News   Aug 27, 2024
 411     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 405     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 786     0 

Rename Lionel-Groulx Station for Oscar Peterson?

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Peterson tribute proposal hits sour note
Some want to salute jazz legend by rechristening Montreal subway station already named for a historical figure

INGRID PERITZ

March 6, 2008

MONTREAL -- Jazz great Oscar Peterson and nationalist cleric Lionel Groulx undoubtedly never met during their lifetimes. But now the two men and their legacies are converging - in the most unlikely of places.

A grassroots campaign has taken hold in Montreal to rename a busy subway station after Mr. Peterson, the Montreal-born music legend who died in December.

The problem is that the station, located around the corner from where Mr. Peterson was born and raised, is currently named Station Lionel-Groulx.

For proponents, whose numbers are growing, swapping the names accomplishes two things at once: It honours a local luminary who rose from humble origins to world acclaim, and it erases the name of a polarizing figure who espoused sometimes unsavoury views about minorities.

"Oscar Peterson is important as a symbol of success over adversity," said Michael Citrome, a Montreal graduate law student whose renaming campaign on FaceBook has attracted 5,000 members. "Lionel Groulx has a message that immediately divides Quebeckers. He's the symbol of an era that we need to put behind us."

Still, name changes have a way of igniting fierce passions and exposing dormant fault lines among Montrealers. The decision to rename Dorchester Boulevard after former Parti Québécois premier René Lévesque in 1987 sparked years of acrimony. More recently, Mayor Gérald Tremblay tried to rename Park Avenue after former Liberal premier Robert Bourassa, but was forced to retreat after a groundswell of opposition.

This proposed change promises to be no different.

Comments on the Internet hint at the subject's sensitivity. One writer, Christian De Bellefeuille, says that if they're looking for a spot to honour Mr. Peterson, boosters should aim for Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, and leave Lionel Groulx alone.

"You want to honour Oscar Peterson's memory? Create a monument in his honour instead of trying to erase a name from history. Regardless of what Lionel Groulx might have done, (good or bad), it's part of our history," he wrote.

Yet supporters say rebaptizing the Métro station for Mr. Peterson would not only recognize the pianist, it would give long overdue recognition to the city's black community. None of Montreal's 68 Métro stops is named for minorities.

Lionel-Groulx station, a transfer hub used by 3.9 million passengers a year, is located a stone's throw from the Union United Church, the oldest black congregation in Quebec. The Peterson family used to attend the church, located in the borough of St. Henri; though Mr. Peterson left Montreal for Toronto in 1958, he says he never forgot his roots in Montreal.

"There's something sick about the fact that in one of the oldest historically black neighbourhoods in Canada, there's a subway station named after a terrible racist," Mr. Citrome said.

Montreal City Hall, stung by the uproar over the doomed Park Avenue change, now says it is striking a committee to study ways of paying homage to Mr. Peterson, and insists it doesn't want to rush.

"This man did a lot for our city, and we have to honour him in the most appropriate way," said Councillor Catherine Sévigny, responsible for culture in the mayor's office. "But do we have to un-name something to name it for someone else?"

Montreal's transit corporation has put a moratorium on name changes for its Métro stations, which are generally christened for a nearby street or landmark. Lionel-Groulx station got its tag when it opened in 1978 because Montreal had rebaptized an adjoining street for Abbé Groulx five years earlier, while the Métro stop was in the planning stages.

Meanwhile, a historian says Montreal should proceed with caution before removing Abbé Groulx from place names. For all his controversial views, the priest, who died in 1967, has a firm place among influential Quebec thinkers.

"Yes, there is a disagreeable underside to the man - the anti-Semitism, the fascist sympathies," said Jarrett Rudy, a Quebec historian and director of the Quebec Studies Program at McGill University. "But he also had a significance for a huge part of the population. I feel uncomfortable about erasing his impact from Quebec history."

Prof. Rudy came up with his own subway solution: Paying homage to both men with a joint, hyphenated name such as Station Oscar Peterson-Lionel Groulx. "We could enjoy the pleasure," he said, "of an interesting meeting of two important historical figures."

Quickly glimpsing, I thought that said *Chloe* Sévigny. Come to think of it, I'd love to see a Metro station named Chloe-Sévigny

Does Chloe Sevigny have any links to Montreal?

