2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     4 

Queen, west of Spadina

C

cdl42

Mislav's now-closed thread reminded me that I wanted to ask about another strip of recently-closed and demolished stores on the south side of Queen, just to the west of Spadina.

A total of about 5 or so buildings have been abandoned and demolished. It destroyed a line of narrow storefronts and I fear that any replacement won't properly reflect Queen West. What's supposed to be happening here?

Not sure what's happening there, but I was wondering that myself. In the stretch east of Spadina, there were at least 3 demolitions recently, with replacements under construction.

A total of about 5 or so buildings have been abandoned and demolished. It destroyed a line of narrow storefronts and I fear that any replacement won't properly reflect Queen West.

Hmmm, I don't like the sound of that.

Seems somewhat inevitable. Queen West may become a victim of its own success.

I can't speak to the properties west of Spadina but as far as one demolished building east of Spadina (south of Beverly - Formerly Chicago's Diner) I was told by the owner of the restaurant that it was going to become a boutique hotel on the upper floors. They were going to move the restaurant back into the groundfloor but I have my doubts about that.

Demolitions at Queen and Spadina:

P1050581.jpg

East of Spadina

P1050582.jpg

West of Spadina

Thanks for the pics, Wylie. Too bad the second one doesn't really show how large a demolished site it is.

re:Buildings west of Spadina

The buildings just W. of Spadina, were unfortunately in such a state that they had no choice but to take them down- we all know the spiel: wait and wait until there is no other option than demolition.

The ones directly east are also in a bad state of repair and I fear those too, will be on their way to the wreckers ball. I think the tendancy to rip down buildings in this area and replace them with larger spaces, is becoming more attractive with the ever rising rents-

p5

Re: re:Buildings west of Spadina

H&M is moving onto Queen Street and I suspect that its at one of these two 'rebuilt' locations.

Well, that's another reason why the entire stretch should be (and is planned to be) designated a Hertiage District?

AoD

Hertiage District

Please not. IMHO they should limit what is determined a "Heritage" building/site to a very few historical buildings -- and those the government should be willing to purchase.

Old buildings come down, new buildings go up.... The only thing that would be nice is that they make the new buildings distinctive (in a positive way).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a Heritage District designation would provide blanket prevention from demolition.

What the area needs more than anything is a BIA who could plan some initatives to fix up the streetscape. I'm amazed there isn't one already.

Under the Ontario Hertiage Act R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER O.18

Erection, demolition, etc.

42. (1) No owner of property situated in a heritage conservation district that has been designated by a municipality under this Part shall do any of the following, unless the owner obtains a permit from the municipality to do so:

1. Alter, or permit the alteration of, any part of the property, other than the interior of any structure or building on the property.

2. Erect, demolish or remove any building or structure on the property or permit the erection, demolition or removal of such a building or structure. 2005, c. 6, s. 32 (1).

www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLa...e.htm#BK76

42(2), which is part of of the amendments on the Act by the current government in 2005, is what empowers the municipalities to prevent demolitions of any building included in such a district.

And here is some addition reports/presentations from the City of Toronto on the Queen Street West Hertiage Conservation District:

www.toronto.ca/heritage-p...n_west.htm

Come to think of it, the imminent designation of the district could very well be the reason why those buildings were demolished...

AoD

No harm in some of these coming down so long as what replaces them fits in. So built to the sidewalk, no driveways or plazas, retail on Queen, no higher than 4 or 5 floors etc.

Back