News   Jul 15, 2024
 393     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 549     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 564     0 

Pretty much the last gasp for TTC type & tile preservation

"I come from an art background - and the Bloor/Danforth stations are boring," said Commissioner Sandra Bussin

We had a laugh at the various comments surround the stations at TTC meeting yesterday and this one of them.

This quote would be laughable if I could bear the thought of the TTC destroying the BD line with their incompetent renovations.

Museum is a disaster.

I said to the commissioners that I gave the Museum a C rating. Joe Mihevc, Vice Chair wanted to say something about my statement but end up not at the request of the Chair.

"I come from an art background - and the Bloor/Danforth stations are boring," said Commissioner Sandra Bussin

Well I don't come form an arts background, and I still think that the BD stations are ugly. I'm a little bit surprised (but not in a bad way) at the number of people that like the BD line. That won't change my own opinion, but what I will say is that if so many people think that the BD line is worth saving, then it should certainly be saved.

Listen, Sandy, if you're from an "art background", whaddaya think of the idea of restoring the existing "heritage stations" (Rosedale, Wellesley, whatever) to something like their original integrity?

Listen, Sandy, if you're from an "art background", whaddaya think of the idea of restoring the existing "heritage stations" (Rosedale, Wellesley, whatever) to something like their original integrity?

Restoring those stations seems like more of a priority than rearranging the rest of the system. Do we know, for sure, that restoration is off their radar? Or do they just think the public will only get excited about renovation?

Also, something that I've been mulling over for the last little bit. I think we need to also start separating the stations from their track-level platforms.

The surface stations, much more so than the platforms, embody the clean mid-century modern aesthetic that so many adore. All the great details are at the surface though, by the time you make it underground a lot of the thoughtful details are gone - replaced by painted concrete ceilings and pure utilitarianism.

Some stations should be renovated and preserved in their entirety (Wellesley, Rosedale, Dupont, Castlefrank, + what others?) while some stations should be preserved only at the surface level, leading into renovated platforms. It might create too much of a visual disconnection, but it also might allow us to have our cake and eat it to.

Some stations should be renovated and preserved in their entirety (Wellesley, Rosedale, Dupont, Castlefrank, + what others?) while some stations should be preserved only at the surface level, leading

If you're raising Dupont, you might as well raise the Spadina line in toto...

If you're raising Dupont, you might as well raise the Spadina line in toto...

No, not everything has to be preserved. We should preserve the ones we can make a case for, and that show excellence in their design. Dupont is exceptional in a way that very few stations are.

So what other stations from the Spadina line should be included? St. Patrick? Downsview? Glencairn?

Absolutely Eglinton West. I love the surface building. The glass, the roof, the signage. It's everything a subway station from that era should be.

No, not everything has to be preserved. We should preserve the ones we can make a case for, and that show excellence in their design. Dupont is exceptional in a way that very few stations are.

So what other stations from the Spadina line should be included? St. Patrick? Downsview? Glencairn?

St. Patrick doesn't count; it's of the 1963 University line, not of the 1978 Spadina line.

Other than the two in-house-designed "ringers" (St. Clair West; Wilson), basically *all* of the Spadina line qualifies (and how can you be oblivious to the two Erickson ones: Eg W + Yorkdale...)

St. Patrick doesn't count; it's of the 1963 University line, not of the 1978 Spadina line.

Doesn't count for...restoration or conservation?

Other than the two in-house-designed "ringers" (St. Clair West; Wilson), basically *all* of the Spadina line qualifies (and how can you be oblivious to the two Erickson ones: Eg W + Yorkdale...)

Heheh, you're such a jerk sometimes :D Why don't you take the opportunity to highlight those two stations instead of trying to make it seem like someone's an idiot for not knowing every single detail of our subway system :p I DID ask what other stations should be included. Anyway, you don't always have to take the holier than thou attitude - this IS only the internet you know :rolleyes: Keep it real.

Yorkdale Station is already on the list of heritage properties. So we add Downsview, Glencairn?, Eglinton West, and Dupont? That leaves Wilson, Lawrence West, St. Clair West, and St. George for redevelopment?

Doesn't count for...restoration or conservation?
Doesn't count as part of the 1978 Spadina line--which was specifically meant as an art/architectural showcase, i.e. a clear (if self-conscious) break from the "bathroom tile" rep.

Yorkdale Station is already on the list of heritage properties. So we add Downsview, Glencairn?, Eglinton West, and Dupont? That leaves Wilson, Lawrence West, St. Clair West, and St. George for redevelopment?

Downsview was opened 18 years after the rest of the Spadina line--though in a similar "enlightened design" spirit, so, age aside, it could count.

Lawrence West also counts, as does Spadina on the Spadina line--they, too, were "out-of-house" productions, and it shows. (Indeed, the 70s constructivism of Lawrence West might be the most underrated of the lot; maybe its "dated" colour scheme and lack of maintenance, or being overshadowed by the Ericksons, explains the fact.) St. George doesn't count, because it's a 1963/66er. (Though as w/St. Patrick, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't count, period.)

All in all, those more astute style-based skeptics re designating the whole B-D would opt for designating the whole Spadina line, instead...

Doesn't count as part of the 1978 Spadina line--which was specifically meant as an art/architectural showcase, i.e. a clear (if self-conscious) break from the "bathroom tile" rep.

No, I understood what you were saying - I was just wondering if you actually felt the station was worth preserving. The larger conversation is about station preservation, let's not get too hung up on only talking about specific sections of it a time.

Downsview was opened 18 years after the rest of the Spadina line--though in a similar "enlightened design" spirit, so, age aside, it could count.

Lawrence West also counts, as does Spadina on the Spadina line--they, too, were "out-of-house" productions, and it shows. (Indeed, the 70s constructivism of Lawrence West might be the most underrated of the lot; maybe its "dated" colour scheme and lack of maintenance, or being overshadowed by the Ericksons, explains the fact.) St. George doesn't count, because it's a 1963/66er. (Though as w/St. Patrick, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't count, period.)

Why couldn't this be at track level:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/55069049/in/set-1169190/

Lawrence West should deff. be kept:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/55074101/in/set-1169190/

I guess it's really only St. Clair (that tile work is atrocious) and Spadina that need help (and it probably only needs a good cleaning)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/75460494/in/set-1169190/

I guess it's really only St. Clair (that tile work is atrocious) and Spadina that need help (and it probably only needs a good cleaning)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/75460494/in/set-1169190/

St. Clair West's tiles aren't that bad:

I can't picture what St. Clair West would look like without them. They seem to be in harmony (no pun intended) with the other elements of the design like the mural "Tempo". Perhaps they're visual interpretations of musical elements like notes, rhythms, and so on. They look like there's something artistic to them.

All of the Spadina line designs are rich and wonderful. They need a lot of maintenance and some promotion.

I would vote against exposed concrete walls just out of concern for concrete dust being caused as a result. I think something should be put on the walls even if it is only a clear coat to help it clean easier and to seal it.

Back