AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Globe, Toronto Section

RICHARD FLORIDA: A NEW FACE ON CAMPUS
The guru of the creative city plans a move to Toronto

MATTHEW TREVISAN

July 7, 2007

Maybe Richard Florida took too much of his own medicine.

In his bestselling 2005 book The Flight of the Creative Class, the influential economist argued that diverse international cities rich in culture would deprive America of its artists, scientists and intellectuals.

Now, Toronto stands to benefit from the realization of Prof. Florida's prophecy.

The guru of urban economic development, best known for his argument that post-industrial cities should focus on cultivating a "creative class" of writers, painters, musicians, software developers, engineers and doctors, is moving up to Canada.

"That's the plan," said Amanda Styron, Prof. Florida's spokeswoman at the Creative Class Group, a Washington-based think tank he founded for innovative business practices in business, government and communities.

Currently a professor of public policy at George Mason University in Virginia, Prof. Florida will be coming to Toronto to teach at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.

When contacted Thursday, the school was tight-lipped about Prof. Florida, who will be arriving at U of T "toward the end of the summer."

"We can confirm everything in another six weeks," said Ken McGuffin, the school's spokesman.

One rumour floating about is that Prof. Florida will also work at the MaRS Centre, an innovation hub for science, technology and economic development located a short walk from U of T.

In 2006, Prof. Florida told The Globe and Mail that Toronto could become a major world centre of research and economic activity.

The city today is at an "inflection point," he said. "My own view is that Toronto can position itself in the next decade as a first-tier mega-region and that would require bolstering the universities, leveraging the quality of life and continuing to attract immigrants," he said. "I think Toronto is very, very close to that."

Prof. Florida taught for almost 20 years at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and has also been a visiting professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government. He works as a senior scientist for the Gallup Organization and writes for newspapers and general-interest magazines. In 2005, Prof. Florida was named one of Esquire Magazine's "Best and Brightest."

In his 2002 book The Rise of the Creative Class, he argued that if a city concentrates on embracing its bohemians, it is better suited for the "three Ts" of economic growth: technology, talent and tolerance.

Moreover, he argued that the more gay-friendly a city is, the more susceptible it will be to economic prosperity, because of its open-mindedness.

"It's an extraordinarily wonderful complement to our city and proof of Florida's very own theorem that he posited that Toronto is one of the most creative cities on the globe," said Rita Davies, executive director of the city's cultural division.

In fact, there should be another "T" added to Prof. Florida's "three T's" of economic growth, Ms. Davies said, and that "T" should stand for Toronto. "I think that the kind of creative city Florida envisioned ... is really well epitomized by Toronto, where we have a society that has learned to live together."

Mr. McGuffin said Prof. Florida would not be commenting until the details of his Toronto move are finalized.

AoD

What a self-satisfied piece that is. 'Look! Look! Florida thinks we're dandy, so therefore (by theorem) it's true!'

I suppose it's a compliment, but sheesh...

Good. I'd be glad to listen to any future speaking engagements of his. I enjoyed his book and would be interested to hear of any further thoughts he has on the subject.

Boy, you're bringing out the worst in Internet democracy there, aren't you...

FLORIDA IN TORONTO: EDUCATION: CREATIVE CITIES

'Stars aligned' for urban guru's move
Addition of Richard Florida in leading research role is widely considered a coup for U of T
CAROLINE ALPHONSO AND JOANNA SMITH

July 10, 2007

TORONTO -- Richard Florida, one of the era's most influential urban thinkers, will be leading a new initiative at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management that will allow him to expand his research on how human creativity drives a city's economic success, a source says.

The author of the 2002 bestseller The Rise of the Creative Class has left his post as a public policy professor at George Mason University in Virginia after three years.

"He expressed some interest in the last several years that Toronto would be a wonderful place. ... To get him here, the deal was that there would need to be a fairly important initiative that he would be a part of," an official said yesterday.

U of T spokesman Ken McGuffin confirmed that Prof. Florida will be joining the institution, which academic sources around the country say is a coup for the university. But he declined to divulge details of the position, saying those will be released next month.

Prof. Florida was not available for an interview yesterday.

The guru of urban economic development has previously taught at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and has also been a visiting professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government.

He argues that if a city concentrates on embracing its bohemians through a dynamic and tolerant urban life, it will be economically successful. One of his eye-catching measures is the "gay index," where he says the more gay-friendly a city is, the more susceptible it is to economic prosperity because of its open-mindedness.

Colleagues and friends say Canada, especially Toronto, is the right fit for Prof. Florida at this time. He was also courted by a Montreal university, sources say.

Prof. Florida has often cited Toronto as one of the more "creative" cities with the potential to be one of the top 20 research and economic hubs in the world. He has visited the city often, regularly meeting with the late urban activist Jane Jacobs. He also has personal connections here, said Meric Gertler, a geography professor at U of T's Munk Centre for International Studies.

