News   Jul 22, 2024
 270     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 547     0 

Queen West's Ultra new `it' spot

Women: can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.

Good thing this place is a total sausage factory or else this thread could get awfully hot real quick.

Then you're lucky. More power to you, then. Just don't dismiss as "ridiculous" an assessment borne of ten years-plus of various relationships with various types of women in numerous areas (school, work, etc.). All I'm saying is that far too often the ones I've come across are either self-absorbed, career-obsessed and looking for someone to give them a leg up, or they're neurotic and have more baggage than a Hermes shop. They're the kind who whine to me about how badly men treat them but then won't return my calls when I ask them out for a lousy cup of coffee. They're pathetic. Plus, in Toronto, I find most women are extremely cliquish, in that they will not date anyone outside a narrow socio-economic spectrum. Same jobs, same friends, same class: unless you satisfy that criteria, they are very timid and have limited horizons in that regard. They're almost tribal in their dating patterns and many will not take a chance at someone they can't pin down based on past experience. In other words, Toronto women are very myopic socially. I don't fall into any identifiable group, either by social circle, ethnicity, or income (i.e low). And so most university-educated, middle to upper-middle class women always date up or at their level, not down. And that's something I've had to deal with. And so all this attention paid to shitholes like that place on Queen just reinforce the cycle. More lies, more empty appearances. Add the fact that it gets worse as you get older (29) because around 26-27 I find that a lot of women either resign themselves to their career to the exclusion of everything else, or have a need to pair up with somebody, the more money the better. So when I meet someone who says, well, what you do for a living doesn't matter to me, excuse me if I take it with a boulder of salt. I just don't believe what they say anymore because by their actions I know they don't really mean what they say. And this has happened to me time and time again.

So hey, if the chicks dig you, great. Some of us haven't had it as good, and either you try even harder or you decide to walk away from the whole mess for awhile. For now, I've just decided to focus my energies elsewhere, and I don't buy into the lies that are put out there.

****, too much information for a Sunday morning.

" And so most university-educated, middle to upper-middle class women always date up or at their level, not down. And that's something I've had to deal with."

So you're only looking for middle to upper-middle class women?? Sounds like you have as many superficial standards as the women you claim to despise. Perhaps you should drop the classifications and just look at people for what they are instead of dimissing all women as materialistic and narrow minded.

Wow, some of you guys have it really good and don't realize it, or some of you have forgotten what being single is like. Either that or you live in a dream world.

Let me ask you this: ask your average middle-class female who's a professional whether they would date someone who makes less money than they do. Anyone who says that money doesn't matter can't be trusted. Who do female doctors, lawyers, media people, professionals etc. generally go out with? Men in their profession, at least. Or at least someone with similar income and background. That's all I'm saying. Expecting that isn't shallow and materialistic, it's realistic. This may come as a shock to some of you but women are often capable of being coldly calculating when it comes to who they choose to go out with. I know firsthand. Now, whether that's bad luck or what I don't know. But again, I've seen this time and again where a girl who I know was interested will hook up with someone more established and successful instead. Or get dumped for it, as happened to friends of mine. It happens, a lot.

It's funny that this only became a problem when I hit my mid-late 20s. It wasn't an issue when we were all carefree undergrads. It didn't matter then, but now? Different story. Too many Sex in the City episodes perhaps. But that's a fact. So really, what's the problem? I don't have unrealistic expectations of anyone. I'm university educated, so it stands to reason I would like to date someone with an education higher than grade 12. What the hell's wrong with that? Could you honestly ask the same of a university-educated woman without being laughed in the face? You're telling me that a woman with a BA would go out with a garbageman, or a plumber or a truck driver? We know the answer to that. So why the double-standard?

"Perhaps you should drop the classifications and just look at people for what they are" :rollin

Right, and when women stop doing the same to me then I'll get back to you. Like I said, some of you don't realize how good you have it.

I just can't stand the attitude of so many women in this city
With all due respect Fiendish, you've said the following about women over the last few days on this Forum...

1. The woman who was postering in your neighbourhood was referred to as a "bitch" even though she was doing something that is quite legal. Sure you can disagree with her about the postering issue, but calling her a "bitch" is not the way to do it.

2. You referred to all the females leaving the G-Spot nightclub as "bimbos."

3. Despite what must have been a terrifying moment for all those female -- and male -- club-goers at the G-Spot, you said "let the bullets fly." Why? Because it was mostly women you saw running out of the club terrified?

