The Great Reset, it was not just New Deal spending or World War II mobilization or even incredible waves of innovation that powered our unprecedented prosperity in the 1950s and 1960s; it was our suburban way of life. As millions of families bought houses and moved to suburbia, they created demand for the cars, refrigerators, washers, dryers, TVs and stereos coming off the booming assembly lines.

##################################

A Starbucks barista. In the U.S. companies like Whole Foods have managed to make service jobs more rewarding. That's one of the key challenges facing our regional economy, argues Richard Florida.

bb399aea4778b37c258a1efac61f.jpeg

Last edited:
A "good civic crisis" is all we need, huh? OK, any volunteers to play the victims? How about you, Richard? No? Didn't think so.

Hopefully not an passage in his book, that would convince more people NOT not to buy it than the opposite.

Inept political leadership, crumbling infrastructure, hopeless construction practices when providing new/maintaining existing infrastructure, poor public services, world class nimbyism, constant whining, no hope sports teams, etc.

What more do we need to create a civic crisis? Unfortunately it is beyond the capacity of our civic leaders to create a "Panic and Long Depression" or a "Great Depression", although I guess they could encourage more moving to suburbia.

I think he just wants us to buy his new book. I'm quite sure he will refer to the decision to move to his next city as among the best in his life.

The Star should be ashamed of this unabashed pandering to Mr. Florida.

Last edited:
Inept political leadership, crumbling infrastructure, hopeless construction practices when providing new/maintaining existing infrastructure, poor public services, world class nimbyism, constant whining, no hope sports teams, etc.

What more do we need to create a civic crisis? Unfortunately it is beyond the capacity of our civic leaders to create a "Panic and Long Depression" or a "Great Depression", although I guess they could encourage more moving to suburbia.

I think he just wants us to buy his new book. I'm quite sure he will refer to the decision to move to his next city as among the best in his life.

The Star should be ashamed of this unabashed pandering to Mr. Florida.

Amazing how the Toronto fans who haunt these threads can't stand it when RF says good things about their city. In this country saying anything good about Toronto invites the wrath of God. About the only thing this place could really use is a little more of the real Florida, as in good weather.

The sad/ironic thing is that Toronto's at one of it's lowest points ever, only looking to get worse. We're in the middle of a huge civic crisis, but nothing's changed a bit.

The sad/ironic thing is that Toronto's at one of it's lowest points ever, only looking to get worse. We're in the middle of a huge civic crisis, but nothing's changed a bit.

"Lowest points"? You mean, compared to the Great Fire, the Depression, the "Urban Renewal"-as-demolition phase of the 50s/60s, the recession of the 90s, SARS?

What Golden Age are you thinking of exactly that Toronto is now far removed from?

Richard is gifted in his ability to use so many words to, in effect, say that doing something better is better. Wake me up when there is something of substance.

"Lowest points"? You mean, compared to the Great Fire, the Depression, the "Urban Renewal"-as-demolition phase of the 50s/60s, the recession of the 90s, SARS?

What Golden Age are you thinking of exactly that Toronto is now far removed from?

I think the essentially insolvent nature of the city might qualify. The sorry state of transport (be it transit, road, or rail) might qualify.

This is just another typical piece of Richard Florida's work. And by that I mean stating the obvious.

When I first heard of him a few years ago, he sounded brilliant. Then I made the mistake of buying his book and reading what he was really all about.
While he is right in his assertion that the artists/"creative class" are instrumental in gentrifying previously forgotten neighbourhoods, the rest of what he seems to always say is essentially a regurgitation of the major issues at stake.
In a nutshell, Florida's creative class theory is essentially this; People with degrees get higher paying jobs. And the more of these people you have in your city, the better your city is.
Real inspiring stuff, I know. Thanks for that bombshell Florida. For those who haven't heard of Florida's creative class, it essentially encompasses everyone with post-secondary degrees... and artists. Everyone from an editor, to an engineer, to a lawyer, to a doctor to a stock broker is included in Florida's creative class.

This article from The Star is written in classic Floridian style (stating the obvious for the most part).
We have to stop building car centric suburbs? You're kidding me!
We need better transit? Get outta town!
High speed rail? No way!
Traffic in Toronto is bad? Epic!
We need to push for more good paying jobs? Brilliant!
More family sized homes in the 416? Thanks Adam Vaughan!
Higher density + mixed use + walkable, livable, transit centered development = good? Rocket science!

Everything Richard Florida said in that article, and I presume his upcoming book too, has been said over and over on this site. Urbantoronto and its members should get some of the profits because he essentially plagiarized.

Back