Report: Argos, CFL looking into an NFL team for Toronto

toforumer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Report: Argos, CFL looking into NFL team

Toronto Argonauts

TSN.ca Staff

10/11/2007 10:12:35 AM

The ownership of the Toronto Argonauts and the CFL have begun laying groundwork to buy an NFL franchise, reports the Globe and Mail.

Sources told the newspaper that David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski, along with the CFL commissioner Mark Cohon and some of the CFL governors, are involved in a plan that could bring an NFL team to Toronto while keeping the CFL and Argonauts healthy.

"It's the single biggest issue the CFL is facing," a league source told the Globe and Mail.

The newspaper estimates the price tag on an NFL team could be as high as US$1 billion.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=220366&hubname=

--This is the first time I've read that the Argos and CFL are supporting such an acquisition. I hope they succeed in getting an NFL franchise, it would be so successful in Toronto.

The chances of a team coming to Toronto aren't that great, so why bother supporting it? Perhaps they have some inside information...

David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski, along with the CFL commissioner Mark Cohon and some of the CFL governors, are involved in a plan that could bring an NFL team to Toronto while keeping the CFL and Argonauts healthy.

Could be that they are just trying to thumb it to Rogers, seeing as they would be one of the the other serious ownership candidates for NFL in Canada.

I don't exactly know how the Argos would stay "healthy" with a NFL team in town, other than the fact that this "plan" involves NFL seasons tickets coming with the rider that you also purchase CFL seasons tickets.

I think even with a team in Toronto the CFL could still survive. Toronto and Hamilton might disappear, but the CFL is strong in the west, and could look at expanding into other "2nd tier professional sporting markets" (i.e. those that aren't going to get a big league NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL team), even in the USA. I could see team in Northern states like the Dakotas or Idaho or even interior Washington being able to draw enough to support a CFL team.

As for those that say the NFL will never come to Canada, I don't see why not. Frankly, of all the major leagues, the NFL is the team that least seems to be relevant to actual place. I mean, every week people tune in to watch teams from Green Bay, Indianapolis or Cincinatti. These are hardly "top tier" destinations in the USA. NFL is based so much on TV revenues, and with such a compact viewing schedule, it's easy to bring in new teams and get people up to speed on them quickly. I think it also helps that you really only need to get people to know a few of the players (the QB, a receiver or two, a running back and maybe a few other players), and people can feel like they are big fans of the team.

If the American viewing audience will tune in to watch teams from small market American cities, there's no reason I can see that they wouldn't watch a team from T.O.

I agree. I'm sure Hamilton would survive a new NFL team, and the Argos might even be able to make it, too. They'd certainly be on a more level playing field with the other CFL teams. I also think that CFL could be successful in a number of other more medium-sized markets, like out in the Maritimes and in cities like Kitchener-Waterloo or Victoria.

Well considering the CFL and NFL are on pretty much opposite schedules (CFL - June-November, NFL, September-February), I don't see why it couldn't work. There would be little conflict between the two in terms of TV, fans, etc. In fact, the CFL is probably looking into it because I can see it boosting popularity for football in Canada. It's the same as introducing indoor soccer - to keep the sport at the top of peoples's mind all year long. (of course, completely ignorin gthe fact that arena football was the biggest failure of all -- that and the XFL... remember the XFL?)

This is just an attempt by the Argo owners to get Rogers or MLSE to buy the team. By joining the race for the NFL and requesting exclusive rights to any Canadian expansion team the Argo’s owners hope Rogers and MLSE will buy them out to get rid of the competition.

The CFL is a very affordable league to watch and the Argos have such a small but dedicated fan base that they would most likely see similar attendance and get the same tv ratings they do now. The NFL team on the other hand would be a massive draw and instant sellouts. There would also be the promise of a proper facility being build as the dome could only be a short-term solution do to a lack of seating.

Realistic scenerio.. perhaps a partnering with the Bills that see's half the home games in Toronto and half in Buffalo.

The best way to get this done would be to move an existing franchise, the NFL is 100% set on awarding the next expansion team to LA... seems unlikely that Toronto could sneak in with it.

Globe

Link to article

CFL governors dismiss NFL relocation

DAN RALPH

Canadian Press

October 11, 2007 at 7:30 PM EDT

Two CFL governors have dismissed the notion of Toronto Argonauts owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski purchasing an existing NFL franchise and moving it to Toronto in partnership with the other CFL owners.

On Thursday, The Globe and Mail reported Cynamon and Sokolowski have started looking into the idea and spoken to current CFL governors and commissioner Mark Cohon about it.

Cynamon and Sokolowski reportedly want to head off an NFL bid by another Toronto-based group that includes communications mogul Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum, the chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

But two CFL governors, speaking on the condition of anonymity, downplayed the report.

"It was thrown around as a crazy concept, just a loose, crazy concept," said one.

"The Argos owners are very paranoid about it, and probably with good reason. But it's all very, very premature . . . I think everyone is getting way ahead of themselves."

Added the other governor: "Let me tell you, this is very, very, very premature."

