News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

Isn't DRL running under Queen? (I find it weird)
If so, that'll hardly do anything to relieve union as most of the traffic flows in through further south.

Some initial interesting bits. These are quoted directly from the staff report, so take some of the more opinionated ones them at face value:
  • ...relatively low levels of parkland provision currently experienced in Downtown Toronto: 3.73 m2 per resident/employee in the Downtown Study Area and 2.83 m2 for the Local Study Area, compared to 18.3 m2 city-wide
  • ...analysis confirms there are a very limited number of undeveloped sites within the Downtown Study Area. The majority of these sites are located along and adjacent to the rail corridor and the waterfront, in the southernmost portion of the Downtown Study Area.
  • The draft OPA and Rail Deck Park Secondary Plan applies to the area in and around the rail corridor extending from Bathurst Street to Blue Jays Way, as shown in Figure 3. This area, (referred to as the Site) includes Northern Linear Park, the planned Mouth of the Creek Park, and a 4 metre (14 ft) strip directly north of the rail corridor that abuts Front Street West. The Metrolinx-owned property at the corner of Spadina Avenue and Front Street West is not included. In total, the Site is approximately 8.8 ha (21.7 acres).
  • upload_2017-11-6_12-16-24.png

• The air-rights above the rail corridor, extend 8.2m (27 ft) metres from the top-of-rail, are primarily controlled by CN and Toronto Terminal Railway (TTR).
  • The City owns the air-rights within the rail corridor above the pedestrian bridge [Puente de Luz].
  • The majority of the Site is designated as a Utility Corridor, except Northern Linear Park which is designated as Parks, and Mouth of the Creek Park, which is designated as Mixed Used Areas
  • The majority of the proposed Rail Deck Park within the Railway Lands West Secondary Plan is designated Utility Corridors, which functions as a rail corridor and is considered a "Future Development Area" (see Railway Lands Central Secondary Plan Map 18-3: Land Use Plan and Railway Lands West Secondary Plan Map 19-3: Land Use Plan in Appendix 4). Future considerations for overbuilding of the Future Development Area requires comprehensive study subject to a number of conditions including a comprehensive evaluation of land uses and technical considerations to address safety and rail coordination, among other matters.
  • The portion of the Site within the rail corridor is zoned Transportation District (T) in By-laws 1994-0805 and 1994-0806 (see Appendix 4). In both Zoning By-laws, the T zone permits a range of transportation related uses including railway uses, repair yards, pedestrian walkways, and parking structures, with a maximum height of 15 metres. Each Zoning By-law also includes an exemption to permit the use of any land or the erection or use of any building or structure in any District for the purpose of public service by the City.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_12-16-24.png
    upload_2017-11-6_12-16-24.png
    449.5 KB · Views: 463
They should at least connect Portland Street to Dan Leckie way with a direct cycle path (get rid of the bridge). Both Spadina and Bathurst is all suburban highway traffic and cycling to waterfront is too stressful.

They should put their money where there mouth is. Is Rogers interested in helping foot the bill?

Actually, it's probably better I dont ask since they would introduce a new "City Improvement Fee" to all cell phone, internet, and phone bills.

I don't actually mind the idea of Rogers raising taxes since our conservative city hall politicians too worried about getting reelected won't.

I don't actually mind the idea of Rogers raising taxes since our conservative city hall politicians too worried about getting reelected won't.
Rogers and their shareholders might not enjoy becoming a defacto tax collector......especially as their two main competitors would not have to collect such taxes via their customers' bills

More of it'll be called Rogers Park. :( Which, now that I think about it, is not as bad as them renaming Skydome.

They should put their money where there mouth is. Is Rogers interested in helping foot the bill?

Amen to that. The Blue Jays are single-handedly responsible for ruining accessibly in this area so if they support Rail Deck Park, they should chip in to Fort York Blvd/Spadina Ave/Dan Leckie Way improvements to help alleviate the traffic nightmare they create whenever there is a Jays game.

Forward thinking or not, I am just glad the Rail Deck Park has an important stakeholder like the Blue Jays behind them.

Now, Rogers and Bell have no problem raising fees for their services. Maybe we shouldn't dismiss this idea of having them be our tax collectors in lieu of Council so hastily. :p

Amen to that. The Blue Jays are single-handedly responsible for ruining accessibly in this area so if they support Rail Deck Park, they should chip in to Fort York Blvd/Spadina Ave/Dan Leckie Way improvements to help alleviate the traffic nightmare they create whenever there is a Jays game.

I'm not sure how the Jays have "single-handedly ruined accessibility" in this area, but I am sure that they've donated literally millions of dollars and countless hours of their employees' time to charitable endeavours across the city.

I'm not sure how the Jays have "single-handedly ruined accessibility" in this area, but I am sure that they've donated literally millions of dollars and countless hours of their employees' time to charitable endeavours across the city.

Not to mention the fact that they were there long before the condos.

The vehicular traffic from cars entering and exiting the Rogers Centre area whenever there is a game makes this area gridlocked for hours. Just try to get in or out of the area at 1 pm on a summer Saturday when there is a game.

As for their charitable activities, good for them but that’s irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Do the Blue Jays pay some kind of fee to the city to alleviate the vehicular traffic nightmare they cause? Perhaps one should be levied and used to rebuild area roads and/or Rail Deck Park. I would recommend improvements to Bremner/Fort York, an extension of Dan Leckie Way over the rail corridor/under Rail Deck Park, rebuilding the Spadina/Lakeshore/Gardiner infarction, and constructing a pedestrian bridge across Spadina, for starters.

Back