News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

How are such conflicts of interest handled federally? Is there a service above the RCMP that investigates the Federal government?

How far can one pass the buck in policing?
Every police service in a democracy like ours is accountable to a civilian authority. There is no agency 'above' the RCMP and, besides, they would still be accountable to the federal government. Would you really want it any other way? The issue is not a matter of level or 'passing the buck' but more a matter of separation. I would think if there was something at the federal level that had some concern of impartiality, they would 'seek distance' by contacting the OPP, SQ, TPS, etc. They might have done that in the past but I can't think of an example instance off the top of my head.

Anyone who is seeking some level of law enforcement that is not ultimately accountable to a civilian authority really hasn't thought it through.

Edit to Add: CSIS has no criminal law enforcement authority and, besides, they are still accountable to civilian oversight.

Uh oh! Breaking news this morning and it's getting worse!

So they bought the land, got Ford to remove it from the Greenbelt so they could "build housing", but instead they immediately put it up for sale, or even worse they apparently put it up for sale before the land was even officially removed from the Greenbelt in anticipation of making a super quick buck with their insider knowledge he was going to do it.
I am not sure why, IF it was a good idea to remove land from the Greenbelt to build housing it makes any sense to return this land to the Greenbelt. If Ford's rationale is consistent that what is important is HOUSING, he should simply cancel the first sale and sell to another developer. Of course, if his primary rationale was to benefit his chums ....... Hard to know which it could possibly be!

I never want my police to remain neutral. There are two sides to Law and Order: criminal perpetrators and innocent victims. Who wants their police to be neutral between these two sides? Get the perps, protect the victims.
Neutral may not have been the perfect word to use but I doubt @Thinker (who can speak for him/her self) was thinking of equality between a criminal and a victim. What one wants (but certainly does not always get) is for police to be impartial and enforce the law equally and with no obvious bias or perception of bias. That is why, to avoid even the perception of bias, the OPP sometimes asks the RCMP to investigate cases involving their boss (the provincial government) and why the RCMP sometimes calls in a Provincial police agency to investigate things involving theirs.

Uh oh! Breaking news this morning and it's getting worse!

So they bought the land, got Ford to remove it from the Greenbelt so they could "build housing", but instead they immediately put it up for sale, or even worse they apparently put it up for sale before the land was even officially removed from the Greenbelt in anticipation of making a super quick buck with their insider knowledge he was going to do it.

Is it normal to allow buying of Greenbelt land? That seems really weird to me and would already start the warning bells ringing.

Is it normal to allow buying of Greenbelt land? That seems really weird to me and would already start the warning bells ringing.
The farmland in the greenbelt changes hands a fair bit. It may not have capital appreciation potential, but it still generates income, and in many cases a lot of it, like most farmland.
These farms aren't growing twee heirloom tomatoes or whatever, they collectively grow thousands of tons of corn and soy which gets processed into pig chow and chicken feed. It's certainly subject to market and weather risks, but in general it is profitable to own and to farm yourself, or to rent it out to other farmers for the income.

The drip, drip, drip is getting closer to the Thug.

Between this, the resale of the land and the underling that vacated their position there is definitely something going on here. I can see Ford stepping down if this gets any worse to save face especially if the RCMP launch an investigation.

This is not looking good for the PC's and may lead to some changes at the top.

I can see him backtracking on the whole Greenbelt fiasco before stepping down; but definitely a lot more weaseling around to keep it going. Reminds me a bit like his blue license plate pet project - which I still see on the road here and there.

Apparently the housing minister is staying put as per the Premiers office.

Does Doug Ford not realize he is giving the opposition reason to have his government investigated by the RCMP? By allowing the Minister to stay on without consequence despite being under investigation this gives reason to believe there is some backroom dealing going on.

Back