"He's known me for a long time. He's known Roger Martin [dean at Rotman] for a long time ... Those kinds of personal connections and relationships often influence the decisions one makes about where one moves to," Prof. Gertler said.

David Pecaut, chairman of the Toronto City Summit Alliance, a civic group set up several years ago, said Prof. Florida's theories have already played a role in the city. His arrival will not only put Toronto on the map as a leader for this new kind of urban thinking, but allow it to attract international talent.

"Knowing his work as well as I do, I think he's probably been looking for a place where the public policy environment, the actual urban environment he'd be living in, and the university he'd be resident at are kind of coincident," Mr. Pecaut said. "I think all the stars aligned right now in Toronto."

In an interview with The Globe and Mail last year, Prof. Florida said Toronto has positioned itself internationally to attract creative talent. He specifically cited U of T and the Rotman school as being able to compete with other major universities, including Harvard, to lure young people wanting to live in a vibrant city.

Prof. Florida's theories on creativity and economic prosperity have been a source of praise and controversy. His data have been questioned.

Raphael Fischler, a professor at McGill University's school of urban planning, said Montreal could be considered as an example of how Prof. Florida's theories do not always work.

While Montreal is a vibrant, gay-friendly cultural centre with an important bohemian dimension, "it does not perform as well as Toronto or Calgary in creating jobs and attracting immigrants," Prof. Fischler said.

"And that shows that it takes more than some of the things that Mr. Florida talks about to really make it big."

THE BOHEMIAN-GAY INDEX

In the study There Goes the Neighbourhood, Richard Florida and Charlotta Mellander examine the effects of bohemians, artists and gays on regional housing values. These excerpts are from the study:

... Artists and bohemians are direct producers of amenities; their location will thus directly reflect higher levels of amenity. Furthermore, their location also reflects them. As selective buyers with an eye for amenity, authenticity and aesthetics, locations where artists, bohemians and gays concentrate are likely to be highly sought after for their cultural amenities, desirable neighbourhood character, and aesthetic quality of the housing stock. ...

Second, we argue that bohemian, artistic and gay populations reflect a second premium - a tolerance or open culture premium. ... [that] acts on the demand side by reducing barriers to entry for human capital; increasing the efficiencies of human capital externalities and knowledge spillovers; promoting self-expression and new idea generation; and facilitating entrepreneurial mobilization of resources, thus acting on regional income and real estate prices.

Our argument can be summarized in a simple equation: Regional Income + Regional Amenity Premium + Regional Openness Premium = Regional Housing Values. We introduce a combined measure of bohemian and gay populations - the Bohemian-Gay Index as a proxy measure for regional amenity and regional openness....

Richard Florida and Charlotta Mellander, March 2007

How do Canadian cities measure up?

Urban-planning experts across the country weighed in on how well Richard Florida's ideas are reflected in the cities in which they work.

HALIFAX

The vibrant music scene draws young musicians to Halifax as a place to start their

careers. There are plenty of live venues that support local talent, and the smaller

population provides great networking opportunities.

EDMONTON

With its strong ties to the oil-sands economy placing it outside the post-industrial phase, Edmonton does not make attracting the creative class a strategic priority. Still, the city is proud of its theatre scene and was proclaimed the cultural capital of Canada for 2007.

CALGARY

Calgary is aware that beautiful architecture and public spaces are important to the

higher-income workers it wants to recruit, so the city devotes 1 per cent of the budget for every infrastructure project over $1-million to public art.

MONTREAL

Despite its vibrant cultural scene and gay-friendly atmosphere, Montreal is behind other cities in job creation and attracting immigrants. Still, the city's important high-tech sector is an example of artists and corporations working together to boost the economy.

TORONTO

Recent interest and investment in cultural institutions, waterfront revitalization and

urban restoration show the key role the creative class plays, but some experts wonder whether the elitist aspect to attracting this class conflicts with Toronto's multiculturalism.

VANCOUVER

Climate and landscape attract the creative class to this city by the sea, but some worry the lack of affordable housing brings down the quality of life for the young knowledge workers it hopes to attract.

Joanna Smith

AoD

Very interesting news. Three students and I recently finished a research on whether the ideas of Florida (especially his ideas surrounding the geographic concentration of talent) are applicable to the Netherlands (we're still awaiting our marks…). I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, this is after all the 'Toronto Issues' forum. I wouldn't mind if the mods move this post to another subforum, but I'll explain some of our findings here for now.

He argues that if a city concentrates on embracing its bohemians through a dynamic and tolerant urban life, it will be economically successful. One of his eye-catching measures is the "gay index," where he says the more gay-friendly a city is, the more susceptible it is to economic prosperity because of its open-mindedness.