Attempts to reach Cynamon, Sokolowski and Cohon were unsuccessful Thursday.

The governors spoke to The Canadian Press after the CFL told its member clubs not to comment publicly about the report. That included Bob Ackles, the B.C. Lions president and longtime NFL executive who last week said the NFL's arrival into Toronto would kill the CFL.

But Toronto Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey, the pointman for the Rogers-Tanenbaum group who has been chasing an NFL franchise for Toronto for decades, was more than willing to talk about a possible about-face in the CFL's lognstanding opposition to the arrival of an NFL team.

While he was skeptical about the report, he pointed out that any attempt to bring the NFL to Toronto would have come through his group.

"They don't quote anybody at all so my first impression is I don't know if it's a trial balloon or speculative story," Godfrey said. "But if you use the assumption that the CFL has embraced the idea of an NFL team in Toronto, I would sure love to sit down and speak to them on behalf of the Rogers-Tanenbaum group because I think our interests are totally in parallel.

"We all believe, and I'm speaking on everybody's behalf, that the Toronto NFL team and the Toronto CFL team could co-exist. I would go further and say a Toronto NFL team would do everything in its power to ensure that the CFL is stronger and healthier in every aspect than they have been.

"I would like to speak to them to show them that there are ways and means we can work closely together with the CFL to make it all happen."

And that would include ensuring a place for a Toronto-based NFL team to play because Rogers Communications Inc., also happens to own the Rogers Centre, which could serve as a short-term home for an NFL franchise.

"It sounds to me that if that's what they want, they want to play here, we should all be talking together," Godfrey said. "Obviously, they're going to have to speak to us at some point so why don't they speak to us now . . . if the substance of the story is true, we have the same goals."

In an e-mail, Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice-president of communications, said: "We do not have any expansion plans and no teams have filed the necessary paperwork for relocation."

However, speculation has swirled for months about the future of the Buffalo Bills since 89-year-old owner Ralph Wilson said he wouldn't sell the club while he's alive and that the Bills will go to the highest bidder upon his death.

This marks the second time the Argos owners have explored options for their club. Last month, one report said they had started looking into moving to BMO Field, the home of the Toronto FC soccer team, despite having a lease agreement at Rogers Centre.

Why waste a $1 billion on a league that has 16 games a season? And only 8 home games. Not to mention the fact that the NFL is boring as hell. And a new stadium would have to be built. It's a total waste of money.

I think even with a team in Toronto the CFL could still survive. Toronto and Hamilton might disappear, but the CFL is strong in the west, and could look at expanding into other "2nd tier professional sporting markets" (i.e. those that aren't going to get a big league NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL team), even in the USA. I could see team in Northern states like the Dakotas or Idaho or even interior Washington being able to draw enough to support a CFL team.

Interestingly, the CFL tried an expansion into "2nd tier" market in the nineties which failed even in the west (the most successful team was Baltimore which made it to the Grey Cup Finals). This Wikipedia page should elaborate.

On another note, think of the tourism opportunities if the Superbowl took place here.

Baltimore won the Grey Cup. They got 30-40,000 per game, and moved to Montreal (becoming the successful Alouettes) because Baltimore then got the Ravens, screwing Cleveland over for a few years.

I remember quite well the CFL USA expansion. I don't think they picked appropriate cities, frankly. Those cities were too close to other sporting options - baseball, NFL football, College football, etc.

I would think they would have better luck if the concentrated on northern plain states. Fargo, North Dakato; Boise, Idaho; Billings, Montana; etc.

GregWTravels - I concur with most of what you have said in your two posts. However let's expand on this a bit more, just to think out of the box.

For years I've seen players and coaches go between the NFL and CFL. Going to the NFL seems to be a step up, and the CFL a step down. With the NFL playing exhibitions in Mexico, Europe, and this year in Japan, it is not so far fetched as to contemplate the NFL coming into Canada and attempting to takeover the CFL outright. Now that would be revolting to many here, but it would make sense to them - something like a development league for their franchises with them in control. This practise goes on in Major League Baseball, except that Canada then turned it on its head by recognising the situation, and selectively joining up with the Major League by creating franchises in Montreal and Toronto, with talk of Vancouver ... but as it turned out, only the Jays in Toronto remain - with the Expos becoming the Washington Nationals.

A third option, probably happening in private for years from what I read, is a joint venture, whereby both leagues map out places they can coexist in North America, spreading the risk, and growing the sport in some manner. This might mean not just a CFL in the US but possibly in Mexico or elsewhere, depending on what was worked out. But that could lead to things that neither organisation would want to seriously consider in a formal sense.

As I see it, the CFL is currently in a very weakened position vis-a-vis the NFL, due to the waning interest in the sport and/or poor marketing. CFL expansion can work, but the trough it would feed in would not be where the NFL could really make money,with rare exception. Otherwise you would see a more noticeable reaction than seen thus far. Last I checked, Fargo is still marketed to by the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL, and the population of Billings and the surrounding area is probably too small to matter for any professional football organisation - Canadian or American.

Back