News   Aug 01, 2024
 656     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 754     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 549     0 

Priceless

If one does not use a MetroPass, or any other pass, sufficiently to exceed the equivalent number of token fares, it would end up as a windfall for the TTC. Similar to getting a Christmas gift card and losing it.

$1452 - cost for 12 months of Metropass on the TTC
If your getting 12 months it's $1332.

Sure I'm being pedantic, but if you're making fun of others for making mistakes, then you shouldn't make them yourself.

Last edited:
Also don't forget all of the 905's transit agency's are better funded then the TTC on a per capita basis. There fare box recovery numbers are very low in comparison - still high actually when compared to many American cities.
So you really cannot compare the 905 to 416 - completely different animals ... honestly could be half way across the world.

Outside of Toronto you would also wait 30 minutes for a bus at 10 PM in the evening.
I occasionally have to wait 30 minutes for a TTC bus at 10 in the evening when I just miss the previous bus.

If your getting 12 months it's $1332.

Sure I'm being pedantic, but if your making fun of others for making mistakes, then you shouldn't make them yourself.
you're

Outside of Toronto you would also wait 30 minutes for a bus at 10 PM in the evening.

I assume you mean 30 minute frequencies, not 30 minute waits, because the average wait time with 30 minute frequencies is 15 minutes. 30 minute waits would mean 60 minute frequencies. If you are always waiting 30 minutes for a bus that comes by every 30 minutes then you have extremely bad luck and you should think about improving your karma.

But yes, there are several 905 routes with frequencies better than 30 minutes at 10pm: Hurontario, Dundas, Burnhamthorpe, Yonge, Queen, Eglinton, Dixie, Bloor, Confederation, Glen Erin/Erin Mills, Highway 7, Rathburn...

Not that it matters. High level of service does not justify high fares. Cost of living is not reduced just because there is less wait times for buses. It is great to attract people who are well off who can afford cars to transit. But there are a lot of people who have no choice but to use transit, so raising fares to attract the other people is not a good thing.

The real question is: how many TTC routes give you a time-based transfer? The answer: only one.

And with the freedom to go where you want, when you want, with whom you want... it's worth every penny.
To some extent ... though being in Toronto with good transit, the second one was parked 99% of the time taking up space. I doubt we can eliminate cars, but we can sure reduce them.

And with the freedom to go where you want, when you want, with whom you want... it's worth every penny.

I have personally found thats only true for half the trip. For the other half, I seem to be obligated to go back to where the car is (often by cab) and return it home. When my schedule changes I seem obligated to go back and pay for additional parking time. Honestly, the time spent baby-sitting the car doesn't make it worth while for many local trips (under 30 km) or long distance trips (over 500km).

Drove to Ottawa once and needed to get back quickly (next flight). It was a royal bitch getting back to Ottawa to retrieve the car.

Took the Ferry to St. Johns this summer and decided the trip from Port aux Basque was pretty boring, so flew to Quebec city instead of returning out the way I arrove -- pretty damn happy I didn't drive that trip.

I think the happy medium for me would be to rent a car when needed, using one of the rental agencies that lets be pick-up and drop-off the car at any location I please, as there is that sweet-spot for trips between about 30km and 300km where it can be useful. Few of my trips are of that distance though.

Took the Ferry to St. Johns this summer and decided the trip from Port aux Basque was pretty boring, so flew to Quebec city instead of returning out the way I arrove -- pretty damn happy I didn't drive that trip.
Ah, that's one of those trips you have to take once ... but twice would be painful. There's another option these days, instead of taking the ferry to Cape Breton, you can take the short (about 2-hour) ferry ride across the Labrador Straights to Blanc-Sablon Quebec, and then drive the Trans-Labrador highway to Goose Bay, Sept-Isles, and onto Quebec City. I did it a few years ago, but the Trans-Labrador highway wasn't finished then, and you had to take a ferry from Cartwright to Goose Bay - but the highway is now open all the way - not that Google knows about it yet ...

Back