News   May 07, 2024
 194     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 614     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Caribbean eatery, Scotty Bons, is opening at 402 Bloor St W (@ Brunswick) in the Annex area in early January 2021:

Salad King is opening a second location, which will be at Queen W & McCaul, also the same building where the Marvelous by Fred bakery is at:

Sad news. 😟 I prefer Canyon Creek over The Keg. I'm trying to think when was the last time i was at a steakhouse? I think it was around Christmas 2019. I hardly ate out last year. An expensive steak dinner isn't something i want for take out.

An expensive steak dinner isn't something i want for take out.

Agreed. You can't really pack up a 50 dollar dinner.

Sad news. 😟

When I worked there they had a 3 day Ski Trip called Ski Cup in Blue Mountain paid for by SIR Corp with all the booze you can drink supplied by the company suppliers.

I went there in 2007 and loved every minute of it. I hotboxed it in a 50 Degree Celsius Sauna with some very cheap cannabis and 76% Vodka. I ended up tripping out so bad that I went full Kool-Aid Man through the sauna door and ran out the front door naked straight through 4 feet of snow.

My boss drove behind me in her car and recorded it for "insurance purposes". They found me rocking and shaking in the fetal position in a snowbank.

I am surprised I still had a job after but I did. My guess is that they found it too comical not to keep me.

Ski Cup was great. People were having sex throughout the blue mountain lodge, there were a few pregnancies potentially linked to it and a few marriages were known to have arisen from the events there.

They had to cancel it eventually because people were crying sexual harassment and non-consensual sex. The lawyers ended it.

^Are you serious LOL
sounds like Fear and Loathing in Collingwood

Very serious. Ski Cup was its own beast and meant to be a no rules way for the staff to unwind after the busy holiday season.

It was fun and notorious amongst SIR Corp staff for the antics that ensued. Those no rules antics where people were haven drunken orgies were one of the reasons it was banned.

Agreed. You can't really pack up a 50 dollar dinner.

When I worked there they had a 3 day Ski Trip called Ski Cup in Blue Mountain paid for by SIR Corp with all the booze you can drink supplied by the company suppliers.

I went there in 2007 and loved every minute of it. I hotboxed it in a 50 Degree Celsius Sauna with some very cheap cannabis and 76% Vodka. I ended up tripping out so bad that I went full Kool-Aid Man through the sauna door and ran out the front door naked straight through 4 feet of snow.

My boss drove behind me in her car and recorded it for "insurance purposes". They found me rocking and shaking in the fetal position in a snowbank.

I am surprised I still had a job after but I did. My guess is that they found it too comical not to keep me.

Ski Cup was great. People were having sex throughout the blue mountain lodge, there were a few pregnancies potentially linked to it and a few marriages were known to have arisen from the events there.

They had to cancel it eventually because people were crying sexual harassment and non-consensual sex. The lawyers ended it.

A Bay Street law firm that I won't mention (think three letters) cancelled its retreats at Whistler for the same reason, and this was pre-COVID.

A Bay Street law firm that I won't mention (think three letters) cancelled its retreats at Whistler for the same reason, and this was pre-COVID.

No working-class drunken orgies for the old money.

Blue-chip all the way!

What happened in Whistler, stayed in Whistler........well.......for 9 months anyway.

Sad news. 😟 I prefer Canyon Creek over The Keg. I'm trying to think when was the last time i was at a steakhouse? I think it was around Christmas 2019. I hardly ate out last year. An expensive steak dinner isn't something i want for take out.
I gotta say I love the old school stakehouse experience like the old Hy's. I want to sit at a gigantic booth with red leather upholstery and a little lamp on the wall, a caesar salad made table side, a properly sized portion of meat for dinner, and something flambeed for dessert.

The new age steakhouse with staff who would all rather be somewhere else, POP MUSIC AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE, and specials of 30oz tomahawk steaks (which could feed three people) does not appeal to me, and that's before the fact their prices are even higher than the old school ones, nevermind the constant upsell specials like "do you want to add King Crab legs" for an extra $40 (price not disclosed by server when ordering) which is mysteriously available 365 days a year.

Last edited:
I gotta say I love the old school stakehouse experience like the old Hy's. I want to sit at a gigantic booth with red leather upholstery and a little lamp on the wall, a caesar salad made table side, a properly sized portion of meat for dinner, and something flambeed for dessert.
The new age stakehouse with staff who would all rather be somewhere else, POP MUSIC AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE, and specials of 30oz tomahawk steaks does not appeal to me, and that's before the fact their prices are even higher than the old school ones.

When you are paying 50 dollars or more for a meal at places like a Steakhouse, Italian, etc you deserve to have a good atmosphere. Chain steakhouses aren't really appealing to me. Smith Bros. in Scarborough is ok but still not the greatest.

That's what I liked the most about Fred's not here. It was a small intimate little italian venue and nothing fancy but it was cozy without all the pop music.

Back