News   Aug 08, 2024
 131     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 643     1 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 438     0 

Question for those who know computers.

So we went out and bought the computer. We went with the computer from Future Shop. I think she's happy with the choice, so that's all that matters really.

One problem. The tower is tiny and will not fit a second hard drive, so now I'm going to need to figure out a way to take her old hard drive and move her files to her new computer.

Does anyone have any cheap ideas? I could get an external hard drive case and put the hard drive in there, but I don't really know much about that. Is that an easy solution?

You'll want an external hard drive enclosure. Here's one from futureshop: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10109043&catid=25609

$40 - easy to install.

An enclosure for your old hard drive is the simplest route for you to recover the old files but make sure you have the right type of enclosure interface. As other noted above your old HDD likely has a IDE interface and most enclosures like the one linked above are SATA. Check what interface you have on the old HDD and make sure you have the right enclosure.

already bought everything, it's set up, files have been transferred and all is well. It's been a bit of adjustment getting used to Vista, but everything else was easy.

Thanks all for the help.

already bought everything, it's set up, files have been transferred and all is well. It's been a bit of adjustment getting used to Vista, but everything else was easy.

Thanks all for the help.

Make sure you have downloaded all of the Vista Updates through Windows or Microsoft update. Windows Vista Service Pack #2 was released about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it fixes lots of small problems so be sure you have that installed too.

Back