News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     5 

Reno Question - OK Ethics crew this one is for you.

N

nassauone

We are in the midst of Renovating our main floor. New hardwood, knock out a wall, brand new kitchen. We started this ages ago in January when we had an electrician come over and re-route a 220 line and add some new halogens in the kitchen. His cost was $2200 and we gave him $1100. We did not continue work due to cash flow then but now we are able to and are going in full steam ahead.

That was January. Our contractors are in there now finally putting in floors and drywalling the kitchen. They said they could easily do the electrical as all that is left is routing 110 to new wall and adding the sockets.

Should we call the original electrician who has not contacted us since the original job or should we just let these guys do it? We did not sign any contracts with him. (why you may ask do we not just call him to come in? An additional $1100 for a job that the contractor can do as part of his fee)

Heart says call electrician - brain says save money.

Thoughts?

You already have an oral agreement with the electrician, so use him.

Not adhereing to agreements is no way to do business.

This is not the kind of situation where you want to save money. Paying top dollar to an expert is the most sensible solution.

Yeah. I am calling him today.

To be straight there was no new work that neededto be done it was just moving a socket - no new wiring. Essentially really basic.

Did you get a permit for the electrical work?

All electrical work needs to be inspected by the ESA - Electrical Safety Authority.

If it's not, and something electrical down the line goes bad and causes your place to burn down, your home insurance won't cover you.

Thanks guys for bringing me back to reality. The electrician we are using always has the ESA do a final inspection.

There are actually two inspections - a "rough in" and "final".

But it's good news that he applied for a ESA permit.

I did all the electrical work in my triplex myself. I rewired about 75% of the house.

Pulled three lines of heavy 240 Volt 8/3 cable all the way from the basement to each suite, as well as several new circuits for my bathroom and kitchen.

The home was built in 1958, so each suite was served by only 4 circuits.

Was a pain in the ass, but I saved thousands.

I did hire an electrician to upgrade my panels to 3x100 amp and service to 200 amp.

nas, before you continue with your project, you might want to familiarize yourself with the provisions of the Construction Lien Act. This could save you money and grief.

Back