216     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 444     0 

Rented an apartment in Downtown Toronto, but I have a few concerns

Markosea

Member Bio
Reaction score
Howdy y'all,
My name is Mark, I just rented my own place here on Toronto and I am looking around for the places to see.

The night life in this city is crazy, I love it, The Downtown core is a lot like New York!

I am posting here to ask a question about safety: How safe is the Subway late-night/early-morning?
and just a more specific one: The apartment I rented is at Spadina and Queens Quay...
Is that area safe at night to be alone even for short walks?

Have a blast and I hope to see you Torontonians around in the real world too!

(Assuming this isn't some elaborate ploy to work some SEO magic on that new rental listings site...)

The subway is safe all the time, though using it between 1:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. is difficult as it is closed. Several of the streetcar routes are 24 hours, though.

Spadina and Queens Quay is very safe, as is the entire downtown core, really. Watch for cars, though - it's not entirely pedestrian friendly coming up Spadina.

That Queen's Quay and Spadina area usually is pretty safe, but it always pays to be careful.

For the subway it also depends on where you're coming from/going. I consider most of the downtown stations fairly safe, but a few of the non-downtown ones might be more sketchy.

I live in that area, and I don't worry about coming home alone at night. My daughter has lived here for 3 years with no issues. Of course, as Eug says, you do have to be careful; you can't just assume safety.

It's very safe, but it's wise to have street-sense (do not look lost, stay in well lit areas, keep your wallet/purse secure, etc.).
Queens Quay tends to be a quieter area, but you definitely have to pay attention to the traffic.

I suppose it depends where you're comparing it to, but yes, generally it's safe. By world standards Toronto is a very safe city. I've never felt unsafe on the subway, or downtown, at any time of night.

lock your doors and don't go out after 6PM without a security guard or ak47 under your coat.

Toronto is crime and drug infested with pimps and dealers around every corner, waiting for you to turn around so they can mug, rape or kill you ...

even worse are the girl guides and boy scout, who will harvest your organs to cash it for some bling at the next camp out

/// end sarcasm ///

Howdy y'all,
My name is Mark, I just rented my own place here on Toronto and I am looking around for the places to see.

Not sure where exactly you rented but I've only ever had one problem at night in over 25 years of living downtown, I got robbed on Charles St. West back in the 80's but wasn't hurt. If on occasion you sense something isn't right, it probably isn't so move on - always use a bit of street-sense. But certainly don't dwell over it, get comfortable & settled in your neighbourhood and enjoy everything great that Toronto has to offer without fear at all times of the day and night.

Not sure where exactly you rented but I've only ever had one problem at night in over 25 years of living downtown, I got robbed on Charles St. West back in the 80's but wasn't hurt. If on occasion you sense something isn't right, it probably isn't so move on - always use a bit of street-sense. But certainly don't dwell over it, get comfortable & settled in your neighbourhood and enjoy everything great that Toronto has to offer without fear at all times of the day and night.

Oh wow,
Thank you DT_Toronto_Geek,
I didn't even realize that the place wasn't there,
I am renting a place on Queens Quay West
http://www.rentseeker.ca/PropertyList.aspx/Rentals/Toronto/390_Queens_Quay_W
I thought i put it in on the first page.

That probably explains the concern of me being a spammer.
Sorry all

Last edited:

Back