News   May 03, 2024
 287     0 

Richard Bradshaw, 1944-2007

Sir Novelty Fashion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tess Kalinowski
Staff Reporter

Richard Bradshaw, conductor and general director of the Canadian Opera Co., has died suddenly, leaving the company in shock.

He had a reputation for never accepting no as an answer. As a result he will be remembered as the driving force behind Toronto’s Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.

The opera house at the corner of Queen St. W. and University Ave., designed by architect Jack Diamond, opened last year and an amphitheatre there bears Bradshaw’s name.

A spokesperson for the opera company confirmed today that staff were shocked by the 63-year-old silver-haired conductor’s death Wednesday night as he return home from a vacation.

The COC has issued a statement saying that it is deeply saddened by Bradshaw’s passing.

"In our sorrow, we pay tribute to the inspiration and leadership he played in the cultural landscape of his adopted country," said COC board president David Ferguson.

"We are grieving and we will miss him terribly."

In his biography published on its web site, the opera company said Bradshaw first came to the COC as guest conductor in 1988. The following year, he became Chief Conductor and Head of Music, a position he held from 1989 to 1994, when he was appointed Artistic Director.

In January 1998, he was named General Director, the first musician to lead the company since Ettore Mazzoleni in the late 1950s.

Born in Rugby, England, in 1944, Bradshaw received an honours degree in English at London University in 1965. He studied conducting privately with Sir Adrian Boult, subsequently receiving a Gulbenkian Conducting Fellowship to work with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra under the supervision of Sir Charles Groves. He also worked as assistant to Sir John Pritchard.

In a career that took him around the world, Bradshaw conducted a wide-ranging repertoire of both operatic and orchestral music. He was Chorus Director at the Glyndebourne Festival from 1975–1977 and Resident Conductor at San Francisco Opera from 1977–1989.

He frequently conducted for most of the major international opera companies, symphony orchestras and music festivals.

In his 18 years with the Canadian company, he conducted more than 60 operas. Alongside traditional operatic fare, he introduced cutting edge COC productions such as “Bluebeard’s Castle/Erwartung,†“Salome,†“Mario and the Magician,†“Jenùfa†and “Oedipus Rex with Symphony of Psalms.â€

Bradshaw placed major emphasis on the theatrical as well as musical values of opera. He attracted from the world of film and theatre such innovative directors as Robert Lepage, Atom Egoyan and François Girard.

The double bill of Bartók’s “Bluebeard’s Castle†and “Schoenberg’s Erwartung,†directed by Lepage, set the standard for this type of collaboration and brought the opera company enormous international acclaim and its first invitation to the Edinburgh Festival where it received two prestigious awards.

Atom Egoyan’s 1996 production of “Salome†and François Girard’s 1997 production of “Oedipus Rex with Symphony of Psalms†drew large audiences of younger people attracted to opera for the first time.

Girard’s production received eight Dora Mavor Moore Awards confirming Bradshaw’s ambitious goal of making the COC “the best theatre in town.â€

In August 2002, the COC was invited back to the Edinburgh Festival and triumphed with its production of “Oedipus Rex with Symphony of Psalms.â€

Bradshaw strengthened the musical side of the COC. The COC Orchestra and Chorus have both grown in reputation and are acknowledged as the artistic backbone of the company.

Under his leadership, the COC took on an impressive schedule of concerts and recordings, in collaboration with the CBC, Harbourfront Centre and the Toronto Centre for the Arts.

Bradshaw established an ongoing recording partnership with CBC Records, the first in the COC’s history. Since 1995, a series of CDs has been released and more are planned. Featuring major Canadian singers such as Russell Braun, Benjamin Butterfield, Richard Margison, Wendy Nielsen, Brett Polegato, Gary Relyea and Michael Schade, the CDs have been best-sellers in Canada.

Bradshaw can also be heard with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra on the CBC recording of the Millennium Opera Gala at Roy Thomson Hall and with Russian baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky and members of the COC Ensemble in the soundtrack to the Rhombus Inc. film “Don Giovanni: Leporello’s Revenge.â€

The greatest challenge of Bradshaw’s tenure at the COC was the building of a new opera house for the company. Under the Canadian Opera House Corp., the architectural firm A. J. Diamond, Donald Schmitt and Co. was selected to design the new house at the corner of Queen St. W. and University Ave. in downtown Toronto.

The Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts opened its doors in June 2006 to critical acclaim and, in September, Bradshaw conducted the first complete cycle in Canada of Wagner’s “Der Ring des Nibelungen†in the new opera house.

Richard Bradshaw was a Senior Fellow of Massey College, was named 2006/2007 Distinguished Visiting Fellow of Massey College, Distinguished Visitor in Music and recipient of the degree of Doctor of Laws honoris causa, University of Toronto; Honorary Fellow of the Royal Conservatory of Music; Chevalier in the Order of Arts and Letters of the Republic of France and Member of the Order of Ontario.

He leaves his wife Diana and two children, Jenny and James.

A funeral will be held next Tuesday at 11 a.m. at St. James Cathedral in downtown Toronto.

He certainly went out on a high note after last year's triumphs, though I understand he had no plans to retire and hadn't lined up a replacement. Such fun to hear him crank up the COC orchestra to full, joyous volume in the Ring and Ledi Macbet last season - I'll always treasure those two in particular. The COC are doing one of his favourite operas, Pelleas et Melisande, next May.

I wonder who the replacement will be? Ricardo Muti has been between jobs ... since he was forced to resign from La Scala a couple of years ago. That'd be fun!

AP and I will be singing the Flower Duet from Lakme at the memorial service.

I know next to nothing about opera, but I want to bump this article as it's obviously a huge and tragic loss and the man deserves our acknowledgements.

I'm surprised there isn't a book of condolence in the lobby of the FSCPA for people to sign.

Apparently, the family didn't let the opera company know he'd died until the afternoon of the following day.

The arts community of the city loses another champion at a time when it needs them the most.

Are you going to the funeral service at the cathedral tomorrow? It starts at eleven. I hope I can swing it.

Singing should be nice.

Neither did I, which is why I'll try - death is such a downer if you actually knew the person.

It'll be the standard Anglican service. Interesting to see who goes.

Yup. When I got inside, at 10:30, it was standing room only. People kept streaming in behind me. Thank goodness it's a cool day, because it got warmer and warmer.

Just inside the door I came face to face with a tall heavy-set man who looked just like Bradshaw only a few years younger: we smiled and nodded. I think there were two brothers there.

I had to leave at the seventh inning stretch - communion - after two hours. Goodness knows when it will end, it felt like it never would. The young man standing next to me started swaying and gasping for air after an hour - I thought he'd faint in my arms ( :) ).

Lovely choir. I didn't get an order of service but I remembered one of the hymns everyone was belting out from my childhood morning school prayer service. John Fraser did a reading. There were several politicians including Bob Rae there, several dancers including Karen Kain, many, many COC singers and chorus members seated behind the family some having a cry now and then, other non-COC singers including Colin Ainsworth, several print and TV people ( Libby Znaimer recording the service ) including Wayne Gooding of Opera Canada, and some guy I don't know who lives on my street who took the same streetcar there that I did ...

Back