News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Read in the North Toronto Post that Terroni is taking over the MBCo location at Five Thieves--not just the ground floor but the second story too. They'll be closing their Balmoral and Yonge location (their lease is about to expire).

There's a "Firkin on King" opening in the former offices of ACLC at 469 King Street West. That's the first floor of this amazing building, next to Rodney's Oyster House (where I spotted Morgan Freeman yesterday!). Two buildings east is Fynn's of Temple Bar, which is far superior to any Firkin bar I've ever been to.

I really hope they do something tasteful with the beautiful interior space they've got, but I'm sure they'll fill it with tacky Irish kitsch like most of their locations.

Pretty disappointed about this. We lost a cool advertising agency and gained the "Denny's" of Irish Pubs. Not to mention yet another bar on this strip of King Street.

I'm quite happy to see a new pub going in. I do hope the interior is done well though and takes advantage of those great big windows. Fynn's is great and all but it's so dark inside and it can sometimes feel a bit depressing. The one thing I wonder is what their pint prices will be like. Last thing we need is another bar that charges $7 or $8 for a pint of domestic beer.

Another thing I noticed today was that Bruce Mau looks like he's opened up a new space down one of those alleys.

I'm quite happy to see a new pub going in. I do hope the interior is done well though and takes advantage of those great big windows. Fynn's is great and all but it's so dark inside and it can sometimes feel a bit depressing. The one thing I wonder is what their pint prices will be like. Last thing we need is another bar that charges $7 or $8 for a pint of domestic beer.

Another thing I noticed today was that Bruce Mau looks like he's opened up a new space down one of those alleys.

Really? Pub Wellington (try it -- it's not as dark as Fynn's and the food + atmosphere are great), Fynn's, Blah Markt and that totally uninteresting sports bar beside the LCBO weren't enough?

Firkins are generally pretty overpriced :( I guess a closer analogy than Denny's would be Jack Astors. It's the Jack Astors of Irish pubs. Not the greatest fit for this neighbourhood, imo. Not when you're next door to Crush and Brassaii (which has recently reopened after rennovating and is terrific).

I'd feel exactly the same way if it was a St. Louis Bar & Grill, or another Shoeless Joe's, or Gabby's. Hopefully something really interesting will move into the former Mini Downtown space across the street to offset this.

Last edited:
I love the Wellington but for watching sports, I find the TV's are usually located in the wrong spots and they are often too small. The Welly is my destination of choice especially in the summer. I guess a pub is better than another nightclub or fancy restaurant i'll never go to.

Scaramouche to stay on Avenue Road for now...

Toronto's Scaramouche solves lease woes and will remain in same location
JUDY CREIGHTON

March 11, 2010 7:48 p.m.

TORONTO - The landmark and award-winning Scaramouche restaurant will be staying at One Benvenuto Place until the end of 2016.

The announcement comes after several years of lease negotiations and speculation about where the venerable Toronto eatery would move.

"We're delighted Scaramouche will be staying in its current location so we can continue to provide our many loyal clients and guests with the high level of cuisine and trusted service that's been recognized for years," says Carl Korte, partner in the restaurant.

"Extending our lease also means we can happily reinvest in our kitchen and dining room to maintain our position as one of Toronto's top restaurants with the best view in town."

Executive chef and partner Keith Froggett says, "This a great way for Scaramouche to celebrate its 30th anniversary and we look forward to our next decade of operating a successful and vibrant restaurant."

The restaurant, tucked into the corner of a stately condominium off Avenue Road in mid-town Toronto, has been earning accolades for its food, service and glittering skyline view since 1980.

It looks like there's a new location of Sandwich Box going in on Bay Street, just north of Bloor, in the space vacated by Good Foot. Surprised it took them so long; that area's a good fit for a $9 sandwich.

Scarpetta to open in the new Thompson Toronto hotel on Wellington St. W. late in May. Star article link here.

Damn, when will this city actually get a decent, affordable Mexican restaurant? Right now we're sort of stuck between the expensive slowness of El Sol Mexican Art Cafe and some places that have $8 burritos and industrial grade salsa.

Damn, when will this city actually get a decent, affordable Mexican restaurant? Right now we're sort of stuck between the expensive slowness of El Sol Mexican Art Cafe and some places that have $8 burritos and industrial grade salsa.

El Jacal on Bloor by Dufferin isn't bad; neither is El Trompo in Kensington, both price and food wise.

Both have been tested and approved by my girlfriend; she's from Mexico and has a more informed opinion than this whiteboy.

Back