As the article points out, naming things is a politically sensitive topic in Quebec. I hope they find a way to honour Oscar Peterson, but I predict they won't touch the name of the metro station; it's just too much of a hot potato.

I'm not a big fan of erasing historic names for new ones. Indeed why not just create a small monument or name a new civic structure, library branch etc that does not yet have a name?

I think it would be sweet justice to rename this important station. Erase the name of a fascist anti-semite to celebrate a highly successful member of Montreal's under-recognised black community. I don't think it will happen but it would be great, especially given its proximity to Little Burgundy.

How could anyone, even a pure laine pequiste, be against this one? Apart from advocating a Socially-Darwinist theocratic state for Quebec, Lionel Groulx was also a revisionist historian and believed that children of mixed ethnicity were afflicted with cerebral disorders. And that's not even counting his Nazi sympathizing.

This would be like naming St. George station "Ernst Zundel".

Though there's this funny French-culture way of retaining "discredited" commemorations into perpetuity, i.e. historical distance trumps political correctness. Same reason Paris still has a Place de Stalingrad...

How could anyone, even a pure laine pequiste, be against this one? Apart from advocating a Socially-Darwinist theocratic state for Quebec, Lionel Groulx was also a revisionist historian and believed that children of mixed ethnicity were afflicted with cerebral disorders. And that's not even counting his Nazi sympathizing.

Quebeckers are just racist that's all. People like Lionel Groulx are heroes to them.

Though there's this funny French-culture way of retaining "discredited" commemorations into perpetuity, i.e. historical distance trumps political correctness. Same reason Paris still has a Place de Stalingrad...

But that's named after the battle of Stalingrad, not Joseph Stalin.

Quebeckers are just racist that's all. People like Lionel Groulx are heroes to them.

Not any more. Perhaps in the era of Duplessis, but since the Catholic Church means little to many Quebecers since the Quiet Revolution, more modern sepratists have become the heroes. For all of Rene Levesque's faults, he was not the racist facist that Abbé Lionel-Adolphe Groulx was. Levesque was ten times the man Groulx was. (Then again, I do not think it was entirely appropriate to rename Dorchester Blvd, named for the British Champion of the Quebec Act that accomodated Catholicism and the French Language, almost unheard of for British Colonial Rule in the 1770s, for Levesque).

How many Quebeckers under 30 know who Adam Dollard Des Ormeaux is (the revisionist hero trumped up by Groulx), anyway?

I'd support the renaming of the station for Peterson. Let some backwater like Hérouxville name something for Groulx instead.

Also, Doady, lay off the racist accusations. There's certainly racism in the rural areas of Quebec, like Hérouxville, (where ADQ and Conservative support harken back to the days of Duplessis), but Montreal is still one of the most cosmopolitan cities in North America. It's not as simple as you make it sound.

Although, so far as I know, Groulx didn't run someone down and drag them for blocks while driving drunk like Levesque did.

Not any more. Perhaps in the era of Duplessis, but since the Catholic Church means little to many Quebecers since the Quiet Revolution, more modern sepratists have become the heroes.

I have to disagree. Lionel Groulx remains a very significant figure in Quebec.

Groulx is lionized by modern nationalists as a founding father and Quebec's first historian. The public spectacle and closing of ranks against Esther Delisle's doctoral work attacking Groulx's racist strain and initiating the first real public conversation on it -- and that was outside of the current context -- are only one example of that.

Among the populist masses, the current ascendancy of the we-are-getting-drowned current of thought that brought the ADQ to official opposition, and made so much noise during the Bouchard-Taylor commission, ensures that that sentiment finds widespread echo.

I sympathize with the idea but, seriously, trying to erase the chanoine Groulx and spiritual father of modern Quebec from the metro at this time is like fuel on a fire. Sure, the Cegep Lionel-Groulx, Théâtre Lionel-Groulx, the charitable Fondation Lionel-Groulx, the countless streets named after him, and so on will all remain. Michael Citrome's proposal is not likely to be taken seriously and, if taken seriously, would be at least as controversial as the last time it was proposed that Lionel Groulx's name be taken off the metro station.

Back