It turns out, that talented people in the Netherlands (who we measured as teachers and professors at universities) indeed attach great value to a dynamic urban life. A relationship was found between the quality of the cultural life and the nightlife in a city, and its attractiveness to talented people.
Florida’s so-called ‘gay-index’ was not of any relevance in The Netherlands. Talented people did not indicate, that they specifically look for cities with a large gay population This finding is contrary to Florida’s finding, that talented people in the US (who Florida measures as people with a bachelor’s degree or higher) are attracted to cities with a large gay population (hence why San Francisco is a primary hub for software development, many of America’s ‘best and brightest’ software engineers work in the Bay Area).
Why the size of the local gay population doesn’t matter is obvious: The Netherlands is a tolerant country overall, with few regional differences when it comes to open-mindedness. Talented people thus almost never run into ‘barriers on the labour market’.

personal connections and relationships often influence the decisions one makes about where one moves to

We pretty much can confirm this: the presence of relatives and friends in any city does influence the decision to move there or not, but it is not a crucial factor. It is never just the presence of relatives that determines whether talented people in The Netherlands move to a specific city.

While Montreal is a vibrant, gay-friendly cultural centre with an important bohemian dimension, "it does not perform as well as Toronto or Calgary in creating jobs and attracting immigrants," Prof. Fischler said. "And that shows that it takes more than some of the things that Mr. Florida talks about to really make it big."

This is perhaps the most shocking finding of our research: to explain why talented people settle in certain cities, more than just the things Florida talks about should be taken into account.
Just 60% of the talented people working in any of The Netherland’s 8 university towns, actually lives in that town. So 40% commutes, and why those 40% choses not to live in the town they work in could not be explained by only taking into account Florida’s ideas. They obviously weren’t attracted by cultural life/ night life, the size of the gay population, or the recreational opportunities in the vicinity of the university town. What is it, then, that determines where these people move?

I don't think Florida is saying that creative people seek out cities with a large gay population ( though if they're gay they might ), but rather that gay-positive cites reflect creative environments.

^ Exactly, according to him, a large gay population reflects an open-minded attitude of the local population. The positive relationship he found between the score of a city on the 'gay index' and it's attractiveness to talented people, made us suspect that talented people seek out these cities.. it turns out that that isn't the case, at least in The Netherlands.

Maybe his theory only applies to North American cities as there are other influencers in European cities (geographically smaller countries, etc etc) that drive this creative indicator.

"Recent interest and investment in cultural institutions, waterfront revitalization and urban restoration show the key role the creative class plays, but some experts wonder whether the elitist aspect to attracting this class conflicts with Toronto's multiculturalism."

Eh? What does this mean? The "creative class" is "elitist"? And the 'multicultural' elements of the population apparently aren't, by definition? Odd - don't think I've ever heard it suggested before that these groups 'conflict'. How?

This is perhaps the most shocking finding of our research: to explain why talented people settle in certain cities, more than just the things Florida talks about should be taken into account.
Just 60% of the talented people working in any of The Netherland’s 8 university towns, actually lives in that town. So 40% commutes, and why those 40% choses not to live in the town they work in could not be explained by only taking into account Florida’s ideas. They obviously weren’t attracted by cultural life/ night life, the size of the gay population, or the recreational opportunities in the vicinity of the university town. What is it, then, that determines where these people move?

Very interesting Ronald. Though as you said, it is rather obvious why the gay index would be irrelevant in the Netherlands. Actually I think the same would largely be true of any country where the rights of gay people and tolerance towards them was essentially a non issue (so I imagine that in a number of European countries and Canada as well you would probably find the the gay index to be a poor or meaningless indicator). It makes sense that this factor would be a strong indicator in the United States though simply because the levels of tolerance towards gay people can vary so greatly between cities and regions.

When you looked into the reasons as to why 40% of Netherlanders commute to another city rather than move there I am curious as too what reasons you came up with. Actually I have always wondered if that is a pattern that is not somewhat unique to the Netherlands where because of its small size and interconnectedness you will have more people who can commute from one town to another as compared to say Germany or France where commuting patterns might be reflective of the traditional suburb-city centre model?

Overall I think Florida's ideas are interesting and well thought out, but at least in the current model and statistical methods he has presented it doesn't seem very applicable once you examine countries and cities outside the US. I would be curious to see what factors specifically would influence a Dutch or Swedish person for example to decide where to move to. I could see language, and linguistic abilities of the person and diversity in languages in a particular city being at least a moderately important fact for someone to base a decision on when deciding where to move in Europe where as in the United States it would largely be irrelevant.

Maybe he can walk around campus wearing this shirt:

Overrated.gif

Eh? What does this mean? The "creative class" is "elitist"? And the 'multicultural' elements of the population apparently aren't, by definition? Odd - don't think I've ever heard it suggested before that these groups 'conflict'. How?

I think the author is just making a generalized, and ironically, elitist, assumption about the two groups. One being a well off, socially mobile group with high levels of education and the means to be able to relocate to the city of their choosing. The other tends to be just starting out and thus more likely too be working or lower class. Though the conflict part is strange because at least in Toronto class or cultural conflict is actually pretty low, but, I suppose for the purposes of a newspaper article and to add something just to get some attention one could try to stir up emotions of class conflict.

Back