News   May 03, 2024
 843     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 526     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 258     0 

Rem Koolhaas, the Irreverent – Neither Modernist nor Historicist

Thanks for these little blurbs Zephyr. I loved the one about Richard Meier and this latest one on Rem Koolhaas was fantastic.

Cheers!

Shades of Corbu and Alsop Near Paris - Plans

Initially the client wanted a type of house, maybe like Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye, only updated. This time he wanted more of a glass house, placed on land he owned just west of Paris in Saint-Cloud. He did not get the glass house from Rem Koolhaas, but there are shades of Le Corbusier, in my opinion, in the final design.

Another one of the client requests was for a pool on the roof - probably seeing this as an update to the Le Corbusier roof garden, but that is again speculation. On this score, Rem went a step further and created a bridge pool between two Parts of the house - a type of rooftop-pool bridge, as it were.

Instead of the perpendicular pilotis of Le Corbusier, Koolhaas used offset 'stilts' reminiscent of Will Alsop, in a few of his buildings.

villaDallAva.jpg

Courtesy Miles Sampson

Rem Koolhaas
Villa Dall'Ava
Saint-Cloud, France

twee0008.gif

© LAVA

dallavaplansee4.jpg
avacoupes2qn7.jpg

© Forum aRoots

.​

Last edited:
Shades of Corbu and Alsop Near Paris - Aerial and Ground Views

Rem Koolhaas
Villa Dall'Ava
Saint-Cloud, France

248301662_524122482c_o.jpg

297240019_bf6c3710e3_b.jpg

© Flickr / I have got the style

Last edited:
Shades of Corbu and Alsop Near Paris - Outside / Inside

Rem Koolhaas
Villa Dall'Ava
Saint-Cloud, France

stcloud1.jpg
stcloud2.jpg

© k+NAP / Peter Aaron

20000709mag-kool.8.jpg

©: New York Times Comany / Hans Werlemann - Hectic Pictures

Last edited:
CCTV - Introduction

In the English speaking world, CCTV usually is the acronym for 'Close Circuit Television': the method of choice for visual surveillance, with the unmanned cameras seen everyday in parking lots, shoppes, etc. If you are Chinese, a Sinophile, or even feel threatened by the current government in China (example India), international viewer of television, or just broadly informed, you might also know that CCTV can stand for 'Central China Television' – sometimes incorrectly labeled 'Communist China Television,' although not totally off-target.

In this thread, of course, CCTV will also refer to a building designed by Ole Scheeren and Rem Koolhaas, in which Central China Television will move when it is completed in Beijing. Many of OMA projects in which Koolhaas is involved, have been the result of international competitions, and so was this one. The goal – get this building up by 2008, just before the Olympic Games. It was mandated to be iconic, and if you look at it carefully, you will see, aside from Schereen’s contributions, echoes of many of Koolhaas’ past works: including the Seattle Public Library, and even a faint reminder of smaller fare such as the structural shaping of the Villa dall’Ava. In fact, I placed Villa project strategically before this one, in order to highlight that distant connection.

I must confess that when I first saw a rendering of CCTV, I did not know it was from Koolhaas, and my viewing was so casual I thought I was looking at the Arche de la Défense, or La Grande Arche in Paris. That arch, however, is an unoccupied square (correction - post #39) designed by Danish architect Johann Otto von Spreckelsen, and completed by Paul Andreu, somewhere around 1990. Koolhaas has created an office building and monument in one, and its shape is a great deal more complex than von Spreckelsen’s project.

This project is part of a larger complex for media that will be installed in this area. And if I may close with a kind of bookend – one of those other projects nearby will be TVCC. TVCC means 'Television Cultural Centre,' which will be a mixed-use facility, with a Media Museum and a five-star hotel.

Ole Scheeren and Rem Koolhaas
2002 - 2008
CCTV – TV Station and Headquarters
Beijing, China

CCTV Renderings

1179312170cctv2copiacopia.jpg

Courtesy ivive Q

1CentralBuildingDistrict.gif

©: OMA / Ole Scheeren and Rem Koolhaas

Last edited:
CCTV - Functional Areas

2002 - 2008
Beijing, China

slide3.jpg
arx2_ev_7_1.jpg

left - ©: Business Week / OMA / Ole Scheeren and Rem Koolhaas; right - ©: ARX / OMA

Last edited:
CCTV - Earliest Construction Images

2002 - 2008
Beijing, China

A Model of the Structural Frame on Site
(Next 2)

