News   Jul 16, 2024
 676     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 601     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 739     2 

President Joe Biden's United States of America

In Canada, its the carbon tax. There is a rebate.

From link.

Actually, in Canada, it's all manner of subsidies and tax code complications.

I mean, in addition to that. Yes, we have that, but it's only applied in provinces that haven't applied their own regime that's deemed "suitable" by the feds. Most of which are not a tax on pollution.

Never mind that a carbon tax isn't a tax on other forms of pollution, be they mine tailings leaching out or plastic rubbish....but that's besides the point and just me going off again. :D

I think the best thing government can do for bike adoption is to dedicate more money to cycling infrastructure.

Of course. Subsidising consumer choices is beyond ridiculous.

I think the cost of the bikes is not a barrier to people using them. They need to feel safe and find it convenient to use bikes.

Anecdotal, yes, but for sure the number one thing I hear from people in my life is that biking doesn't seem to be an encouraged option given that we haven't made it such.

And thrill, and possibly empower others; hence the problem remains.

I have no sympathy for Mr. Trump; but I'm less concerned about his non-impeachment, than I am about whether the underlying 'facts on the ground' that led to his Presidency remain.

That's about the Republican Party itself, of course; about partisanship and political discourse more broadly; but its also about whether those Americans whose fortunes have waned, in geographic areas that have waned are made to see value in more congenial and even progressive government.

A modest amount of that will be sadly, if practically addressed by a certain amount of age attrition in his base.

But a good deal will remain; and may even grow if the U.S. can't find ways to lift up the standard of living, and education of those in midwest/rustbelt and rural areas.

They also need to find ways to promote greater social mixing, which clearly colours politics and promotes greater social acceptance by and large.

If they can address those; and ideally abolish the Electoral College (ambitious, I know), then a Trump isn't electable.

If they fail; he or someone like him may be even more electable down the road.

Last edited:
But a good deal will remain; and may even grow if the U.S. can't find ways to lift up the standard of living, and education of those in midwest/rustbelt and rural areas.
This is the problem: people denigrate his supporters when they aren't the real problem. It's pretty disgusting in a lot of cases.

Like blaming the German people for the rise of Nazism. This sort of scapegoating of groups of people instead of addressing the causes of their discontent never ends well.
See, for example, the Czechoslovakian government, post-war, expelling most Germans, which is til this day a national shame.

It can't be said often enough: the ridiculous comments the likes of which were most famously uttered by Hilary Clinton instead of an actual attempt to understand these people's motivations and the underlying causes of their problems which are massive socio-economic issues need to be called out at every opportunity.

So is the US’ southern border now open to mass migration? If so, the Dems can kiss 2022 goodbye.

So is the US’ southern border now open to mass migration? If so, the Dems can kiss 2022 goodbye.

I don't think so. With the wall, forced detainment, etc I can't see this going badly. California is alot more accepting of Mexicans than most places

See here:

There was a series of spa shootings in Atlanta and area reminiscent of the machete attack here in Toronto last year.

However, the Atlanta spa shootings allegedly targeted Asian women and the suspect, Robert Aaron Long, an avid hunter who became obsessed with religion, wanted to "eliminate the temptation" of his sex addiction.

Long is considered an incel. Misogyny in any form must be condemned. Anti-Asian sentiment must also be condemned.

Biden to Reach 100 Million Vaccinations Goal Five Weeks Early

President Joe Biden is poised to meet his goal of delivering 100 million Covid-19 vaccine shots in his first 100 days in office as soon as Thursday, reaching the milestone more than a month ahead of time.

As of Wednesday, his 57th day in office, the U.S. had vaccinated nearly 98 million people since Biden’s inauguration. The pace of shots has risen to an average of nearly 2.5 million per day for the last week.

That leaves Biden within grasp of his target on Thursday -- the 58th day of his presidency -- and poised to hit it no later than Friday, barring a major slowdown. He’s scheduled to speak publicly on Thursday afternoon about the state of vaccinations.

With the pace continuing to accelerate, Biden is actually on course to double his goal and see 200 million shots by his 100th day as president, though hiccups in deliveries or rollout of the shots could impact that.

The achievement marks a significant political victory for Biden, who has made fighting the pandemic a cornerstone of his early presidency. And it comes after another win -- passage of his $1.9 trillion pandemic relief package, which the administration is promoting in a series of trips to electoral battleground states this week.

Biden has begun linking the two, and promised to both cross the 100-million shot milestone and deliver 100 million checks to people over the coming week.

The president is banking on the pace of vaccinations accelerating further. He has called on states to make all adults eligible for shots beginning May 1, regardless of age, health conditions or occupations, and he has said the U.S. will have enough doses for them all by the end of May.

Back