News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 819     0 

President Joe Biden's United States of America

As generic U.S. political news, I'll stick this here:

As members will know........a living wage or at least a minimum wage much closer to that is one of my hobby horses......

I feel its the perfect marriage of 'left' and 'right' politically, because its about providing a strong incentive to work, and a wage that allows people to live with less government/charitable support.
At the same time, rising cost of labour means that business will invest in productivity, which is the key to real economic growth over time. It also raises government revenue (income tax and sales tax) without
raising tax rates. Which depending on one's politics could go to greater spending, deficit reduction or lower taxes.

All that said.........the above article discusses 'West Hollywood' raising its minimum wage to $17.64USD by July 1st, 2023.

That's $22.45CAD per hour.

I'd be more than happy to see that here, as I see enumerable benefits.

As generic U.S. political news, I'll stick this here:

As members will know........a living wage or at least a minimum wage much closer to that is one of my hobby horses......

I feel its the perfect marriage of 'left' and 'right' politically, because its about providing a strong incentive to work, and a wage that allows people to live with less government/charitable support.
At the same time, rising cost of labour means that business will invest in productivity, which is the key to real economic growth over time. It also raises government revenue (income tax and sales tax) without
raising tax rates. Which depending on one's politics could go to greater spending, deficit reduction or lower taxes.

All that said.........the above article discusses 'West Hollywood' raising its minimum wage to $17.64USD by July 1st, 2023.

That's $22.45CAD per hour.

I'd be more than happy to see that here, as I see enumerable benefits.
That's 1320.22 Russian Rubles for the fiscal conservatives.

On the subject of my perennial project (raising the minimum wage) there is a move afoot to further raise the minimum wage in California, which will rise to $15USD per hour on January 1st for large employers, fulfilling a previous ballot initiative requirement.

A new ballot initiative (legally binding referendum) is being mooted to raise the State's minimum to $18USD by Jan 1st, 2025 and then index to inflation from there.

$18USD, at current exchange rates, is $22.91CAD per hour.

That would be incredibly close to a living wage here in Toronto.

Doubtless, with inflation, it would be just a hair under by 2025. But one can hope for a situation in which someone working full-time (40 hours per week) can actually earn enough to be self-supporting, and not require
a food bank to make ends meet.

We'll have to see if this is accurate........that's a big 'IF'........

But it appears Politico has obtained a draft decision from the U.S. Supreme Court (not yet public) that overturns Roe v. Wade:

But it appears Politico has obtained a draft decision from the U.S. Supreme Court (not yet public) that overturns Roe v. Wade:

If that did in fact happen it would set the US back 60 years and alienate alot of people.

There are some things you don't do. Striking down abortion rights is one of those things.

This would make the US look like absolute idiots on the global stage and confirm to the world they are a right wing theocracy.

Say what you will but the US is not a democracy, It is a theocracy where the word of god trumps all. You can't do anything without religion being mentioned or involved in the US.

Say what you will but the US is not a democracy, It is a theocracy where the word of god trumps all. You can't do anything without religion being mentioned or involved in the US.

A bit hyperbolas but definitely somewhat true.........

Of course..........their religion is less idealized Christianity.........

Which I would argue is typified by this quote attributed to Jesus:

1651547140521.png

Than....

"And God said let there be a first down"

Americans are getting the government they voted for. Or at least acquiesced to with low turnout and apathy.

figure04.png

2020 was just sightly better. But still overall turnout 62%. More than 1 in 3 eligible voters in the US didn't cast a ballot. That turnout is on the lower end for Canadians.

Might be enough to move the midterms, which are currently not looking good for Democrats.

To be clear, overturning Roe v Wade would remove federal constitutional protection for an abortion decision, and return the law to individual states. It will likely result in a return to an ever-shifting patchwork of laws.

To be clear, overturning Roe v Wade would remove federal constitutional protection for an abortion decision, and return the law to individual states. It will likely result in a return to an ever-shifting patchwork of laws.

The ruling is based on rolling down privacy rights. That puts under threat contraception, same sex marriage and even segregation, etc.

Oh well. This is America being America. Democrats and Republican women always found some excuse not to turn out for the Democratic Party. Elections have consequences. Their dislike of Hilary Clinton gave Donald Trump three Supreme Court justices. Now they get to enjoy the fruits of a completely politicized judiciary.

Here in Canada we have zero restrictions on abortion. And yet our abortion numbers are far below those in the US. Why? My guess is, firstly, here in Canada we have much less religious and parental interference in sex education for young girls (and boys) and contraception is freely available without parental consent, meaning we avoid more unwanted pregnancies. And secondly, we make it easier for women to keep their children, through 12-18 month government paid maternity leave, free health care for everyone, a child tax credit and the new national affordable childcare plan (Quebec has this already, and it works).

I just don’t understand my American neighbours, you look and sound like us, but you somehow have yourself stuck in a combative cycle of religious interference, guns and abortion. If you truly want to prevent or reduce abortions, ask the potential mothers what they need to prevent pregnancies and/or to keep their pregnancies. Come to Canada, we’ll show you how it’s done. While you’re here ask us how we can run federal elections in under 60 days costing a few million with zero corporate donations and national voter ID and voting standards, all run by a nonpartisan federal agency. It’s not that hard, just look around the world for best practices… up or north.

It isn’t just the religious aspect, it’s economic as well. Contraception is more readily available at no or low cost in Canada.

From Wikipedia: 'Unenforced State bans on Abortion that would go into effect if Roe v. Wade were Overturned'

1651581057219.png

There are several additional states w/deep restrictions such as a six-week gestation time limit, and parental consent laws, as well as mandatory waiting periods and counseling

Make note, in the above that 2 states (Wisconsin and Michigan border Ontario).........but also note that Ohio's law is very restrictive with a ban as soon as a fetal heartbeat can be detected (~5/6 weeks) and makes no exceptions
for rape or incest either.

Oh well. This is America being America. Democrats and Republican women always found some excuse not to turn out for the Democratic Party. Elections have consequences. Their dislike of Hilary Clinton gave Donald Trump three Supreme Court justices. Now they get to enjoy the fruits of a completely politicized judiciary.

While I certainly agree that a Clinton presidency would have been preferable to Trump; I think you let the Democrats off the hook here.

When they have had total control in DC, as they did in the first 2 years of Obama, they failed to increase minimum wage (despite that being an Obama campaign promise); they failed to enact any sensible gun control, they failed
to address rapid de-industrialization in rural/mid-western America, and the associated economic dislocation etc etc.)

There is a point where the party faithful lose faith that voting makes a difference.

That the party faithful are wrong in this case, that option B is materially worse is not in dispute; but neither does that let the party off the hook for under-delivering for 2 generations.

Back