1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Recreational biking

Memph

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey UrbanToronto,

I like to go on long bike rides (100km+) and was thinking of going on one to Toronto.

I've already biked to Toronto a few times, usually taking the waterfront trail (starting from my home in SE Oakville). I've taken the Martin Goodman trail to visit places like Tommy Thompson, High Park and Ashbridges Beach. I once came back via Queen-Dundas-Bloor. I've also been up the Humber River up to Steeles (East branch).

I was thinking of taking the GO train to downtown Toronto for my next ride so that more of the city could be within reach. Aside from the biking mentioned above and driving around on highways, I've only explored Toronto by foot, so I've only seen the downtown core and one time I took a walk up Yonge to York Mills and part of the way back from Y&E to the ROM.

I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to see the parts of Toronto I haven't visited yet. I would rather not bike on busy streets too much if they don't have wide bike lanes. As for off-road trails, paved trails are preferable but I can go on packed dirt and gravel too.

I was thinking of maybe going from Union Station (or Exhibition) roughly following Garrison Creek to the rail trail around Eglinton, up to the Don Valley, and then heading East to check out the Scarborough Bluffs and Rouge Valley. Basically, there is nowhere in the GTA that is too far, as long as there are nice trails or things to see along the way.

Mods feel free to move this to a more appropriate subforum.

Riding up the west side of Don River is great too. Around St. Clair the paths begin to split (I can't remember exactly where, it's been years since I cycled there) but I understand you can cycle up quite far although I've never gone past that point myself. It's mostly all paved cycling trails but beware of sharp turns and tunnels as bladers use the trails too and collisions aren't fun for anybody.

Back