News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 608     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

With a provincial election potentially only a few months away, there have to concerns among the Liberal camp about Bonnie Crombie's ability to win a seat.

It's believed that Crombie wants to run in her hometown of Mississauga, but recent polling has the Doug Ford PCs in deep majority territory, and seat projections (interpreted with caution) have the PCs cleaning up in Mississauga.

1723574004947.png

1723574085350.png

Via 338.com

And looking at that map, a lot of those seat projections are simply...straight projections, extrapolating directly from the previous results. Which is what gives this crude form of stats-based election projectioneering an overtone of the pseudo-scientific...

Doug Ford’s education minister resigns after just 10 weeks on the job​

Smith, who has represented Bay of Quinte since 2011, stepped down Friday in a surprise move.

The former radio broadcaster has been a strong performer in the legislature’s question period and has been a cabinet minister since the Ford government was elected in 2018.
A source told the Star that Smith, who had served as energy minister, was displeased when Ford swapped him for Stephen Lecce in a June 6 cabinet shuffle.

I guess he didn't want to go back to school

By Robert BenzieQueen’s Park Bureau Chief, and Rob FergusonQueen’s Park Bureau

Todd Smith’s surprise resignation after just 10 weeks as education minister has forced Premier Doug Ford to shuffle his cabinet, promoting Colleges and Universities Minister Jill Dunlop to that key post.
Smith, 53, a Progressive Conservative MPP since 2011, stepped down Friday in a stunning move that will trigger a byelection in the riding of Bay of Quinte within six months.
His unexpected departure led a blindsided Ford to elevate Dunlop, 49, whose successor at the post-secondary education department is Nolan Quinn, 41, a first-term MPP who was associate minister of forestry.

Await the rest of the story . . .
We now have a cabinet of 37 ministers - how many can YOU name?? (Off-hand I managed 5!)

But Friday’s retirement unravelled the strategy behind the premier’s June 6 cabinet revamp that moved 14 ministers and expanded the executive council to 36 members. There will now be a record 37 ministers.

We now have a cabinet of 37 ministers - how many can YOU name?? (Off-hand I managed 5!)

But Friday’s retirement unravelled the strategy behind the premier’s June 6 cabinet revamp that moved 14 ministers and expanded the executive council to 36 members. There will now be a record 37 ministers.

But.. but.. gravy train.. efficiencies..

In an about-face of large proportions, the Ford Government is set to announce the largest expansion of green energy production in Ontario history (primarily wind/solar).

The initial call is for 2,000MW, but the total over 3 phases ending in 2034 is for 5,000MW. While noting that this is currently suitable as baseload power (because it rate of production isn't predictable/steady), on a peak day this would represent something like 1/6th of Ontario's energy consumption.

Also mentioned in the article linked below is that currently Ontario is averaging out to 9% of all of our electricity from wind, and 2% and change from solar.

Given this shift, apparently driver both by our growing population and by the new super-sized factories that governments have been subsidizing, the latter of which are keen to advertise emission-free electricity powered factories....

I would expect a commitment sometime soon major energy storage projects, to allow at least of the green energy to become de facto base load.

In an about-face of large proportions, the Ford Government is set to announce the largest expansion of green energy production in Ontario history (primarily wind/solar).

The initial call is for 2,000MW, but the total over 3 phases ending in 2034 is for 5,000MW. While noting that this is currently suitable as baseload power (because it rate of production isn't predictable/steady), on a peak day this would represent something like 1/6th of Ontario's energy consumption.

Also mentioned in the article linked below is that currently Ontario is averaging out to 9% of all of our electricity from wind, and 2% and change from solar.

Given this shift, apparently driver both by our growing population and by the new super-sized factories that governments have been subsidizing, the latter of which are keen to advertise emission-free electricity powered factories....

I would expect a commitment sometime soon major energy storage projects, to allow at least of the green energy to become de facto base load.
Some large utility scale battery installations have already been announced.

Why we aren't diverting stormwater from north of St. Clair to gravity-fed above-ground storage is beyond me. Especially knowing that climate change will give us many, many more of the types of storms we've seen recently. Store and release through turbines back to the lake when needed or the storm subsides. Free power right there, and presumably easier on the drainage system south of St. Clair. It could also double as active energy storage during dry periods as well. We have a natural height difference from uptown to the lake; we might as well take advantage of it.

Why we aren't diverting stormwater from north of St. Clair to gravity-fed above-ground storage is beyond me. Especially knowing that climate change will give us many, many more of the types of storms we've seen recently. Store and release through turbines back to the lake when needed or the storm subsides. Free power right there, and presumably easier on the drainage system south of St. Clair. It could also double as active energy storage during dry periods as well. We have a natural height difference from uptown to the lake; we might as well take advantage of it.
What neighbourhood would you recommend to be razed for the retention pond? Since storm water is a comparatively inconsistent flow, it would be a lot of upfront cost to produce. A general rule of thumb is you need a 1000kg of water to fall 450 m to produce 1KWh of electricity. Although it obviously varies, the elevation change from 'the old shoreline to the current one maxes out at about 100m, and that is spread across a couple of river valleys. You either need a lot of head (height) or a lot of volume.

What neighbourhood would you recommend to be razed for the retention pond? Since storm water is a comparatively inconsistent flow, it would be a lot of upfront cost to produce. A general rule of thumb is you need a 1000kg of water to fall 450 m to produce 1KWh of electricity. Although it obviously varies, the elevation change from 'the old shoreline to the current one maxes out at about 100m, and that is spread across a couple of river valleys. You either need a lot of head (height) or a lot of volume.

I’m not talking a full-on ravine-sized storage pond here. I’m talking building more storm water management facilities like the DR&CW project and adding a turbine to the release. Unless my knowledge of physics is wonky, a sustained angle path from the old shore to the new shore could make up for the lack of height.

And I only envision it as one of a great many methods of putting more energy on the grid.

Hell, if it were up to me, we’d be building molten salt-cooled underground SMRs in every neighbourhood; but we’ve got a ways to go before people will find that kind of thing acceptable next door.

Last edited:
I’m not talking a full-on ravine-sized storage pond here. I’m talking building more storm water management facilities like the DR&CW project and adding a turbine to the release. Unless my knowledge of physics is wonky, a sustained angle path from the old shore to the new shore could make up for the lack of height.

And I only envision it as one of a great many methods of putting more energy on the grid.

Hell, if it were up to me, we’d be building molten salt-cooled underground SMRs in every neighbourhood; but we’ve got a ways to go before people will find that kind of thing acceptable next door.
Yes it is, and so is your engineering. Also your understanding of SMRs, especially the 'S' part (and the fact that none are currently commercially proven).

Safe injection sites will be greatly reduced in numbers next year, based on leaked reports of a pending announcement from the provincial health minister this afternoon.

The principle new rule will be that these facilities must be 200M from any school or childcare centre.

The Star's quick take was that this would shutter (or force relocation) for 10 of 17 sites provincially and 5 out of 10 in Toronto.

Additionally, the province will spend 378M (over what time period is not specified) on addiction treatment, and will announce several hubs for same.

Back