News   May 14, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 545     0 

Restaurant on King Blasting Loud Music All Day, Every Day — Noise By-Law Officers Shut Down During COVID

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anybody on King West near Spadina? Baro has re-opened for pickup and to draw attention to those in surrounding neighbourhoods, they're blasting music at full volume from their rooftop patio. It's a non-stop mix of Latin/Reggaeton 10 hours a day, every day. They're not just playing it on the sidewalk, they're deliberately trying to reach far. You can hear it as far as Bathurst at least.

I went over and asked if they could tone it down. I was predictably ignored so after 2 weeks of this, I finally called 311 to report the noise. Turns out By-Law officers are shut down during the pandemic. Police don't attend to noise complaints any more. There's literally no recourse. This is torture.

I'm planning to call Joe Cressy's office tomorrow to see if something can be done but I'm not expecting a resolution from his office. He's notoriously terrible with dealing with constituent issues. Even though he's a city councillor, his focus is on citywide policies. I've never had his office solve anything; often they don't even reply.

My hope is that if there are other residents affected by this, we can approach his office as a group.

I don't live in the area, but excessively loud and obnoxious music is definitely a reason why I'd typically avoid certain restaurants and bars.

As a side note, it looks like the MARBL restaurant at 455 King St W has been drawing large crowds of people outside drinking.

I don't live in the area, but excessively loud and obnoxious music is definitely a reason why I'd typically avoid certain restaurants and bars.

As a side note, it looks like the MARBL restaurant at 455 King St W has been drawing large crowds of people outside drinking.

Yes, I noticed that too. There were several dozen people hanging out there and music sounded like it was coming from the cars but because it was at street level, it didn’t really spread. Baro is intentionally blasting out their music so that it can reach several blocks away.

There’s no recourse. After hours of listening to this music on loop, somebody is eventually going to snap and take matters into their own hands and I can’t promise that won’t be me. ?

Can I phone for help with bylaw officers to do something about the noise of the Gardiner/Lakeshore/diesel trains combo I live above?
It's torture. 24 hours a day.
Also makes breathing difficult, never mind the noise.

Back