News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Queen and Spadina SE corner... in peril?

Dandy Horse

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been around the intersection of Queen and Spadina for about three years now, and i must say, i am sort of concerned that the Lettieri building (SE corner) will collapse.

The pillar that is holding up the fancy corner thing is made out of sandstone and it is worn away, a lot. if you touch it, it crumbles on your fingers, and it is hour-glass shaped right now like this )(.

i really like that building, and i dont want it to fall down and be salad king pt.2.

what should we do?

If I recall correctly, the crumbling pillar is reinforced with thick steel, isn't it?

Yeah, there's a huge I-beam under the crumbling stone (the stone is decorative, not load-bearing). Don't worry about it. The building could seriously use some TLC, though.

the metal support you're talking about isn't very big at all, and its an L shape, i would guess less than 4 inches on each side. are you absolutely sure thats its holding up the corner, and is not just some sort of precautionary addition to the crumbling part?

anyway, is there any authority that enforces maintenance on old buidlings?

Have you *seen* our old buildings? Clearly, we don't have this figured out as a society.

That crappy Bay Street Hotel at Bay and Elm is awful too-- the brick is crumbling and rows of it are collapsing. It honestly strikes me as unsafe.

Well, the building is already in flux.

Though one thing I can see Mayor Ford doing: fasttracking the demolition at Yonge + Gould...

That crappy Bay Street Hotel at Bay and Elm is awful too-- the brick is crumbling and rows of it are collapsing. It honestly strikes me as unsafe.

I thought that building was getting rehabilitated as a boutique hotel or something like that. Anything going on there?

Back