News   Jul 03, 2024
 240     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 230     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Romagna Mia on Front Street East at George has changed its name to Paganelli's Rissoteria. Emilio P is the long-time chef so this renaming may not change much.

Must say that when my partner and I moved into St Lawrence neighbourhood we used to eat at RM quite often but it got more and more expensive - for the same food - and we have not been there for ages. Time to try again?

The Bowery on Colborne

Does anybody know a background on the new restaurant on Colborne Lane called The Bowery?

Yesterday I noticed a staff meeting at Against the Grain, which is to be the new restaurant/tavern at the Corus Building, so it should be open soon.

I ate there tonight and loved it!

The patio is quite a nice place. Some of the tables have outdoor sofa's and chairs, and two sets are located around fire pits (Natural gas of course). Definitely a great place to unwind. They have some unique beers on tap too that you won't find at most restaurants, as well as a large selection of bottles.

Does anybody know a background on the new restaurant on Colborne Lane called The Bowery?

Is that the former Six Steps location? I thought I noticed a couple weeks ago it was closed for reno. Maybe they are also renaming? As an NYC fan, I am curious on the thought behind the name.

I ate there tonight and loved it!

The patio is quite a nice place. Some of the tables have outdoor sofa's and chairs, and two sets are located around fire pits (Natural gas of course). Definitely a great place to unwind. They have some unique beers on tap too that you won't find at most restaurants, as well as a large selection of bottles.

My wife and I went by Against the Grain yesterday as well, while we were in the area checking out the Sugar Beach/Sherbourne Common progress. A really beautiful space inside and a fantastic patio outside. Service was a bit fumbling, but they were friendly and trying hard so I'll cut them some slack since they've only been open a few days. We just tried some apps and they were hit-and-miss: the maple chipotle chicken wings were delicious, though the chipotle heat was MIA and the carrot/celery stick garnishes were very dried out so we dared not touch them. The pulled porked tacos were very good, but really messy to eat. The tempura vegetables were honestly awful, they'd been left in the fryer far too long and became dark brown grease-soaked bombs.

On the whole I'd say the food was decent, the beer list fantastic (with both local Mill St. and European options, everything served in its correct glass, which I like). The prices are overall quite high (apps $10-12, mains $15-20, beer pints $7-8) but I understand I'm paying a premium for the location and that patio view. ATG will be a great addition to the waterfront if they can work out some kinks. That patio is huge but it will be rammed all summer, guaranteed, since this is really the only food or drink option in the newly developed area.

http://www.atgurbantavern.ca/

Last edited:
I see Harvey's is making a come back. I have seen 3 new stores location that will be opening soon in the past week.

The latest can be found on the south side of St Clair W, just west of Bathurst St. One is on the south side of Eglinton Ave E, a block east of Yonge St. Forgot where the 3rd one is.

St Louis Wings and Ribs is opening a small store on Yonge St right on the corner of ?, south of Wellesley.

The infamous Joey's Eaton Centre location had it's hoarding come down after about 8 months. Is this place actually going to have a patio?

Toronto-20110608-00057.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto-20110608-00057.jpg
    Toronto-20110608-00057.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 385
King West Update

- New restaurant WVRST, a German-style beer hall is now open close to Portland Street. A 30-seat boulevard patio is planned.

- New ice cream shop near Brant Street, Cool Hand Luc, is serving Kawarthas and some dairy-free sorbets.

- SOMA chocolatiers near Spadina is coming along. If you hop to see over the paper in the window, you can see that they've installed shelving and neat lights.

- Finally some progress at Alimento, the gourmet food shop at King & Brant: they have some display coolers sitting inside now.

- SpiceSafar is history. The space is now back to being Atelier, but I think they're still serving food/coffee.

- New restaurant WVRST, a German-style beer hall is now open close to Portland Street. A 30-seat boulevard patio is planned.

I love this place! I've been there twice already! I just wish they lowered their beer price to encourage people to stick around more after having a sausage.

Yes, surprisingly expensive. It's run by a resident of the building and he plans to stay afloat during winter by replacing ice cream with soup.

I like the idea of this place, but I honestly don't expect it to last.

Old prison chapel in Liberty Village set to become a new Miller Tavern location within the next year: http://ow.ly/5mNHD

Finally, something nice for the far less fortunate half of Liberty Village. Great use of an old heritage building surrounded by uggo condos.

Back