4. Every response you've made has referred to Toronto women as "calculating" and "cold."

Now it really sucks that you haven't had much luck with woman in this city. And I wish you better luck, but you truly aren't doing yourself any favours with the 52 Inc. of society if you continue to hold these sorts of attitudes.

Show a little respect and you may just get some back.

Wow, some of you guys have it really good and don't realize it, or some of you have forgotten what being single is like. Either that or you live in a dream world.

Let me ask you this: ask your average middle-class female who's a professional whether they would date someone who makes less money than they do. Anyone who says that money doesn't matter can't be trusted. Who do female doctors, lawyers, media people, professionals etc. generally go out with? Men in their profession, at least. Or at least someone with similar income and background. That's all I'm saying. Expecting that isn't shallow and materialistic, it's realistic. This may come as a shock to some of you but women are often capable of being coldly calculating when it comes to who they choose to go out with. I know firsthand. Now, whether that's bad luck or what I don't know. But again, I've seen this time and again where a girl who I know was interested will hook up with someone more established and successful instead. Or get dumped for it, as happened to friends of mine. It happens, a lot.

It's funny that this only became a problem when I hit my mid-late 20s. It wasn't an issue when we were all carefree undergrads. It didn't matter then, but now? Different story. Too many Sex in the City episodes perhaps. But that's a fact. So really, what's the problem? I don't have unrealistic expectations of anyone. I'm university educated, so it stands to reason I would like to date someone with an education higher than grade 12. What the hell's wrong with that? Could you honestly ask the same of a university-educated woman without being laughed in the face? You're telling me that a woman with a BA would go out with a garbageman, or a plumber or a truck driver? We know the answer to that. So why the double-standard?

"Perhaps you should drop the classifications and just look at people for what they are"

Right, and when women stop doing the same to me then I'll get back to you. Like I said, some of you don't realize how good you have it.

What are you complaining about then?? You say it's totally expected that these women would want to go out with other professionals, but then complain that they won't go out with you. You make it sound like every woman is either a university educated professional or just an unsophisticated moron with a grade 12 education. This isn't the case.

Now, Im not saying their aren't many superficial women out there - there are. But not all of them are like that. You basically dismiss any well dressed woman at a club as a bimbo and anyone who's a professional and doesn't want to date you a money grubbing whore.

"You're telling me that a woman with a BA would go out with a garbageman, or a plumber or a truck driver? We know the answer to that. So why the double-standard? "

Yes. That's what Im telling you. You're mindset is far to limited and negative.

I completely agree with everything Darkstar said.

Me too...perhaps the problem isn't entirely with these 'bitchy' women as you would like to believe, but with your own attitude...? I've got to say, if I was a girl looking for a date, your self-indulgent whiny rants wouldn't appeal to me.

Must be nice to live in your world guys, really nice. I just view women with more a jaundiced eye, that's all. I have great female friends, but when it comes to the mating game, I've seen an uglier side of them, very ugly(although I got a nice e-mail from my ex today. Figure that one out). I think some of you mistakenly put women on a pedestal, or think they're somehow above acting selfishly and venally. They aren't. I don't buy it. Like I said, this city brings out the worst in a lot of people, women included. This isn't whining or self-indulgent. Why you think it is is beyond me. Are all of you always so dismissive of experiences that don't exactly match your own?

And by the way Darkstar, I said that postering girl was a bitch because she told me to **** off after (you know, one event following another) I told her postering in the neighbourhood wasn't the best idea. Read my post again. If it was a guy I would have said he was an asshole. What's good for the goose, etc. I admit, I am not as magnanimous as you may be when someone tells you to **** off. Such generosity!

And as for bimbos, whatever :rolleyes I've been to enough clubs to know you aren't going to get into any discussion with a girl that gets beyond, so did you see the Bachelor last week? That's why they're at clubs, not museums or bookstores or political lectures. That's why I haven't set foot in a club for at least five years. And it's so nice to know that now that scene seems to require Kevlar vests in addition to a cover charge. Helmets aren't necessary :lol Give me the Brunny any day.

And I don't consider professional women money-grubbing whores. Oh no. Selfish, venal and myopic, maybe. But whores? Never! In my experience whores care not a whit for money. My goodness, whatever gave you that idea? Shocking you would use such a term. Shocking. One might say self-indulgent...

