News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 

Province eyes Metrolinx shakeup

You aren't. But how much say do you have at Metrolinx?
The previous comment was that *everyone* involved with Metrolinx and GO are hacks. That's a pretty broad brush, and one single countexample is enough to prove it false.

The previous comment was that *everyone* involved with Metrolinx and GO are hacks. That's a pretty broad brush, and one single countexample is enough to prove it false.

Gold star to you, sir.

But to answer the question. Have I written policy documents? No. Have I brought an opinion to the table that might have otherwise been ignored. I like to think so.

So I'm a hack? You don't even know me...

My apologies, I think I know enough about you to know that you are not a hack. I referring to the Metrolinx board and the way Metrolinx merge with GO Transit, another organization with a history of being run by hacks. Even ShonTron kept pointing out how GO was chaired by a dentist. Metrolinx seems just a continuation of that. If the people at the very top are hacks (and they are), then what can you do?

Just a quick side note: it appears that Metrolinx and GO have nailed down some terminology. GO is being described as "A Division of Metrolinx" with such appearing in small print below the GO logo. I've seen this usage in several places, including the 2009/10 accessibility plan below, with all uses in a consistent font:

http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/general/Accessibility_Plan_2009-2010_FNL.pdf

I presume that they won't apply this version of the logo to vehicles. :)

Metrolinx Nov. 16 Board meeting agenda (going on right now)
http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/Agendas/Nov16_09/Metrolinx_Board_Agenda_111609.pdf

from a press release
Metrolinx Board to Receive Update on “Big 5†Transit Projects

TORONTO, November 13, 2009 – The Metrolinx Board of Directors will receive an update on the “Big 5†transit projects during the public session of its meeting on Monday, November 16, 2009.

These “Big 5†transit projects – VIVA Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), Sheppard East Light Rail Transit (LRT), Finch LRT, Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Scarborough Rapid Transit – will be breakthroughs in transit expansion, adding more transit options for commuters, easing gridlock on the highways, and improving air quality for residents across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

John Howe, Vice President, Investment Strategy at Metrolinx will be available for media inquiries about these projects following the public meeting.

Since they are planning transit for the whole GTA, would it kill these guys to webstream their meetings or otherwise make them accessible to people north of Queen Street?

I maybe the lone voice of dissent here. But i actually think it's a good thing that they aren't completely open. Transit issues get politicized far too easily. No use risking some development because of some off-the-cuff comment by some Metrolinx board member.

As long as they publish their minutes, reports, analysis, records of decision, I am happy.

I maybe the lone voice of dissent here. But i actually think it's a good thing that they aren't completely open. Transit issues get politicized far too easily. No use risking some development because of some off-the-cuff comment by some Metrolinx board member.

As long as they publish their minutes, reports, analysis, records of decision, I am happy.

Not the lone voice as I totally agree. Making meetings like this too public puts too much pressure on them to "try and please everyone"...rather than doing what is intuitively right!

Since they are planning transit for the whole GTA, would it kill these guys to webstream their meetings or otherwise make them accessible to people north of Queen Street?

I hear Metrolinx is considering establishing a network of train and bus lines across the GTA that will feed into a station conveniently located less than a five minute walk from their head office.

But I'll believe that when I see it. :p
`

Last edited:
SRT History

We will know early next year if the SRT dies in 2011 or 2016.

If the LRT can be in place by 2015 to replace the SRT for the Pam Am Games to Sheppard, the SRT will cease to exist in 2011 with the conversion to LRT underway. The LRT will only run to Sheppard as there is no money to take it north as plan. (first cut to TC funding)

If it cannot be ready for the games, it will stay alive until the games are over. Then it will be replace.

They had press releases about the Metrolinx meeting today regarding an update of the "Big 5" projects but it seems like no press showed up because there is no news out of it unless they are waiting until tomorrow morning to release it.

Back