News   Jun 10, 2024
 228     0 
News   Jun 10, 2024
 386     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

You want to save restaurants? Stop using third party deliveries. They are killing restaurants right now, taking up to 20 to 30%! Get curb side pick up instead or delivery provided by the in house delivery team

Restaurants relying on Uber Eats angry about weekend outage

Turmoil, with a side of anxiety. Restaurants face uncertain future amid COVID-19

Posted: Apr 30, 2020 4:00 AM ET

Restaurants Canada, an organization representing the food services industry, says that thousands of restaurants have already been forced to close for good, and more are likely to follow.

"It's going to be a complete destruction of some segment of the business," said David Lefebvre, Restaurants Canada vice president, federal and Quebec.

"I would say especially the small independent operators are having a really, really hard time … Those that did not have the capacity to go into delivery and take out."

He also points out that, unlike other businesses, stock in a restaurant consists of perishable goods, meaning that those forced to close, or cut back significantly, lost a large part of their inventory.

As well, restaurants are quite labour intensive and need more employees per dollar of revenue than other industries, Lefebvre said.

"The amount and the quantity of people that had to be taken care off, laid off, furloughed was quite higher compared to gross revenues than other businesses," Lefebvre said.

Happy Coffee and Wine are doing their own delivery if anyone wants wine and coffee beans....and some other goodies.

Check it if you're within Keele-Dupont-University-Lake! happycoffeeandwine.com <3

I don't work for them....I just love them and they've made my life better so I'm repping my people.

Pico opening next to the Hyatt on Bloor West.
9EE80551-0BFA-4078-82A3-CC4BBC7A24F9.jpeg

Another one gone. Southern Accent at College & Ossington (formerly at Markham St & Bloor W but moved for the Mirvish Village development), has also closed:

I don't understand the logic of kicking/pushing out tenants and small business for not being able to pay rent right now.... who are they expecting to come and take the place of the evicted and pay full price?
Well we know why for this pizzeria. It's buried in that BlogTO story that the owner of the shop has a lawsuit in progress against the landlord for $150,000 in damages from something before the pandemic happened. The landlord here is taking advantage of the situation to get rid of what they see as a nuisance tenant.

On top of this, Blanchard filed a lawsuit against Liberty Atlantic in 2018 for damages of about $150,000

I wouldn't be surprised if many evictions now are the result of landlord-tennant relations that have turned sour for some reason in the past.

A new restaurant opened in the place where Portland Variety was: Ruby SoHo Bar. They had been in renovations over the winter and opened for food pickup despite the pandemic. Seems popular. There are more than a dozen people mingling around the entrance waiting for their order.

www.rubysohobar.com

Well, just found the reason for Ruby Soho's popularity:

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 4.49.29 PM.png

Competition for deliveries is finally here. We'll see how long it takes for the big players to simply buy out these new apps.

Back