News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 611     0 

Revue Cinema reopens

US, that's a fantastic find. Thank you.

Having grown up in Hamilton I was interested in the page for that city, although I think there may be some minor inaccuracies. The Avalon is stated to have closed in 1965, but I'm quite sure it was later. I remember as a kid seeing "Endless Summer" at that theatre, in about 1968 or 69. It was a semi-documentary-style movie about some surfer dudes who travelled the world in search of the perfect wave. The photography was excellent.

* sigh ... *

Having grown up in Hamilton I was interested in the page for that city, although I think there may be some minor inaccuracies. The Avalon is stated to have closed in 1965, but I'm quite sure it was later. I remember as a kid seeing "Endless Summer" at that theatre, in about 1968 or 69. It was a semi-documentary-style movie about some surfer dudes who travelled the world in search of the perfect wave. The photography was excellent.

* sigh ... *

I "did time" in Hamilton for a brief period when I was managing theatres so I know of the Avalon, aka The Avon - though it had recently closed when I went there. As I recall, the story is the Avalon was renovated in the early 70's and renamed the "Avon". It closed in the mid-late 80's and last I heard it was a carpet store, but most of the cinema is still relatively intact.

* sigh ... *

When I was in undergrad, we used a seminar room that had a huge poster from Endless Summer in it. We always called it the Surfer Room. It wasn't until years later that I actually saw the movie, which is excellent.

Toronto had a great big thing for subterranean movie theatres at one time - in addition to the Sheraton Centre theatres there was a cluster of them below the Hudson Bay Centre at Yonge and Bloor, and that place at Bloor and Avenue Road ( forgive me, I' dreadful at names of things! ), and in the TD Centre when it first opened.

The little Gay Theatre on Parliament was renovated ( early '80's I think ) by a guy ( who, naturally, was gay ) but it didn't last long.

Yes, thanks US! I never heard of a few of those cinemas. The Fairlawn brings back great memories, that was one of my favorate cinemas. It got chopped into two cinemas around 1975 or 76 but the downstairs auditorium was still nice. The Fairlawn was famous for playing Sensurround movies throughout the 1970's, it worked really well there. That was one of the coolest sound systems ever.

I saw Jaws there when it first came out. There was another theatre across the street at that location that closed a few years before The Fairlawn closed.

My fave was the Willow Cinema located at Yonge and Norton in NYCC. $2.50 for two movies that were six months old which in those days were pretty new. I remember how the back rows were the smoking section. As if the smoke didn't drift to the non-smoking section. The Willow was torn down in the 80's and replaced by an office building. Q107 had its studios in the Yonge Norton Centre for a while.

I saw Jaws there when it first came out. There was another theatre across the street at that location that closed a few years before The Fairlawn closed.

My fave was the Willow Cinema located at Yonge and Norton in NYCC. $2.50 for two movies that were six months old which in those days were pretty new. I remember how the back rows were the smoking section. As if the smoke didn't drift to the non-smoking section. The Willow was torn down in the 80's and replaced by an office building. Q107 had its studios in the Yonge Norton Centre for a while.

Was it the Park Cinema? I think The Park was on the east side of Yonge north of Lawrence

The Bloor has great programming, it would be terrific to see the Metro saved from the wrecking ball and used for similar programming.

Back