News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.2K     5 

Quebec-Windsor Corridor

We need to rethink the way we transport goods from one end of the country to the other.
I’d settle for one end of the GTA to the other. Let’s start by addressing Just in Time logistics, where the private sector offloads their warehouse costs onto the public.

What about merchandise that doesn't fit in a container?
The question is surely what are the incentives the market currently lacks to shift to rail. There was a story in the Star this weekend about wildcat construction of trucking facilities in the Brampton area but municipalities don’t have the wherewithal to subsidize rail logistics. As we have seen in Milton, it’s hardly like intermodal rail yards are welcomed with open arms, either.

I’d settle for one end of the GTA to the other. Let’s start by addressing Just in Time logistics, where the private sector offloads their warehouse costs onto the public.
To get rid of that, you need all the plants to be able to warehouse things.With J-I-T the highway is the warehouse.

They could designate the 401 to be a local truck route only between the 115 and the 407, forcing all thru trucks to use the 407. This could help build the case to spend billions to buy back the 407. Or, just expropriate it.

Again. The language in this agenda item is looking for solution without first understanding the root cause.
It’s gonna be a waste of time and energy.

It may mostly be a "noise motion", but it will be interesting to see who on Council is willing to declare the Premier's idea a dumb one, versus who will declare "cars, cars, cars"..

Might be a good discussion to watch on Youtube!

- Paul

Back