News   Jul 11, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2K     1 

Rail: Ontario-Quebec High Speed Rail Study

Haha...that's hilarious. The sad thing is they're even slower than in the 70s. I remember the 3h59m schedules on the Metropolis from Toronto to Montreal. They stretched those out five or six years ago, I think.

Haha...that's hilarious. The sad thing is they're even slower than in the 70s. I remember the 3h59m schedules on the Metropolis from Toronto to Montreal. They stretched those out five or six years ago, I think.

The 3:59 timetable was introduced in October 1992, and it lasted until 2005 IIRC. Even the much-vaunted Turbo couldn't beat 4:30, which is not far off of what we have now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The 3:59 timetable was introduced in October 1992, and it lasted until 2005 IIRC. Even the much-vaunted Turbo couldn't beat 4:30, which is not far off of what we have now.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I was sure that the Turbo matched that time, and I was also going by Wikipedia but obviously that's not always the most accurate source! Here's what I read:

The three rebuilt 9-car sets entered service for CN in late 1973. CN ran the Turbos from Toronto-Montreal-Toronto with stops at Dorval, Quebec, Kingston, Ontario and Guildwood, Ontario on the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor. Original train numbers were Train 62 which left Toronto at 12:45 p.m. and arrived in Montreal at 4:44 p.m. Train 63 left Montreal at 12:45 p.m. and arrived in Toronto at 4:44 p.m. (Both were daily trains.) Train 68 left Toronto at 6:10 p.m. and arrived in Montreal at 10:14 p.m., while Train 69 left Montreal at 6:10 p.m. and arrived in Toronto at 10:14 p.m. (The evening trains did not run on Saturdays.) The trip took 3 hours and 59 minutes downtown-to-downtown on trains 62 and 63, while the evening trains were slightly slower, taking four hours and four minutes to complete the run. Turbo service was about a full hour faster than CN's previous express trains, the "Rapido".

Anyway, I wonder what happened. What did they do in the early 90s that got the times down, and why couldn't they sustain it?

Interesting. I didn't know that. I was sure that the Turbo matched that time, and I was also going by Wikipedia but obviously that's not always the most accurate source! Here's what I read:

Anyway, I wonder what happened. What did they do in the early 90s that got the times down, and why couldn't they sustain it?

I'm going from the published schedules. CN did want to get the Turbo's trip times down to 4 hours (and even advertised them as such before the train entered service) but were never able to do it.

As for the 3:59 schedules, it was a combination of faster units - the LRCs - and a lot of trackwork and corridor improvements by CN. A lot of the extra track put in at the time was removed by CN over the past 20 years, which is why they are (again) putting in new sections of additional mainline to try and build a bit more capacity into the system. They are also fixing up a lot of track that they have allowed to turn to shit over the past number of years. Parts of the Kingston Subdivision are so bad, in fact, that the 900-series P42s are limited to 90mph on it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Opportunity Cost of Inaction PDF: http://www.apta.com/resources/reportsandpublications/Documents/HPPR-Cost-of-Inaction.pdf

Summary

Studies by the Government Accountability Office (GAO), the European Union (EU), the International Union of Railroads (UIC), the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and others, suggest that the actual cost of building and/or improving rail lines is significantly less than the cost per mile of alternatives.

In fact, in many corridors, passenger rail is the only feasible option for adding capacity, given the practical constraints facing aviation and highway expansion.

Passenger rail will benefit public transportation—regional HPPR networks will amplify the agglomeration economies associated with public transportation. Though not specifically enumerated in this paper, we anticipate these impacts will significantly increase net benefits.

The regional opportunity costs are also substantial. Not building HSR in California would cost the state $8.2 billion in foregone benefits over 40 years. The Midwest would forego $11.7 billion over 40 years. The Northeast Corridor would forego $5.5 billion over 40 years. The Pacific Northwest would forego $1.1 billion over 40 years.

This report provides clear evidence that maintaining the status quo will be an increasingly expensive proposition for American taxpayers.

Making a case for high-speed rail

Canada remains the sole G8 country without an example of this super fast and super efficient means of transportation.

“There was a time when we led the world in developing long distance train travel,” Langan said. “This nation could boast some of the most advanced train systems anywhere and there is no reason we cannot do that again.

“All we need is some political will and we can match what Japan has been doing for 50 years at least with its Bullet Train.

“Europe has been doing it almost as long with its vast network of fast electric trains like the TGV and the Eurostar. Spain is joining that list as well as countries as far apart as China and Mexico.

“It’s not as if we lack the capital — it’s just the imagination
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/03/making-a-case-for-high-speed-rail

Making a case for high-speed rail

Canada remains the sole G8 country without an example of this super fast and super efficient means of transportation.

Stupid question, where is the high-speed rail in the United States?

I've taken the Boston to Washington trips via New York and it didn't seem any faster than VIA Corridor trains.

Perhaps it's the NY to Philadelphia leg?

I realize NEC, if funded, would be a quite fast but I'm not certain where in the United States trains run over 90mph today.

Given Canada's low population density, it's not surprising we don't have a high-speed passenger rail network to match Japan or France. We look a lot more like Australia than Europe or California, and last time I checked, there's no bullet train between Melbourne or Sydney. The negative externalities associated with congestion make subsidizing public transit in urban areas a good idea. But why should we use scarce resources to subsidize inter-city passenger rail travel?

Back