News   May 02, 2024
 151     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 149     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 196     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

The Freshii at the base of the Globe & Mail Centre had a lease termination letter in the window as of yesterday. Crazy, as it is so highly trafficked and one of the few lunch options in the area.
I never pass it at lunch, only in the evening and on weekends and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a customer inside it.
I wonder if this is an issue of a landlord requiring operating hours that are far beyond reasonable for the space? Like they insisted it must open seven days a week and a minimum number of hours per day? That might have made it nonviable.

Last edited:

This looks like a nice spot and the cocktails seem well-crafted, but am I crazy for thinking the pricing is just a little on the high side of things? $25-$29 for a cocktail and $15 for 3 pieces of Har Gow? Also, downstairs at Cafe Renee, $36 for a half-dozen of Kumamoto oysters (misspelled as "Kumomoto" on their menu) is rather shocking.

I’m sure they’ll find plenty of people willing to pay that. It’s not much more than cocktails at any other place these days. Definitely very conspicuous consumption, though.

This looks like a nice spot and the cocktails seem well-crafted, but am I crazy for thinking the pricing is just a little on the high side of things? $25-$29 for a cocktail and $15 for 3 pieces of Har Gow? Also, downstairs at Cafe Renee, $36 for a half-dozen of Kumamoto oysters (misspelled as "Kumomoto" on their menu) is rather shocking.

In a word "No"

The pricing of the cocktails strikes me as egregiously high, the rest only strikes me as excessive, LOL.

$25 to 29 for a cocktail is absurd, this place is an easy no for me.

It's the neighbourhood. Within a stones throw of this place there's probably a dozen other places serving $25 cocktails. I suspect their target market is not UT readers...

This place is right next door.

MATCHA SOUR​

Grey Goose La Poire, St. Germain, Matcha, Lemon, Egg White
$22

STAR OF EARTH​

Tanqueray, Luxardo Amaretto, Prosecco, Vanilla, Passion Fruit, Lime
$25

RED DRAGON​

Patrón Silver, Aperol, Pineapple, Lime Leaf, Chili, Lime, Lemongrass Essence
$26

SISTENE SAMURAI​

Masetro Dobel Diamante, Agave, Citric, Toasted Chamomile, Vanilla, Salt
$24

GIN MARTINI​

The Botanist, Dolin Dry. Served Dry, Wet, or Dirty
$21

EMPRESS WU​

Ketel One, Mango, Coconut Water, Cilantro, Lime, Ginger Beer
$23

VODKA MARTINI​

Grey Goose, Dolin Dry. Served Dry, Wet, or Dirty
$21

CHUN-LI​

Don Julio Blanco, Lillet Blanc, Szechuan, Green Chartreuse, Agave, Lime
$25

ESPRESSO MARTINI​

Grey Goose, Kahlua, Espresso
$24

DASHA OLD FASHIONED​

Bulleit, Pandan, Angostura Bitters, Smoke
$26

I imagine it's the same crowd that keeps all of the King W establishments going. A mix of professionals who can easily afford it, "aspiring" professionals who can't but enjoy the conspicuous consumption aspect, tourists, and people out for a big night to celebrate something and think the best way to do that is drop a lot of cash on something "unique".

Sorry if this has already been posted, but a new omazake sushi restaurant is the first retail coming to the Gloucester.

IMG_0720.jpeg

Back