Must be nice to live in your world guys, really nice. I just view women with more a jaundiced eye, that's all. I have great female friends, but when it comes to the mating game, I've seen an uglier side of them, very ugly(although I got a nice e-mail from my ex today. Figure that one out). I think some of you mistakenly put women on a pedestal, or think they're somehow above acting selfishly and venally. They aren't. I don't buy it. Like I said, this city brings out the worst in a lot of people, women included. This isn't whining or self-indulgent. Why you think it is is beyond me. Are all of you always so dismissive of experiences that don't exactly match your own?

Your experiences are hardly unique. The issue is not that we can't understand because our experiences differ from yours, but that you condemn practically all females because of your own personal experiences. Would your comments be acceptable if you subsituted "blacks", "the chinese", or any other ethnic group for "women"?

And as for bimbos, whatever I've been to enough clubs to know you aren't going to get into any discussion with a girl that gets beyond, so did you see the Bachelor last week? That's why they're at clubs, not museums or bookstores or political lectures. That's why I haven't set foot in a club for at least five years. And it's so nice to know that now that scene seems to require Kevlar vests in addition to a cover charge. Helmets aren't necessary Give me the Brunny any day.

Sure...from your experiences. It's kind of arrogant to dismiss all women at clubs because you haven't had the best experiences with them!

And I don't consider professional women money-grubbing whores. Oh no. Selfish, venal and myopic, maybe.
Again...with the all encompassing stereotypes...

Oh, this is so much fun! I love having my romantic life and views of women examined so thoroughly (and at three in the morning too!). I'm flattered guys, really I am. :eek:

About the club thing. It's funny so many guys go to them thinking they'll get some action (and let's face it, this is the heart of the matter). One of the reasons I stopped going to them was because I had much better luck at pubs. So there you go. No attitude, no pretences, etc. And I actually had decent conversations prior to you-know-what, so I suppose I had my cake and ate it too. And it was cheaper, which helps. Club girls don't like me, I don't like them, it's that simple. It's too tribal and exclusionary, that whole scene. I'm not into the whole primping, Barbie doll thing anyway...most girls I know who I respect and find attractive have long outgrown clubs or never went to them, so it's not like I'm missing anything. Fundamentally, I find something not quite right about someone who needs to place so much emphasis on exterior appearances, and that's what a lot of these clubs are all about. It's like a child beauty pageant for (so-called) grown-ups. I find the whole scene just too damn conformist and silly and the people there take themselves way too seriously. Keep in mind, most downtown clubs are heavily populated with 905 girls, which is a whole other thread...I also laugh when I see people lined up in front of these places. They look like old Soviet-era bread lines (albeit in designer duds).

Plus I can't stand the music they play. Any music that has to be listened to in cavernous boxes crammed with people can't have much merit aside from background music designed to get you to buy overpriced drinks, much like the muzac piped into the Gap is designed to make you buy more chinos. Blech. Besides, everytime someone asks me to go to a club I always think of the part from the Smiths' How Soon is Now? and the empty, souless atmosphere I've always felt inside them:

There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home, and you cry
And you want to die

Plus, I have friends who work in clubs, and who have related to me the ugly reality behind the gloss. There's a grim, Darwinian-esthetic vibe that is intolerant and empty in its belief that if you dress up ornately enough you're somehow worthier than the poor souls who didn't get on a VIP list. It's borderline fascist, and I find there's an ugly class dynamic at play given all the money that goes into this. So any woman who is drawn to that, well, odds are they'll have a mindset that can't see beyond that. That's been my experience. But hey, if that's your thing...

As for professionals, well, I'll let the divorce stats speak for themselves. There are a lot of harried, unhappy people out there who thought if they could have the nice house, nice car and shiny kids, all would be bliss. I just find that a lot of women (not all), but a lot of women are too laser-focused on themselves and their careers at the expense of other things. They're one-dimensional. Honestly, I wouldn't touch most of them even if they were more receptive. So there you have it.

But by all means, keep the advice flowing fellas. :tup:

fiendishlibrarian,

I agree with a lot of what you say, though you do sound a little bit jaded. But this comes with experience.

Advice:
Stick to Toronto women that aren't from Toronto. I've always found them more receptive, passionate, loving and less "stuck up" (sorry. couldn't think of a better way to say it).

Back