1.1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.9K     9 

Quebec Liberal concedes defeat - supports Tories

C

cacruden

Quebec Liberal concedes defeat
Throws support behind Tories

Gilles Savard, the Liberal candidate for the riding of Jonquiere-Alma, is throwing his support behind the Tories to stave off a Bloc Quebecois victory.
Canadian Press
Published: Thursday, January 19, 2006

OTTAWA - A Liberal candidate in Quebec is conceding defeat and urging his supporters to vote for the Conservative party.

Gilles Savard, the Liberal candidate for the riding of Jonquiere-Alma, is throwing his support behind the Tories to stave off a Bloc Quebecois victory.

Savard pulled out because polls showed he only had five per cent support in the riding in a province that has seen a recent swell of support for the Tories.

The Conservative candidate in the riding, Jean-Pierre Blackburn, was an MP under former prime minister Brian Mulroney.

A spokeswoman for the Quebec branch of the federal Liberal party says she doesn't know what Savard's intentions are.

Irene Marchterre says Savard's name is still on the ballot and there's no way for him to pull out.

In the 2004 election, Bloc Quebecois candidate Sebastien Gagnon won the riding by more than 11,000 votes over his closest rival, Liberal Daniel Giguere.

This election gets more foolish with each passing day. I think you could sum up the election in 5 simple sound bites.

Martin: "Harper....bad....loves Bush....hates Canada....he's scary!"

Harper: [The voice inside Harpers head] Smile.....smile....look friendly....just talk about corruption and free money and everything will be ok.

Layton: "We are the 3rd choice. Just give us a chance, please. Pretty please? Come on, just this once?"

Duceppe: "It doesnt matter what I say in the rest of Canada so hey, I propose that Maple Syrup now be called Quebec Syrup because I dont like the association with the Canadian Flag."

Harris: "Is anyone paying attention to me?"

(Inspiration from a sketch I heard on CBC radio a week ago.)

Nobody has the guts to predict that BQ might possible *drop* in raw numbers of seats, but I'll say so. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost every seat around Quebec City to the Tories except for Quebec (too inner-city, where BQ serves as an NDP proxy), Louis-Hebert (where Liberal ex-MP Helene Scherrer splits the federalist vote), and Portneuf (which'd go to an independent, talk-radio loudmouth Andre Arthur)...

Looks like he (or actually the PM) had second thoughts about dropping out..... I am guessing something was said to the fact that he would not ever run as a Liberal again.

Back