News   Aug 07, 2024
 402     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 316     0 

Revue Cinema facade to be rebuilt

Observer Walt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some will remember that the nice old "retro" facade on the Revue Cinema collapsed last winter under the weight of snow. The following is now being circulated to those on their e-mailing list.

Don't forget the public meeting, Saturday March 22 at 10:30 a.m. at the theatre when a team of architects will present a show-and-tell on various options for the facade of the Revue. This will be a great opportunity to learn more about the history and architecture of the cinema, as well as the issues involved in preserving historic buildings.

The design team form E.R.A. Architects is led by Michael McClelland, one of Toronto's top preservation architects. He has worked on many high-profile projects, including the Distillery District, the Sony (formerly the Hummingbird and the O'Keefe) Centre, and the Massey Ferguson building on King St. near Strachan Ave.

Please join us for the discussion. Everyone is welcome.

-----

I'll take the liberty of highjacking my own thread to say that two absolute classic Hitchcock films are coming up at the Revue on Wed. March 26 and Thurs. March 27: The Birds and The Man Who Knew Too Much.
They are playing as a double bill on both evenings. Not to be missed for film nuts!

Thats great news!!!!

The Revue is a gem, I love that section of Roncessvalles, where the theatre is located, as it has old shops on both sides of the street, go another block south and all the shops are only on the east side of the street.

I definitely will go to the open house.

Though when something like heritage/restoration is allowed, wouldn't they allow exceptions?

I thought that the city didn't allow for any new marquees to be built...

I'm not sure that's the case (although someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Unlike decades ago, I am sure that City now requires encroachment agreements, insurance and indemnification. The legal issues are enough, I'm sure, to discourage many businesses from even trying. I also suspect that the suburban-mindset Works department probably does what it can to discourage marquees or old-style retail signage.

I'll take the liberty of highjacking my own thread to say that two absolute classic Hitchcock films are coming up at the Revue on Wed. March 26 and Thurs. March 27: The Birds and The Man Who Knew Too Much.
They are playing as a double bill on both evenings. Not to be missed for film nuts!

Hmmm. Very, very, very tempting.

Back