News   Jul 15, 2024
 447     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 571     0 

Recent pic of Burj Dubai...

Very impressive tower... but what a strange looking city. Is there any urban presence there?

As far as I know about 90% of it is newly built. It is baffling where they are getting all the people and businesses to fill these places. No doubt the scale of the building is overwhelming, but it loses in my mind on the Disney factor. Give me a well established, historical, east coast North American city any day. Its the grit and the randomness that creates true urbanity...

DreamWorks to build theme park in Dubai

Jan 20 02:44 PM US/Eastern

DreamWorks, the US studio behind the hit box-office animated movie "Shrek", is to build a theme park in the booming Gulf emirate of Dubai.
The studio has signed an agreement with Tatweer, a subsidiary of state-owned investment firm Dubai Holding, to develop the project which includes restaurants, hotels and retail outlets, the Khaleej Times newspaper reported on Sunday.

The Western-oriented emirate of Dubai, one of seven that make up the United Arab Emirates, is a leisure hub in the oil-rich Gulf and draws millions of visitors every year.

Under a deal concluded last September, Warner Brothers will also set up a theme park in the UAE capital, Abu Dhabi.

A hotel, several multiplex cinemas and a joint film and computer game development fund will also be created as part of the deal between Warner Brothers, the Abu Dhabi Media Company and real estate developers ALDAR.

The shooting arcade should be popular with locals and tourists alike.

I wonder how large residential units in all of these towers are...500 sq.ft units vs 1500 sq.ft units makes a massive difference in the residential capacity under construction and could be the difference between appropriate levels of construction and specuvestmental absurdity. Some towers, of course, could be for hotels and foreign workers, but since they're intent on turning Dubai into a luxurious playground, are the apartment/condo units themselves luxurious?

Dubai is ludicrous.

I don't understand why the world is gaga about property investment in a gulf state that is building projects that are reliant on a rapidly dwindling resource. Having people fly halfway across the world to stay in an air conditioned super hotel and buy imported Louis Vuitton bags seems like a very tenuous way to sustain an economy in a peak oil world. Add to the fact that this city sits right smack dab in the most volatile region of the world and you have a recipe for disaster.

It's also galling that people are willing to overlook the fact that all of this glitz was built with the modern-day equivalent of slavery.

Dubai is positioning itself as the financial, business and tourism centre of the entire middle east. It is doing this to avoid what will happen when oil declines in importance. Smart move if you ask me. And with the amount of money they already have this place will survive for a long time.

Some more interesting stuff coming out of the desert....

Abu Dhabi unveils carbon-neutral city
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 22, 2008
CBC News
Oil-rich emirate Abu Dhabi has unveiled its plans for a car-less, zero-carbon, zero-waste city in the desert.

A model of Masdar City was formally unveiled at the World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi on Monday. The city, designed by British architect Norman Foster, is designed to house 1,500 businesses and 50,000 people.

The location of the six-square-kilometre site, close to Abu Dhabi's airport, is a harsh environment, with no access to fresh water and temperatures that reach 50 C in the summer. But the project's sponsors, who include the World Wildlife Federation, said the project would incorporate a mix of current technology and ancient methods to beat the heat.

Masdar City's electricity will be generated by solar panels, with solar power driving the city's cooling systems and a desalination plant needed to produce fresh water. The city's layout will also create micro-climates, or zones of different temperatures, to encourage air circulation.

Masdar City has also been designed to be car-free, with public transportation — through a light railway and personalized rapid transport pods — never more than 200 metres away, according to architecture firm Foster + Partners.

Landscaping in the city and in the surrounding area will be irrigated with recycled and treated waste water.

"Masdar is an example of the paradigm shift that is needed and the strategic vision of the Abu Dhabi government is a case study in global leadership," Jean-Paul Jeanrenaud, director of WWF International’s One Planet Living initiative, said in a statement.

"We hope that Masdar City will prove that sustainable living can be affordable and attractive in all aspects of human living — from businesses and manufacturing facilities to universities and private homes," he said.

The crown prince of Abu Dhabi, capital of the seven-member United Arab Emirates federation, said Monday that ground would be broken on the project later this year. The cost of the project was not revealed.

The city plans were part of Abu Dhabi's larger strategy to embrace green technologies and change the perception of Abu Dhabi, home to most of the United Arab Emirates oil reserves.

Crown Prince General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan said on Monday his emirate would make an initial investment of $15 billion US in projects targeting solar, wind and hydrogen power, carbon reduction and management and sustainable development.

The UAE produced 149 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions in 2004, or 34.1 tonnes per person, according to a 2007 UN Development Program report. The per capita rate is the third highest in the world after Qatar and Kuwait.

Dubai is positioning itself as the financial, business and tourism centre of the entire middle east. It is doing this to avoid what will happen when oil declines in importance. Smart move if you ask me. And with the amount of money they already have this place will survive for a long time.

Yeah, but what happens to the financial, business, and tourist economies when the oil runs out?

Yeah, but what happens to the financial, business, and tourist economies when the oil runs out?

Sure, there is quite likely to be turbulence, but what choice do they have other than to attempt to diversify? Overall, over-the-top excesses aside, it seems like a fairly sensible strategy for a small but super-wealthy Gulf state.

Your rhetorical question could be used to argue against building anything, anywhere, at this point.

Having people fly halfway across the world to stay in an air conditioned super hotel and buy imported Louis Vuitton bags seems like a very tenuous way to sustain an economy in a peak oil world. Add to the fact that this city sits right smack dab in the most volatile region of the world and you have a recipe for disaster.

Oh c'mon, it's fabulous! Besides, if you don't go now, you'll be missing out on one of those crazy early 21st-century phenomenons... kinda like Facebook! Besides, when you're an old geezer, won't it be better to have participated in such a ridiculous adventure back in the day of gluttony than say "too bad I never partook in the orgy of decadence" when it's all over? I've got my ticket booked for March!

Sure, there is quite likely to be turbulence, but what choice do they have other than to attempt to diversify? Overall, over-the-top excesses aside, it seems like a fairly sensible strategy for a small but super-wealthy Gulf state.

Your rhetorical question could be used to argue against building anything, anywhere, at this point.

Uh, no. I'm arguing against building stuff like indoor ski slopes in the desert to attract massive international tourism as a means to safeguard the Dubaian economy against running out of oil. But maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see the logic in this shift.

well, I concur with your skepticism... but the point remains that this is the path they have chosen to take. Diversification and a progressive approach may well be better than standing around doing nothing. To be honest though, I hate the way humans always have to make artificial versions of things... you'll never catch me in Las Vegas, Disneyland or Dubai for that reason.

Getting back to your point, it does tend to imply the need for a strategy for alternative fuels. There is no point in building the worlds largest airport if there is no fuel to fly them... there is a school of thought that primitive countries will experience much less impact if the oil economy evapourates. The real question is the timing - will we see these issues play out in our lifetimes?

Back