2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     5 

Question for New York/Harlem experts

G

ganjavih

Anyone know about the neighbourhood this hotel is in? Is it safe? Especially after dark?

Apollo Inn
2027 Adam Clayton Boulevard
New York, NY 10027
USA

Google map

Sure - you'll be OK, no worries. As always, keep your wits about you at like 4am or something, but otherwise it's no problem. My ex and I lived kinda nearby in East Harlem and in Washington Heights for over a year and never had any trouble. Manhattan is now pretty much safe all over - it's mostly some parts of the other boroughs that can still be dodgy.

The area around Columbia is lovely, and if you've never checked out the northern end of Central Park, make sure to do so - wonderful! Some fun 'soul food' joints on 125th, too.

it's right south of harlem's main street (125th/MLK Jr. Blvd). i've been there a few times in the evening, but never very late. i have friends on 117th st. and they've had no problems. like above, all of manhattan is basically safe. especially with the gentrification (be sure to visit the gap on 125th).

i also have friends at city college on 138th and convent ave. that whole area of hamilton heights has some of the most beautiful brownstones around. though it's mostly residential, it's a great stroll.

Me too!

Interesting choice of location. It's perfect if you're coming in from LGA, as the M60 runs down 125th and through Columbia and past the Seinfeld diner to the 1/9. Was it the price, or wanting a different experience, or both?

I think the fact that there's advertised accomodation in Harlem *at all* these days is telling you something--a quarter century ago, the very idea would have been daft. Heck, a quarter century ago even the heart of Midtown Manhattan might have been dicier than 125th/MLK is today...

Back