News   May 29, 2024
 1.1K     6 
News   May 29, 2024
 2.5K     7 
News   May 29, 2024
 553     0 

Regent Park

Methadone clinic

This has been mentioned in the Cabbagetown thread, but I'm sure it's of interest to Regent Park residents too.

A methadone clinic has almost slipped its way into the former "Stoopy's Tavern" at Dundas and Ontario. There is a community meeting tomorrow to rally support against the clinic (which would be the 5th in the area).
The particular chain of clinics has been the subject of police investigations in Hamilton and St. Catherines.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/5313-Cabbagetown?p=564714#post564714

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...tion-has-it-created-an-us-versus-them-dynamic

Among the comments we heard from youth toward their new, higher-income neighbours:

• “They look at us as if we’re animals.”

• “There’s a division there, like there’s a clear division in terms of us and them.”

• “Do I like them? . . . That’s a good question. I have no clue. I haven’t seen them. They run to work in the morning and they come back at night. They live different lives.”
G'ah I hate articles like this. First of all, they give no evidence that violence in Regent Park has increased since the re-development. Nor do they consider the pros and cons of any alternatives to re-development that could have addressed their concerns; i.e. just leaving Regent Park as it was.

Lastly, the above quote is ridiculous, most employed people in this city runs to work in the morning and comes back at night - it's called working for a living and the article suggests that this is somehow foreign to RP's residents.

The official opening is today. The price of admission: $5.50 for families; $3 per adult; free to those who qualify for social assistance, in accordance with the City of Toronto’s welcome policy.

City Councillors Paul Ainslie and Pam McConnell were expected to be on hand for the opening.

Environment Minister Peter Kent was also expected to join them, along with many members of the community, for the 1 p.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Has anyone else noticed a major increase in demand for the 505? There are a lot of transit users in these new towers. With service running normally, there can be a dozen people waiting to board at Sackville and Parliament for the 8-9 period. When service isn't properly spaced I have seen crowd of more than 20 waiting. It doesn't help that the concept of removing your giant oversized backpack is beyond the ability of Ryerson students to understand.

Edit: I have a fear that "new streetcars are coming" is going to become a stock answer at the TTC for all service problems, even though they are years away.

Last edited:
It seems the plans for Regent Park are changing.

More social housing, more density, and swapping two Parkettes for a larger park.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/regentpark.htm

Increase from 5,400 to 7,500 social and market housing units at the completion of all phases
Increase the projected population from 12,500 to approximately 17,000 at the completion of all phases
Removal of two small parkettes but the creation of new larger park/sports field and adjustment to permitted land use designations, blocks and streets proposed to reflect reconfigurations of park spaces
Addition of commercial parking garage as a permitted use
Demolition of heritage listed 14 Blevins building and proposal for a 60m tower on this block
Increase of building heights in some locations including but not limited to:
Two additional 88m towers on Dundas St E (Phase 3)
One new 120m tower on Parliament Street (Phase 4)
Sites on north side of central park and site on River Street – currently permitted at 22m & 30m, proposed increase to 50m

Last edited:
It seems the plans for Regent Park are changing.

More social housing, more density, and swapping two Parkettes for a larger park.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/regentpark.htm

Increase from 5,400 to 7,500 social and market housing units at the completion of all phases
Increase the projected population from 12,500 to approximately 17,000 at the completion of all phases
Removal of two small parkettes but the creation of new larger park/sports field and adjustment to permitted land use designations, blocks and streets proposed to reflect reconfigurations of park spaces
Addition of commercial parking garage as a permitted use
Demolition of heritage listed 14 Blevins building and proposal for a 60m tower on this block
Increase of building heights in some locations including but not limited to:
Two additional 88m towers on Dundas St E (Phase 3)
One new 120m tower on Parliament Street (Phase 4)
Sites on north side of central park and site on River Street – currently permitted at 22m & 30m, proposed increase to 50m

I saw the sign for this on Parliament, but I think this is just explainnig the total changes from the original plan, and not a revision.

What will be happening at the location of the existing Community Centre once the new Community centre is opened?

Based on the most current public phasing plan the community centre will be replaced by a 38m (~12 storey) building. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be TCH housing or condos. The most current detailed documents are at http://www.toronto.ca/planning/regentpark.htm as part of the phase 3-5 official plan and zoning by-law review process.

Back