CCTV0000_s4pMXELPfgcq.jpg

RFNDTjMyNjawxg==_LFUSGM9GmGX7.jpg

Hoarding and Interesting Information on the
International Scope of the Project
(Next 2)

CCTV11111_Be3K6x8i082u.jpg

Q0NUVsKypLYxsA==_8qOhXGo38Qqp.jpg

At the Beginning of Construction
(Next 2)

2004 Cranes Positioned

RFNDTjMyNjmwxg==_pY1x3BYhR6OX.jpg

All the above, courtesy of SSC / General Huo (skyscrapers.cn / ccoo)

2004 The Installation of 'Rebar'

IMG_4906.jpg

Courtesy Metropolis / OMA

Last edited:
CCTV - Arup's Construction Mileposts compared to Latest Construction Images

2002 - 2008
Beijing, China

Arup Construction Mileposts
for CCTV Project's Exterior:

Phase 1 --> Phase 2
image3081.jpg
image3082.jpg

Phase 3 --> Phase 6
image3083.jpg
image3085.jpg
image3086.jpg
image3089.jpg

© Arup

Latest Posts - 29 December 2007 (Phase 5)

resizeofcimg2650cu0.jpg

resizeofcimg2655lb0.jpg

resizeofcimg2660wl1.jpg

rotationofresizeofcimg2xk0.jpg

resizeofcimg2662nd6.jpg

Courtesy SSC - Beijing CCTV Headquarters Under Construction / big-dog

Last edited:
CCTV - OMA's Construction Viewing in 3D

The following is a spectacular 3D interactive view of the building during construction:

[*]Select the link below (and wait until the panoramic image loads)

[*] Move mouse over image

[*] Press the appropriate button or just the mouse if it is Apple/Mac/PowerMac and in each case continue to press down while viewing

[*] Move mouse to see down, left, right and up. Stop and release to view in one location.

[*] When finished, delete the link to return to thread.

.​

Last edited:
/\ That is unreal!

Its amazing to see a building from the opposite perspective that one is used to. This will be stunning when completed. Oh Hell, its stunning now!

CCTV - Ole Sheeren Partner-In-Charge

Ole Scheeren via OMA

Ole Scheeren is Partner of the Office for Metropolitan Architecture and heads the Beijing office. As partner-in-charge of OMA’s most ambitious project to date, he leads the design and construction of the China Central Television Station CCTV and the Television Cultural Center TVCC in Beijing. Ole Scheeren is responsible for OMA’s work throughout Asia, including the Singapore Scotts Tower and the forthcoming Prada Epicenter in Shanghai. Since 1999 he has directed OMA’s work for Prada and completed the Prada Epicenters in Los Angeles and New York. He has led numerous other projects, including the Los Angeles Country Museum of Art LACMA.

- OMA website

Ole Scheeren via FMCS and Himself

ole15.jpg

© FMCS

Ole Scheeren is not just another young European architect exploring China’s Capital…

As partner-in-charge of OMA’s most ambitious project to date, he is the architect leading the design and construction of the China Central Television Station (CCTV), and the Television Cultural Center TVCC in Beijing.

A Lian from FMCS met him for an intensive talk to find out more about life in China, his passionate ideas and architecture in general.

FMCS (FeedMeCoolShit): Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your work.

I joined Rem Koolhaas and OMA in 1995, and became Partner in 2002. Since 1999 I was leading the projects for Prada, and completed the epicenter stores in New York and Los Angeles.

Now, I am responsible for OMA’s work throughout Asia, with several projects in China and Singapore.

After starting to work in Germany, I was later working on a series of projects through my own studio in the United Kingdom.

Beyond the domains of architecture I collaborated with the graphic designers 2x4, in New York; and I was engaged in a range of art projects and exhibitions, such as Cities on the Move in London and Bangkok, Media City Seoul and the Rotterdam Film Festival.

SOURCE

Last edited:
CCTV - Interiors (the non-Woody-Allen version)

There are few interior renderings of CCTV, you are more likely to see building schematics by function (see earlier posts). Below are what I found, or at least could use (I was denied a perfunctory request to post two images from an Intranet site). I will add as they become available (if you have any of interest, please post):

2002 - 2008
Beijing, China

Interior Renderings

6.jpg

(Right - The so-called CCTV 'Overhang')

12.jpg
6CCTV.Overhang.gif

All photos above ©: CCTV.com

Last edited:

Back